Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was more that everyone is in the same class. If they all played their 4 years, it could be tough to recruit the position until they graduate, leaving a huge hole. That’s not the way a roster is typically constructed, but I’m sure it will work itself out.

Hutch can play 1/2/3
Grand can play 2/3/4
Jones can play 3/4
Griffin can play 2/3
Giorgi can play the 4/5

As long as Hutch and Grand are dynamic like they are being portrayed we are fine for recruiting a replacement 3/4.

In our best case scenario for 2021-22, Kofi turns into a world class 5 (but stays for the 2021-22 season) and Kalkbrenner/Hamlin/Kouma provide solid depth. Then Giorgi improves at the 4 until he is in the NBA draft conversation and Jones locks down the 3 and is headed to the draft as well. Griffin jumps on that NBA draft wagon and locks up the 2. Then we have Hutch + ?new guy? At point. And Jacob/Verdonk backing up the 3/4. There’s no reason a top 3/4/5 wouldn’t come play behind Jones/Giorgi/Kofi and be part of our national championship run and then take over the reins the following year.

I’ve always found a good rule of thumb is to base recruiting values off offer lists. A guy like Vontae comes to mind. Three star but had a slew of D1 offers from good programs.

I want to drink the kool-aid here but I just don’t see it. Outside of Weber’s first and last classes, I don’t think we’ve seen a worse stretch of recruiting in a long, long time. I know that won’t be popular and I’m okay with that. Let’s hope they prove me wrong.

I’ve always found a good rule of thumb is to base recruiting values off offer lists. A guy like Vontae comes to mind. Three star but had a slew of D1 offers from good programs.

I want to drink the kool-aid here but I just don’t see it. Outside of Weber’s first and last classes, I don’t think we’ve seen a worse stretch of recruiting in a long, long time. I know that won’t be popular and I’m okay with that. Let’s hope they prove me wrong.

Curious.

What would be your criteria to determine "they prove me wrong"?

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Hutch can play 1/2/3
Grand can play 2/3/4
Jones can play 3/4
Griffin can play 2/3
Giorgi can play the 4/5

As long as Hutch and Grand are dynamic like they are being portrayed we are fine for recruiting a replacement 3/4.

In our best case scenario for 2021-22, Kofi turns into a world class 5 (but stays for the 2021-22 season) and Kalkbrenner/Hamlin/Kouma provide solid depth. Then Giorgi improves at the 4 until he is in the NBA draft conversation and Jones locks down the 3 and is headed to the draft as well. Griffin jumps on that NBA draft wagon and locks up the 2. Then we have Hutch + ?new guy? At point. And Jacob/Verdonk backing up the 3/4. There’s no reason a top 3/4/5 wouldn’t come play behind Jones/Giorgi/Kofi and be part of our national championship run and then take over the reins the following year.

Hope you are right on half of this post. Please let us know the recipe for your orange Koolaid. 😎

We have seen Trent, Ayo, and Giorgi perform at very high levels. Kofi was highly ranked and fits a position of need. Tevian and Alan look vastly improved and solid at their positions. Dre and DaMonte are very capable backups. I think we are one big from being a conference leader and he may possibly be already on the roster. Recruiting gets high marks IMO. Am optimistic but haven't seen the coaching proven at this point. Defense will need to be vastly improved but believe the talent is there.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Curious.

What would be your criteria to determine "they prove me wrong"?

Not Idaho but, I’ll bite.... winning record, top half of B1G, NCAA tournament.

I am weary of reading how we have found all of these great under the radar players yet continue to lose more than win and haven’t sniffed the NCAA bubble in several years.

We added Kofi and another backup big in the class of 2019 while we returned everyone except AJ and Adonis... I would say this was a highly successful recruiting class as we filled our position of greatest need.

If we can add a top 50 and a backup PG in 2020 we’d be batting 1.000 in these 2 recruiting classes.

Everything else is just the in between stuff.

