Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I kind of doubt Samba plays more than maybe 5-10 minutes in most games. I see Kofi and Giorgi starting with Giorgi playing backup 5 mins and Tev and Kipper playing the 4 when Giorgi isn’t there.
It really could be similar to how the 76ers will probably use Embiid and Horford.

Yeah I kind of doubt Samba plays more than maybe 5-10 minutes in most games. I see Kofi and Giorgi starting with Giorgi playing backup 5 mins and Tev and Kipper playing the 4 when Giorgi isn’t there.
I doubt he plays 5 minutes. I think it is just as likely a freshman could leap Samba on the depth chart unless he really gets stronger and improves his skill set. I think it will take more than one off season for that kind of jump for Samba. He have others that are better options most likely for next season

The jump between year 1 and year 2 will open some of our eyes, a very good athlete in a system he now understands
I think that's true for Tev because he has a skill set too. Being athletic alone doesnt equate to being a good basketball player. Developing skill takes some time but I'll give you b.v the fact being a good athlete could help speed along the process. Given what faith BU had last year I think 1 off season isnt enough time for Samba. I could be wrong but i dont think there will be crucial minutes in 2019 at least unless he takes a massive leap. I think Tev can though because he has more skill to go with his athleticism.

He is fairly new (# of years) to bball, he missed the summer last year, ...., he may only play 5-7 minutes but instead of stop gap fill in minutes (GB foul trouble) where you hope to escape without damage, I think he will be much improved and those 5-7 min = important role

illini80

Forgottonia
The jump between year 1 and year 2 will open some of our eyes, a very good athlete in a system he now understands
Personally, I will be disappointed if he doesn’t contribute solidly when he’s on the court and I think there will be plenty of opportunities for him. Since he stayed, I would think that is his expectation as well. The main problem for him last year was understanding what and where he was supposed to be. That problem should not be an issue this season.

He is fairly new (# of years) to bball, he missed the summer last year, ...., he may only play 5-7 minutes but instead of stop gap fill in minutes (GB foul trouble) where you hope to escape without damage, I think he will be much improved and those 5-7 min = important role

That first summer can be so very important. Unfortunately, it looks like at least two of our incoming recruits are going to miss out on this summer.

That first summer can be so very important. Unfortunately, it looks like at least two of our incoming recruits are going to miss out on this summer.

Have no idea how much Samba has improved but no other size other than freshmen (who won't be here this summer) and hate to see us undersized again so I certainly hope it it more like 15 mins per game.

Have no idea how much Samba has improved but no other size other than freshmen (who won't be here this summer) and hate to see us undersized again so I certainly hope it it more like 15 mins per game.
We wont be undersized with Kofi and GB. Between the two of bn them we will be much better off. Someone will step up I just dint think there is anyway BU goes from really not playing Samba any meaningful minute to suddenly playing him often when we are more skilled this year than last down low. Why do people think he will see so much more time? What is this based on? Is this just wishful thinking? I dont see any reason to feel this way yet about Samba. I wish I did.

We wont be undersized with Kofi and GB. Between the two of bn them we will be much better off. Someone will step up I just dint think there is anyway BU goes from really not playing Samba any meaningful minute to suddenly playing him often when we are more skilled this year than last down low. Why do people think he will see so much more time? What is this based on? Is this just wishful thinking? I dont see any reason to feel this way yet about Samba. I wish I did.
Yes, we have Kofi and Giorgi which probably covers 50 of the 80 mins. Are we going to play undersized the other 30 mins? Only chance I see is Samba. The other choices are last year's or freshmen.

Yes, we have Kofi and Giorgi which probably covers 50 of the 80 mins. Are we going to play undersized the other 30 mins? Only chance I see is Samba. The other choices are last year's or freshmen.
Both Tevian and Kipper should be better this year. That gives us some more ability to play them at the 4 when only Giorgi or Kofi are in the floor (at the 5). If they can get 50 minutes out of Giorgi+Kofi and if that covers 30 minutes at the 5, then get a combined 10 minutes from Samba/Kouma/Verdunk, Tevian and Kipper would need to combine for 20 minutes at the 4, during times when only Kofi or Giorgi are playing.

That “smaller” lineup could be Ayo/Trent/Williams/Tevian/Giorgi or possibly Ayo/Griffin/Kipper/Tevian/Giorgi neither of which are terribly small lineups.

Happy to be wrong, but I'm not expecting Kofi to show that kind of potential right away. His physicality will give him opportunities he wouldn't otherwise have, but there's a lot more to the game in this era. NBA Bigs have to have a lot of things Underwood demands. It's been said he's a good passer, and he definitely has good hands. But to be effective, he's going to have to get up and down the court, stay out of foul trouble, speed up the mental aspects of his game on both sides of the ball, etc. Last thing Underwood wants is turnovers from the big guy initiating from the pinch-post. I'll be surprised if he can show all that out of the gate. If he pushes himself on the conditioning side, he could be dominant. Completely different positions, but reminds me a bit of Deron carrying extra weight until he broke his jaw. Guys with heavy frames that get rid of the baby fat can really surge.
Kofi has less than 14% body fat.

I know BK is only a freshman but he seems to have a skill set that could contribute so if a big must play then regardless of class I wouldnt be shocked if it were BK or Verdonk. . I dont expect much from BK , Verdonk or Samba but at least it appears BK and Verdonk can knock down an open 15 footer, Verdonk a 3, BK rebounds well, and uses both hands. They also appea to be decent from the foul line. I know Samba lacked these skills last year and BU's trust to be played meaningful minutes. Maybe that can change but until I have a foundation to base Samba playing a lot more on I don't expect more than spot minutes for him. He can get there it just appeared that he has a lot to develop those skill sets and BUs trust. But who really knows what's happenning in practice so maybe Samba can do it. I hope so.i think Samba could change some shots on Defense and hopefully rebound better. I think BK possibly could do those things too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46511

D
I am in the camp that Samba will play more important minutes this year.

I believe he fell out of favor, last year, because he was lagging in "understanding", and BU's offense is "understanding" reliant. Samba being in, took us out of the 'flow', and the flow is key to BU.

So my hope is that he cleared that hurdle. That he became comfortable in the system and the game slowed a bit for him, in the past 7-8 months. When it clicks, it clicks.

If that primary issue is eliminated, BU will figure out a way to play a long, athletic 7-footer. (Ow, twist my arm.)

I believe he fell out of favor, last year, because he was lagging in "understanding", and BU's offense is "understanding" reliant. Samba being in, took us out of the 'flow', and the flow is key to BU.

So my hope is that he cleared that hurdle. That he became comfortable in the system and the game slowed a bit for him, in the past 7-8 months. When it clicks, it clicks.

If that primary issue is eliminated, BU will figure out a way to play a long, athletic 7-footer. (Ow, twist my arm.)
I agree with this for the most part. One thing is for sure. Someone should have an opportunity to step up. We have more depth and choices for BU so that could make all of them worker harder to be better. If BU chooses to go with a true big to fill in it will be great to have more competition and choices between Samba, BK, and Verdonk. They all have differences in their games so who knows? In certain situations different players could play. Samba for a rim protector. BK for a little of both on both ends, or Verdonk to spread the floor. Options and more competition are a good thing. Last season we lacked many choices besides GB due to injury and lack of depth. These new recruits will help change that.

Or was it that Samba had some off the court issues including the classroom that hurt his playing time?

sacraig

The desert
It took Maverick Morgan until his junior year to take off, and he was a top 100 recruit. I hope Samba will hang with it, he could be a great piece to the puzzle in the near future.

In fairness, Samba has different (and likely better) coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.