Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

I think you’re missing the point.
Agreed. Trent would run circles in that league...just like Nunn did...regardless of how terrible someone thinks Trent is comparatively.

Suggesting that Te'Jon was going to become the player Trent is at Illinois is a bit of a stretch, IMO. But Te'Jon is playing really good in the conference he's in now and it delights me to see it.

I think that's the point...loosely.

What numbers are you comparing? Lucas is averaging 16 points at 26% usage in a conference where the best team is worse than every team in the Big Ten except Nebraska. Frazier is averaging 9.5 points at 15% usage. Sure, Lucas has a higher assist rate, but his turnover rate is almost 10% higher.

I have no ill-will toward Lucas and I'm glad he's found success after Illinois. But given the choice between the two, I'll take Frazier every time.
I was actually comparing Lucas or either really to Snider....the original player mentioned in comparision.

Trent is nowhere near the athlete K Nunn is and probably not as good of a shooter.
Trent is a better shooter at the same phase than Kendrick and has really good handles/moves (much better than Kendrick at that phase and maybe even better now). You are right in that Kendrick is a much better athlete, but Kendrick is elite in that regard along with 2 inches on Trent of height. I think people underestimate how good Trent was the last couple of years as he has taken a back seat to Ayo/Kofi and others.

That is one of the wildest gifs I have ever seen.
Was looking for a gif that was basically showing a dude protect his junk and that came up. Well it protected his junk....if Spawn had junk

Deleted member 17568

D
Trent is a better shooter at the same phase than Kendrick and has really good handles/moves (much better than Kendrick at that phase and maybe even better now). You are right in that Kendrick is a much better athlete, but Kendrick is elite in that regard along with 2 inches on Trent of height. I think people underestimate how good Trent was the last couple of years as he has taken a back seat to Ayo/Kofi and others.
Trent is not a better shooter than Kendrick was. Kendrick made 39% of his 3s as a junior at Illinois and had made a higher percentage from inside the arc as well. His overall eFG% was higher than Trent's. Frazier would also be a great player in the Horizon League but let's not downplay how talented Nunn was (and is).

Trent is not a better shooter than Kendrick was. Kendrick made 39% of his 3s as a junior at Illinois and had made a higher percentage from inside the arc as well. His overall eFG% was higher than Trent's. Frazier would also be a great player in the Horizon League but let's not downplay how talented Nunn was (and is).
I am not trying to downplay Nunn's stats, but I also feel you are underplaying Trent's stats too. Last year, he shot 41% from three on more attempts. This year, he started out cold, but has it up to 37%. Both are good shooters. Kendrick is a better athlete, but Trent is a much better ball handler and seems to be very clutch. If I started a team with one of these two, I would probably start with Trent based on being a pg. Both very good players, Kendrick is more talented, but Trent is also a better leader. To each their own.

Good points all around on the Trent/Nunn discussion. One thing I really appreciate about Trent is his intangibles and willingness to do what the team needs to win. His freshman year, that was be the man and take a lot of shots, but as we've added talent he's been more than willing to let others shine on offense and become a leader on the defensive end. That kind of selflessness is so underrated. He's our best PG not only because of his skill but because he is truly interested in making sure others succeed for the overall benefit of the team.

Deleted member 17568

D
I am not trying to downplay Nunn's stats, but I also feel you are underplaying Trent's stats too. Last year, he shot 41% from three on more attempts. This year, he started out cold, but has it up to 37%. Both are good shooters. Kendrick is a better athlete, but Trent is a much better ball handler and seems to be very clutch. If I started a team with one of these two, I would probably start with Trent based on being a pg. Both very good players, Kendrick is more talented, but Trent is also a better leader. To each their own.
Nunn attempted 6.9 3's per game as a junior. Frazier attempted 6.2 as a sophomore. Nunn is averaging 15 ppg in the NBA.

I'm not sure why you think Frazier is a much better ball handler or a better leader. But like you said, to each their own. I'd start my team with the guy playing meaningful minutes on an NBA playoff team.

Nunn attempted 6.9 3's per game as a junior. Frazier attempted 6.2 as a sophomore. Nunn is averaging 15 ppg in the NBA.

I'm not sure why you think Frazier is a much better ball handler or a better leader. But like you said, to each their own. I'd start my team with the guy playing meaningful minutes on an NBA playoff team.
I think I am choosing Nunn over Frazier as well, BUT lets not act like Nunn's time at Illinois is anything close to what he is doing now. He put in a lot of work after he left Illinois, and that's when he became a NBA player

If I started a team with one of these two, I would probably start with Trent based on being a pg. Both very good players, Kendrick is more talented, but Trent is also a better leader. To each their own.
I am glad you are not picking the team then. K Nunn was a better recruit, was a better college player and Trent will never be in the NBA. Nunn and Trent’s assist rate and turnover rates are very similar. Nunn is a much better athlete who gave Illinois better rebounding, defense and baskets above the rim. I love Trent but this is a bad take. Trent is barely involved in the offense this year on a team that desperately needs 3 point shooting. He has been solid protecting the ball and defensively but this team would be better with junior year K Nunn

I am glad you are not picking the team then. K Nunn was a better recruit, was a better college player and Trent will never be in the NBA. Nunn and Trent’s assist rate and turnover rates are very similar. Nunn is a much better athlete who gave Illinois better rebounding, defense and baskets above the rim. I love Trent but this is a bad take. Trent is barely involved in the offense this year on a team that desperately needs 3 point shooting. He has been solid protecting the ball and defensively but this team would be better with junior year K Nunn
I dont think Trent will most likely be in the NBA either, but neither was Malcolm Hill. I guess you guys would rather have Kendrick Nunn than Malcolm Hill, Deon Thomas, Demetri McCamey, Kiwane Garris etc... i am not saying Frazier is better than any of those, but I am saying you all are selling Frazier short. I know Kendrick is good, but I dont think it is easy to say his career was so much better at Illinois.

Nunn thought defense was something you played in football. Why most want to look at offense only is a mystery to me.