Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Welcome to the Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

2021 Illini Commits
Luke Goode (2021 G) committed on April 17th

Ayo's return should definitely impact recruiting positively. Nesbitt apparently looks up to Ayo which is good. I do wonder if he would like to follow his footsteps to Illinois OR if he would try to do what Ayo has done at SLU. I still the SLU leads (just an opinion based on what I have read) but I think it will be a fun recruitment that comes down to the wire.

Ayo's return should definitely impact recruiting positively. Nesbitt apparently looks up to Ayo which is good. I do wonder if he would like to follow his footsteps to Illinois OR if he would try to do what Ayo has done at SLU. I still the SLU leads (just an opinion based on what I have read) but I think it will be a fun recruitment that comes down to the wire.

Should be a lot of excitement, coverage, SC highlights, etc. this season that raise our profile. Should be a bright spot once Coronavirus is under control. Crossing my fingers that's early next year at the latest.

Deleted member 4333

D
Few things can match the smell of a new recruiting thread.

giphy.gif

Interesting if you look at what the starting five could be in 2023 if all players use their eligibility (not likely I know) but demonstrates some great recruiting balance.
Curbelo
Miller
Hawkins
Verdonk
Lieb

sacraig

The desert
I don’t know anything about this young man but seeing an offer to a Simeon player makes me hope that relationships are on the mend.

Has anyone ever provided actual evidence that said relationship was irreparably damaged or was that all pure message board speculation?

illini80

Forgottonia
Has anyone ever provided actual evidence that said relationship was irreparably damaged or was that all pure message board speculation?
I don’t know if you want to call this evidence, but it wasn’t just message boards. Tupper had this to say and I’m pretty sure the were some quotes from Smith at the time, but I’m too lazy to look for them.

https://herald-review.com/sports/il...cle_f9f6a712-6ca0-580f-af6c-f88c2d497350.html

“Rob Smith, the veteran Simeon coach, is understandably upset. A school has broken the heart of one of his players. Horton-Tucker got jilted, or so it appeared, when Illinois had to back away at the 11th hour.

Good luck getting in on the next Simeon star, and there will always be a next Simeon star. Why would Smith want to expose another of his players to this kind of disappointment?”

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure we made the right decision at the time, but it was a slam dunk the right one.

Last edited:
will be interesting to watch the dynamic evolve in chicago over the next 1-2 years

I remember there was a post discussing the implications of Nick Irvin getting hired at Western Illinois, and how that could potentially evolve into a deeper tie between us and Nick in the future... I could have totally misread that, and it could very well mean nothing, but if that has legs it sounds like things in Chicago could get real interesting for years to come.

Seems to me that the staff would be scraping the every corner of the country and world to find a big to replace Kofi next year and keep the ball rolling. But then I think about the 5 returners in Giorgi, Brandon, Jermaine, BBV and Hawkins, and I am not so sure. In fact, if these kids get a year to mature, next year should also be pretty strong for the Illini.

I remember in years past being mystified by the insider comments about AAU basketball, the tournies, the back channels, etc. Now I just miss the action. Strange times.

JJB

Chicago, IL
I remember in years past being mystified by the insider comments about AAU basketball, the tournies, the back channels, etc. Now I just miss the action. Strange times.

So no AAU and no visits or in person contact w/ recruits through at least 8/31. Does that mean we're likely to see more recruits sign in November (assuming November signing date does not get moved too)? Or less?

Seems to me that the staff would be scraping the every corner of the country and world to find a big to replace Kofi next year and keep the ball rolling. But then I think about the 5 returners in Giorgi, Brandon, Jermaine, BBV and Hawkins, and I am not so sure. In fact, if these kids get a year to mature, next year should also be pretty strong for the Illini.
And Lieb. Don’t want to miss any 7’ers. Think they want to add Mac to that list as a frosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.