I get it, but if there’s one position I haven’t seen Brad struggle figuring out yet it’s the point. I won’t let Weber/Groce’s shortcomings carry over to Brad until he shows me it’s warranted.
I think there are 2 different points here....1) Underwood has done excellent at PG recruiting, Frazier, Feliz, & Ayo are all better pg than we have had since McCamey left. 2) By doing so we have avoided the trap of trying to pretend SG are PG...Underwood hasn't magically solved this, he has just avoided it by better pg recruiting. We need a pg, if Hutcherson turns out to be a pg is yet to be determined, but I don't think we should count on it & even if he does or proves to be adequate as a backup pg we don't want 2 empty classes behind he and Frazier without a pg.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Keon Ambrose keeps Illini in top 10

A quote from the article: "The Illini have been recruiting this kid for most of 2019. A lot of the teams on this list only came in with an offer recently. Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Arkansas, California, Clemson, VCU and Saint Louis all offered Ambrose within the last 40 days." The quote was from the author, Rees Woodcock, so you know Ambrose is going to Virginia.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Jaemyn Brakefield Names Top 10 Louisville, Michigan State, UCLA, Oregon, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Michigan, Auburn, Florida State, and Kansas

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Hutch can play 1/2/3
Grand can play 2/3/4
Jones can play 3/4
Griffin can play 2/3
Giorgi can play the 4/5

Sure they can all line up in those positions on the court, but the real question is can they play those positions better than half of the other guys in the Big Ten at those positions, either individually or as a group. Considering only Giorgi has shown that skill, at one of his two spots named above, I'm less than convinced.

Sure they can all line up in those positions on the court, but the real question is can they play those positions better than half of the other guys in the Big Ten at those positions, either individually or as a group. Considering only Giorgi has shown that skill, at one of his two spots named above, I'm less than convinced.

Not sure Giorgi was in the top half of the 5's last year in the B!G based on Barttovik analytics.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Not sure Giorgi was in the top half of the 5's last year in the B!G based on Barttovik analytics.
Probably right, but at least he was productive and held his own later in the Big Ten season. The other guys, not so much.

Either way, my point is that we are not scaring away any recruits at any positions. If these guys can’t play then a stud recruit has no problem coming in and taking over minutes. If they can play, they still won’t cause problems since they all serve different roles for the team.

Look at my post in the context of which I posted it and the comment to which I responded.

Keon Ambrose keeps Illini in top 10

A quote from the article: "The Illini have been recruiting this kid for most of 2019. A lot of the teams on this list only came in with an offer recently. Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Arkansas, California, Clemson, VCU and Saint Louis all offered Ambrose within the last 40 days." The quote was from the author, Rees Woodcock, so you know Ambrose is going to Virginia.

I didn't see Virginia in his top 10. Virginia Tech and Virginia Commonwealth were both listed, so not sure who you mean.

I wouldn't care if it's popular or m=not. It's the fact that it's wrong that's more bothersome. Trent, Ayo, Giorgi and Kofi are all above average to better than that in the B1G and Jones and Griff are headed that way. This team will be top 30 or so this year, maybe better. You should prepare for them to prove you wrong, cause it's happening.

I believe there are two main aspects to recruiting:
1. Talent Evaluation
2. Convincing the talent you want to come to your school.

Guys like Georgi are all about the staff's Talent Evaluation
Guys like Ayo are all about convincing obvious talent to sign.
Many players require a combination of 1 and 2.

My own view is the BU has done a good job with #1, but needs to do a better job of #2.

Besides the main points above, roster construction and class balance need to be considered.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Go look at the responses on that debacle of a forum called Tiger Board. When we landed Ayo and Kofi, the $ signs were a plenty.

Don't forget the great Old Gold & Black vs. Loyalty War of 2018 when Ayo was down to us and Wake Forrest. That was entertaining.

Oh, I remember those days well. They were amazing. More of that please!

Status
Not open for further replies.