Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinzon is in Chicago this weekend for the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp in conjunction with the NBA All Star game.

I watched some extended highlights of the game against Patrick School. I really like Curbelo, but his he took no perimeter jumpers (or at least made none as they showed almost all the buckets) and more troubling he seemed to turn to complain to the refs after every. single. play. Definitely plays with high energy and motor though, so if they can channel the stuff with the refs to something positive he should be a super solid college pg.

If you want a guard who will dribble around the perimeter and then shoot a 3 as the shot clock expires go follow Akron bball. Curbello has nice form and shot, but constantly tries to penetrate to score or pass. He rarely settles for the 3 and has a good midrange game.

Mentioned numerous times before his closest comparable is Mike Bibby, except Bibby was more likely to shoot the 3 (high school level) whereas Curbello seems to never give up on dribble drive penetration. Look up Bibby high school video and see how similiar there game is.

We will win a lot of games with him at the point and top tier players will want to play with him, an unselfish winner.

If you want a guard who will dribble around the perimeter and then shoot a 3 as the shot clock expires go follow Akron bball. Curbello has nice form and shot, but constantly tries to penetrate to score or pass. He rarely settles for the 3 and has a good midrange game.

Mentioned numerous times before his closest comparable is Mike Bibby, except Bibby was more likely to shoot the 3 (high school level) whereas Curbello seems to never give up on dribble drive penetration. Look up Bibby high school video and see how similiar there game is.

We will win a lot of games with him at the point and top tier players will want to play with him, an unselfish winner.

I predict that this post will garner a lot of likes and will become very popular among Illini faithful :rock:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Preach, dog! Christie or Pinzon would love to play him. Hell, anyone would.

Speaking of which, took a gander at the 2021s we're targeting. Hot damn, it feels great to be a legit option for elite talent again!

Whats the chances Curbelo and OA can land us Kuminga? He is a possible reclass also I think...no?

We're trying to get in the race.

Will it matter in the end? Not likely. Will probably wind up at Duke, UK, Auburn, Texas Tech, or LSU.

I would not be completely shocked if he put out a new list and we were on it though.

i guess I hadn’t suffered through enough mediocrity yet when I was watching Frank play. It’s not that I forgot how good he was - I’m not sure I ever fully appreciated it. (Don’t get me wrong, I was a huge fan... I just don’t remember my eyes popping out of my head back then like they just did now).
Ho hum. another all big ten point guard on the Illini.

I had the same thought as you. We were so spoiled we didn't realize some of the special things we were seeing.

As far as college ball is concerned, I think HRF is in a point guard class of one. Harper, Gill & D-Will all had much better NBA careers, but I don't think any of them dominated college ball like HRF did.

And a bag of Chesty potato chips to anyone who knows who was the one who originally penned that moniker on FW. IIRC, it was Bill Liesse..Sports editor for the Peoria Journal Star who put me on notice to HRF when he was in grade school.

Pretty good comp, but Parker's a better outside shooter. Curbelo is dynamite, and I fully expect him to have a great career at Illinois.

I don’t remember parker hitting too many threes, but I remember him punishing people going under screens and hitting deep mid range shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.