Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Hasnt he got in trouble at all 3 schools he played at? and this was the second incident at UNM.

SUre, it is possible that it could have been different at UI, but it seems he finds ways to get in trouble no matter where he goes so id probably bet on it being a good miss

From what I saw googling, this is the first time it's been for trouble. Looks like he transfered away from Kansas for playing time, although there was a "violation of team rules" suspension. No legal trouble though.

sacraig

The desert
Hasnt he got in trouble at all 3 schools he played at? and this was the second incident at UNM.

SUre, it is possible that it could have been different at UI, but it seems he finds ways to get in trouble no matter where he goes so id probably bet on it being a good miss

That's fair, but I stand by my assessment. Perhaps the bad habits that let to this were developed in high school and it's likely it would have carried on no matter what school he attended. Perhaps some of them developed while dealing with his situation at KU and choosing a different school would have made a difference. I am not prepared to say I know what is the truth.

In the meantime, what am I supposed to do between now and Saturday with no recruiting going on to fill the void?

From what I saw googling, this is the first time it's been for trouble. Looks like he transfered away from Kansas for playing time, although there was a "violation of team rules" suspension. No legal trouble though.

at KU he was accused of battery (charges dropped) and also had charges for having weed/bong in his room (while they were investigating another alleged rape in the bball dorm). I think the two played a role in his transferring.

Also i would speculate that getting dismissed for one rules violation (from arizona state) probably means it was something illegal. Tev has been suspended twice for doing something illegal and hasnt been dismissed.

But i said he seems to be aroudn trouble, not specifically legal trouble.

Well hello fellow Charger 👋. I attended/played football with Rayvonte Rice. Did Lou try to recruit Roger at all?
He was a couple years younger than my sister in HS; I remember him being an ABI type with no interest in the I. He was looking for a bigger name school but wasn't quite good enough to attract that level of interest.

He was a couple years younger than my sister in HS; I remember him being an ABI type with no interest in the I. He was looking for a bigger name school but wasn't quite good enough to attract that level of interest.
I covered local sports back at the time. Illinois coaching staff wanted mcclendon and he had a close relationship with assistant tony yates. Yates got the head coaching job at cincinnati so mcclendon went there. Turned out to be a very good play for the bearcats and probably would have gotten lost in the shuffle at illinois behind anthony welch, george montgomery and efrem winters

I covered local sports back at the time. Illinois coaching staff wanted mcclendon and he had a close relationship with assistant tony yates. Yates got the head coaching job at cincinnati so mcclendon went there. Turned out to be a very good play for the bearcats and probably would have gotten lost in the shuffle at illinois behind anthony welch, george montgomery and efrem winters
i thought McClendon was more of a guard?

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Does he think about him at night?

Who was it that was sending stuff like that.....Crean?

YQInBaw.png

Obligated photo post.

I almost don’t want to say anything and introduce the hawthorne effect (jk), but I’m very curious to observe the comments in this thread now that the team is starting to experience some winning.

This thread has pretty much been the whole board at some points during the last 10 years. If I remember correctly thats a bit of a touchy subject. Anywho, this thread has spawned all kinds of hopeful ridiculousness.

Will the recruiting thread continue to collect so much optimism and heartbreak with a tourney team?

He was.. A 6-4 shooting guard. Welch Montgomery and Winters played on the front line. They would not have effected his playing time at all. Doug Altenberger on the other hand would have
Lou's early 80s squads were very thin. Lots of guys playing long minutes. Pre shot clock so we could slow it down.

I think Lou would have welcomed another guard and they would have gotten decent minutes.

haasi

New York
Mario McKinney leaving Mizzou and entering the transfer portal, per Jeff Goodman.
Hasn’t done much of anything there this year. Seems like he was dissatisfied with lack of playing time and somehow assumed he was the only guard on the roster when he signed up, only to find himself buried on the depth chart. Also posted a cryptic tweet earlier this year that sort of suggested he was rooting for Florida against Mizzou. Strange situation. Can only hope for more of the same in Cuonzoland

Mario McKinney leaving Mizzou and entering the transfer portal, per Jeff Goodman.

Any chance the staff revisists this? McKinney unless he gets a waiver (better known as the M. Smith) ruling, would sit for a year behind Trent/Andre/Adam before being able to play again. Trent would be gone, Ayo obviously is gone, Andre would be lead guard and Miller (?) who knows, but probably working on 2nd year to go pro afterwards.

So Andre Curbelo, McKinney(?), Adam Miller maybe none others of note joining really (Goode-Barnes)...McKinney is known to be a pest defensively and can play with a chip on his shoulders. A full year to be in the system, get stronger, learn, be close to home, and with prospect of being no worse than #3 if not possibly #2 after the players graduate or go Pro? Seems like something to at least ponder?

Mizzou took ours, granted not to heartbroken then or now, why not steal one back?

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
I don't really see why this is an instance where we would even want to "steal back." It sounds like there were some behind the scenes issues as well, as he was suspended indefinitely from the Mizzou team.

I don't really see why this is an instance where we would even want to "steal back." It sounds like there were some behind the scenes issues as well, as he was suspended indefinitely from the Mizzou team.
Not all that highly rated anyway and nothing to make the mid 100s ranking seem wrong. Can't believe there would be any interest.

Maybe not, maybe so...not like there weren't behind the scenes issues with Smith for us, or even the recruiting of Tilmon/Pickett? McKinney was no slouch in high school and with a year of sitting/hopefully maturity, one could argue he might be better for us with our probable attrition, than any 2021 h.s. guard coming in?

Not all that highly rated anyway and nothing to make the mid 100s ranking seem wrong. Can't believe there would be any interest.

There once was with Underwood and staff when he was ranked that way? Why do you assume there may not be now?

I am sure the likes of Auburn, Kansas St, Iowa, Iowa St., Virginia, Xavier, Marquette, Louisville had some interest among others also.

Status
Not open for further replies.