Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a 21st century intro to a new Twilight Zone series to me....

sacraig

The desert
the gif 'tunnel' looks like a toilet paper roll which is sorta fitting tbh

giphy.gif

illini80

Forgottonia
Coleman Hawkins seems like the type of player that teams like Michigan have had an unlimited supply of coming through the ranks over the years. His length and mobility are what excites me the most. Throw in a good year of banging against our bigs would be great for his development while adding a different dynamic from what we have. Hope he commits on the 21st. I really like the versatility we are starting to see with how this team seems to be shaping up over the last few years.

It would be fantastic to see Coleman Hawkins (and Adam Miller) commit soon. I would be shocked if we don't land Miller (no insider by any means). With Ayo coming in and doing what he is doing, it has simply paved the way for Miller to come in and try the same with every opportunity (and I would argue better opportunity with more weapons already in the fold, both new and more developed than when Ayo came to campus). If things play out the way I think they will, we are certainly trending in an exciting direction for now with the future looking bright! We are close to the light at the end of the tunnel!

View attachment 4819
6’10” and 195 lbs. He won’t be doing a lot of banging with the bigs for a while. He could be a good piece, but certainly wouldn’t expect a lot next year.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Parse this quote from Andre Curbelo on Zagsblog:

"I’ve been talking to them,” Curbelo said. “Antigua, besides him being a great coach and a recruiter, I see him as a good friend. He’s friends with my dad. He speaks Spanish, so it’s always good to have a guy who if you’re somewhere you don’t like, you can always ask him, ‘Hey, give me some tips.’ Even though you didn’t go to his college, I’m pretty sure that he’ll always be there for myself."

Aside from the improper use of "myself" did he just write Illinois off? I am saying this half in jest. :unsure:

2020 point guard Andre Curbelo remains open in recruitment

illini80

Forgottonia

"I’ve been talking to them,” Curbelo said. “Antigua, besides him being a great coach and a recruiter, I see him as a good friend. He’s friends with my dad. He speaks Spanish, so it’s always good to have a guy who if you’re somewhere you don’t like, you can always ask him, ‘Hey, give me some tips.’ Even though you didn’t go to his college, I’m pretty sure that he’ll always be there for myself."

Aside from the improper use of "myself" did he just write Illinois off? I am saying this half in jest. :unsure:

He and Miller would be a grand slam, but we really need to get one of them.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
6’10” and 195 lbs. He won’t be doing a lot of banging with the bigs for a while. He could be a good piece, but certainly wouldn’t expect a lot next year.

Agreed. Realistically, I am thinking a good 1-2 years of trusting the process and working his butt off in practice against those guys. With his skillset, he is not a back to the rim kind of player anyway, but will hopefully learn some from being surrounded by some bigs that are. I wouldn't expect him to play much for the first 1-2 season(s). Our problem is just keeping those kind of guys. If we can start to retain our big players instead of using a scholarship to develop a player for another team, that would be ideal.

Deleted member 746381

D

That quote came out a couple weeks ago, right? IMHO, he's basically writing Illinois off while praising Antigua. I think it's safe to assume Curbelo is a no-go, but maybe one of our insiders can refute that. *shrug*

I do not think that is a write off.

Most non-English speaking people think in their native language and translate to English on the fly. In doing so, the response in English sounds way different than what the person intended to say.

Having said that, it could mean I trust OA so much that no matter where I go I could count on him. I think he is trying to say he trusts OA lot.

Not comparing, but Durant weighed 204 coming out of Highschool.

I do not think that is a write off.

Most non-English speaking people think in their native language and translate to English on the fly. In doing so, the response in English sounds way different than what the person intended to say.

Having said that, it could mean I trust OA so much that no matter where I go I could count on him. I think he is trying to say he trusts OA lot.
this is exactly what i thought when i read his quotes

Was it ever alive?

Yes it was! I'm not an insider but from some on multiple different sites it is dead now. Both AZ schools looking and feeling like they have other very comparable pieces in play that don't require hiring an Irvin.

As a side note the last bit of info 0440 had provided seemed to have been verified by some other site insiders who said some very similar things about Walker, coach Underwood and the Miller recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.