Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
2020 Illini Signees
Coleman Hawkins (2020 PF), committed on September 21st, signed on November 16th
Andre Curbelo (2020 PG), committed on November 1st, signed on November 13th

2020 Illini Commits
Adam Miller (2020 G) commited on Thursday, November 21st

Regular Signing Period begins April 15th, 2020

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
1580561106069.png

Mimeograph paper, long time ago man...

Apologies if this has already been said here or in the previous recruiting thread. I just noticed our 2020 recruiting class moved up to #11 (from #13) in the 247 rankings. I keep forgetting how outstanding this class looks to be. Not sure if the movement was a result of the re-rankings of players or if commits were lost from those ahead of us (or combo), but wow I'm excited to have this class join what we already have.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Great info on Jones. Illinois could use a guy like him. :)

Straight from the department of redundancy department, we need to sign Antigua to an extension.

Found on 24/7 that Jones has 1 offer it seems Oregon? He is ranked low, mostly I would suspect to being unknown. If you scan the players listed anywhere from 140-down, alot of 6-6/6-8 guys with minimal to (seemingly) low offers from schools or none at all listed as of now.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Found on 24/7 that Jones has 1 offer it seems Oregon? He is ranked low, mostly I would suspect to being unknown. If you scan the players listed anywhere from 140-down, alot of 6-6/6-8 guys with minimal to (seemingly) low offers from schools or none at all listed as of now.

Yep. Am assuming he's played no AAU ball. Once he gets on the circuit, we should see movement. Antigua gives us a great in.

After watching Dre' and Giorgi the last two years, and watching video of Curbelo....if you don't trust these coaches' eyes, I'm not sure what to tell you.
BU has proven he can recruit. I think you can add Kofi to that list... if you were to rank freshman, he'd have to be top 15 this year right, and top 5 center?

Still some question marks about depth, but I think at year 3 you gotta be happy with this roster construction, and with what we have coming in. Also, essentially "closing" this class in the fall opens up 2021 recruiting and beyond, which is obviously something this staff hasn't been able to do.

tamillini

Northern Virginia
BU has proven he can recruit. I think you can add Kofi to that list... if you were to rank freshman, he'd have to be top 15 this year right, and top 5 center?

Still some question marks about depth, but I think at year 3 you gotta be happy with this roster construction, and with what we have coming in. Also, essentially "closing" this class in the fall opens up 2021 recruiting and beyond, which is obviously something this staff hasn't been able to do.
After our roster construction woes over the past 10 years, it's refreshing to see BU putting it together. It's great to see us not just go after high ranking recruits, but people who fit his roster vision.

If you're looking at just Freshmen Centers then you have Isaiah Stewart, Zeke Nnaji, and Vernon Carey Jr. ahead of Kofi. You could also make a case for Onyeka Okongwu, Jaden McDaniels, and Trendon Watford since they each played the role of "center" on their teams at least in part.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Yeah I didn't include Kofi just because his potential was pretty obvious. It was more a nod to the underrated (or not rated at all *wink*Giorgi!) recruits they have found. I included Curbelo because it seems he was also underrated at first, but now seems to be opening everyone (else's) eyes.

I really look forward to BBV's future and this Hawkins kid. This staff knows what they are doing.

A source within the program has just let me know that Illinois is looking to secure visits for 2 of the top 15 players in the country for Tuesday's game against Michigan St. and may be having another very highly touted visitor in on Friday for an OV!

Nothing official yet, but this person assured me that the staff has been working extremely hard and are confident that at least 2 of 3 visits will happen and just awaiting confirmation at this point, before making anything official! 🙏🌟

Aminu and Moussa?

Diabete is a player I know we are really hot after, but those are not the names I am hearing...

EDIT: I want to caution that none of this is official but the source where it's coming from could not be stronger!

And what better way to showcase your up & coming program that now has national recognition, then with a sellout crowd at paint the hall orange nite!

Fingers crossed! 🤞

Either way, it's a really exciting time to be an Illini fan! :illinois:

Last edited:
But all 7 players are undecided at this point (so yes that's right, AJ Griffin is not 1 of the 7 nor is the staff pursuing, out of respect for the family)...

I should say 6 out of the top 18 because I counted Kuminga (The #1 player regardless of class imo) who we are not actually currently considered a player for at the moment, but are desperately trying to crack into the conversation with and become a serious player in his recruitment!

Unfortunately as of now, that hasn't happened. But over the summer we were making contacts and connections within his school and we were promised that during the season we would be given a visit...

However, up to this point that has not materialized, obviously.

So let's just be safe and say 6 out of the top 18 players in the country we are in on, with a potential player or two whose services we could become a potential serious contender for!

For right now tho, 3 guys in that top 20 i'd give us a legit shot with and/or a fightin' chance.

That's what happens we you close out your current recruiting class out early like we did this year and then go and win a bunch of games! It totally shifts the focus and allows for greater opportunities to arise!

Go Illini!! :chief:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.