Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curbelo officially trimmed the list down to 3 per his Instagram. ILL, Oregon, and Miami

Still hearing it's unlikely he makes that Oregon OV.

All signs pointing towards a fall signing. I'm liking our chances.:shield:

Curbelo on an OV at Miami today.

I hate to get everyone's hopes up like this, but let's say the following guys are all around in 2021-22, and all are playing at their potential.

Guards: Curbelo (So.), Miller (So.), Griffin (Sr.), Hutcherson (Sr.), Grandison (Sr.)
Bigs: Giorgi (Sr.), Kofi (Jr.), Verdonk (Jr.), Hawkins (So.), Hamlin (Jr.)
Tevian (Sr.) starts at the 3 and plenty of guys in both of those groups can play the 3

That could be a Final Four team.

I hate to get everyone's hopes up like this, but let's say the following guys are all around in 2021-22, and all are playing at their potential.

Guards: Curbelo (So.), Miller (So.), Griffin (Sr.), Hutcherson (Sr.), Grandison (Sr.)
Tevian (Sr.) starts at the 3 and plenty of guys in both of those groups can play the 3

Scary thing is you could lose 4 of 5 guards in one year if Miller leaves after 2 years. Difficult to recruit guys in between if they want playing time but we have plenty of time to worry about that.

I don't know how realistic our chances are, but if we win ball games and the program continues to trend up I'd think we'd have a punchers chance with Michael Foster which would obviously put that team over the top. A guy can dream!

that Kansas midnight at the Fogg is a middle finger to the NCAA and College basketball.
DEATH PENALTY would be too good for them. Sorry Self, I used to love that guy....

I doubt we get that in 2021. Miller wants to be 1AD and after we go to the final 4 in 2020 he’ll likely get his wish and move to the NBA.

2020 roster could be:
1. Miller (30min)
2. Trent (30min)
Backup at 1/2: Curbelo (20min), maybe a little Hutcherson
5. Kofi (30min)
Backup 5: Hamlin (10min)
4. Giorgi (30min)
3s and backup 4s: Griffin/Tevian/BBV/Da’Monte/Hutcherson/Grandison/Hawkins

I don't know how realistic our chances are, but if we win ball games and the program continues to trend up I'd think we'd have a punchers chance with Michael Foster which would obviously put that team over the top. A guy can dream!

That's why we're in a recruiting thread, right?

Scary thing is you could lose 4 of 5 guards in one year if Miller leaves after 2 years. Difficult to recruit guys in between if they want playing time but we have plenty of time to worry about that.
Yes, but once you establish yourself, coach gets some recognition and recruiting comes easy. You can also sell guys on stepping into a depleted role on a roster.

I doubt we get that in 2021. Miller wants to be 1AD and after we go to the final 4 in 2020 he’ll likely get his wish and move to the NBA.

2020 roster could be:
1. Miller (30min)
2. Trent (30min)
Backup at 1/2: Curbelo (20min), maybe a little Hutcherson
5. Kofi (30min)
Backup 5: Hamlin (10min)
4. Giorgi (30min)
3s and backup 4s: Griffin/Tevian/BBV/Da’Monte/Hutcherson/Grandison/Hawkins
I doubt it too, but it's a reasonable ceiling to dream about.

From an ESPN scouting report: "Miller is a great prospect but is kind of caught in between two positions. He needs to grow a little and become a more consistent shooter in order to be an outstanding wing or he needs to become a better decision maker, ball handler and passer in order to be a premier point guard." That process could potentially take two years. Plus, everyone wants to be a 1AD.

Miami is still in it but Miami is also prioritizing a bunch of other PGs.

Curbelo camp not too happy about that.

They also would have Beverly, Wong, and Lykes in front of him.
Thanks for the info Indy. Good to have real news amid the aimlessly optimistic predictions.

Do you think it's possible he sees us the same way? With KKR visit coming up, plus Trent, maybe Miller? Or maybe the same could be asked about KKR?

Thanks for the info Indy. Good to have real news amid the aimlessly optimistic predictions.

Do you think it's possible he sees us the same way? With KKR visit coming up, plus Trent, maybe Miller? Or maybe the same could be asked about KKR?

Curbelo isn't too worried about PT here. Underwood would simply plug Curbelo into Dre's spot in the rotation within the 3 guard lineup which would ideally be Curbelo, Frazier, Miller, Giorgi, and Kofi. Then also could bring Curbelo off the bench as 6th man when BU throws Alan or Tev in there to start.

Curbelo is so talented with the ball, that BU couldn't really keep him off the floor. BU loves this kid.

We are probably running 3rd at best for KKR, likely 4th. Arkansas, Kansas, and TCU all have a better shot, they have a lot more to offer...

Lots of talk about Kouma still coming to ILL, from everything I have heard that is still the plan. The ideal plan right now is to sign 4 for 2020: Hawkins, Curbelo, Miller, and Kouma. Which means we would oversign by 1.

Lots of talk about Kouma still coming to ILL, from everything I have heard that is still the plan. The ideal plan right now is to sign 4 for 2020: Hawkins, Curbelo, Miller, and Kouma. Which means we would oversign by 1.
I'll take it.

Likely to be someone unhappy with playing time. Probably a wing with Hutcherson and Grandison becoming eligible with Alan, Tevian, and DaMonte not much time available assuming Trent, Miller and Curbelo taking over for Ayo, Trent, and Dre. Have Giorgi, Kofi, BBV, Hawkins, and Hamlin to share the 4/5. Lots of depth everywhere.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The ideal plan right now is to sign 4 for 2020: Hawkins, Curbelo, Miller, and Kouma. Which means we would oversign by 1.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.