Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
@whitesxfan2012 might be my new favorite insider lol, just pops in every few months (or years), drops the two Chiefs, and disappears back into the darkness. I do love all the discussion all the other insiders spark and I know if I was as connected as @whitesxfan2012 seems to be I don't think I could help but indulge more info and "flaunt" more. He's appeared to have accurately predicted Kofi, which would have been hard to do based on the meltdown this board was having given how poor his visit went (loss to a horrible team and students being gone over break with poor weather, I remember he seemed bored in his hotel room). He also dropped the 2 Chiefs the day before Curbelo committed and the day before Miller committed. He was also on top of the Mark Smith thing so for me this might be the best sign yet! (Still getting my cup ready)

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Tweet tweet...

It's that time again!!

I-L-L

:hailtotheorange::hailtotheorange:

Hope all of my old friends are doing as well as can be expected in this crazy 2020!

Ooooooooh....gimme dat HOT SAUCE!

gif

4f2d8dc6ddbddf0830fddfcdd985c23f.gif

illinihawk16

Chicago
And what's the impact of this potential outcome...........

Goode
Hopkins
Etienne
Frazier & Williams ---- both returning due to Covid rule

Apologies if it's been talked about, but what Covid rule would allow them to come back for a 5th year?

Apologies if it's been talked about, but what Covid rule would allow them to come back for a 5th year?
Yep. Allows those seniors to play for another year. I would say that's a dream for the team and the fans, but if your name is adam miller or andre curbelo you might not be so happy because one of you might be coming off the bench with that scenario depending on who comes, who stays and who goes.

altenberger22

South Carolina
@whitesxfan2012 might be my new favorite insider lol, just pops in every few months (or years), drops the two Chiefs, and disappears back into the darkness. I do love all the discussion all the other insiders spark and I know if I was as connected as @whitesxfan2012 seems to be I don't think I could help but indulge more info and "flaunt" more. He's appeared to have accurately predicted Kofi, which would have been hard to do based on the meltdown this board was having given how poor his visit went (loss to a horrible team and students being gone over break with poor weather, I remember he seemed bored in his hotel room). He also dropped the 2 Chiefs the day before Curbelo committed and the day before Miller committed. He was also on top of the Mark Smith thing so for me this might be the best sign yet! (Still getting my cup ready)
Comprehensive and complete. Nicely summarized.......all the way up to still wearing the cup!!!

altenberger22

South Carolina
Yep. Allows those seniors to play for another year. I would say that's a dream for the team and the fans, but if your name is adam miller or andre curbelo you might not be so happy because one of you might be coming off the bench with that scenario depending on who comes, who stays and who goes.
I would instead argue that this type of depth is required to complete the back-to-back Natty's in 2021 and 2022. (It may also require a Top 10 national recruit to join the roster.)

I am in the camp of not having seniors back. You are right, it will upset the younger recruits who dont want another year of sitting behind a 5th year guy. I hope that we just win the championship and can send Frazier, Williams, Ayo and Kofi out with a bang.

If you add Bryce Hopkins to the 2021 Illinois Basketball Class Calculator, we jump from #68 to #31 overall. Not too shabby.

I know you posted the link to the 2021 Class Calculator but just posting this here in case other's wanted to do the same thing as me. A potential class of:

1. Bryce Hopkins (#30, 4star, 0.9876) = 28.76 pts
2. Mac Etienne (#44, 4star, 0.9811) = 22.51 pts
3. Luke Goode (#99, 4star, 0.9510) = 10.32 pts
Total = 61.59 pts
Compared to other in progress 2021 classes, this would be 9th in the Nation and 3rd in the B10.
Compared to completed 2020 classes, this score would have been 17th in the Nation and 3rd in the B10 (the same place our actual 2020 class ranked).

Then depending on who we get for our 4th spot, from #68 TyTy Washington thru #252 Tevin Smith, our final 2021 recruiting team score would likely be somewhere between 63.94 to 64.95. A score of 63.94 would be 2nd in the Nation compared to current 2021 recruiting ranks and would be 11th in the Nation (1st in B10) compared to finalized 2020 class rankings.

If you're wondering how different recruits would impact our overall team ranking I broke down 6 potential recruits below (in no particular order):
4a. Wesley Cardet (#101, 4star, 0.9483) = 3.36 pts (Total = 64.95)
4b. Ramses Melendez (#137, 3star, 0.9255) = 3.05 pts (Total = 64.64)
4c. TyTy Washington (#68, 4star, 0.9720) = 11.18 pts AND drops Goode to 3.40 pts (Total = 65.85)
4d. Tevin Smith (#252, 3star, 0.8737) = 2.35 pts (Total = 63.94)
4e. Nate Santos (#193, 3star, 0.8926) = 2.61 pts (Total = 64.19)
4f. Kordell Charles (#146, 3star, 0.9204) = 2.98 pts (Total = 64.57)

TLDR: If we have a class with Hopkins, Etienne, Goode + anyone else we should be feeling VERY good. That would make back-to-back Top 20 Recruiting classes (Our 2019 class was #68 as we didn't really pair Kofi w/ anyone else, and our 2018 class was #25 so that would be an excellent start for BU's time at Illinois)

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
TLDR: If we have a class with Hopkins, Etienne, Goode + anyone else we should be feeling VERY good. That would make back-to-back Top 20 Recruiting classes (Our 2019 class was #68 as we didn't really pair Kofi w/ anyone else, and our 2018 class was #25 so that would be an excellent start for BU's time at Illinois)

Here's a look at some posters now as the BU Train has left the station.....

tenor.gif

Not by any means trying to say if BU were to land a top 15 class after the track record he's already had that it wouldnt be impressive, but Groce had some solid overall rankings for recruiting in the beginning.
2013: 13th overall, 2nd in the B1G
2014: 56th overall, 8th in the B1G (Leron Black)
2015: 15th overall, 2nd in the B1G

A little cherry picked, because the next two classes were 110+ ranked with just Tejon Lucas and 30th ranked, but thats still a good 5 year run.

I really dont have a point here other than to say getting top 25 recruiting classes isn't something unheard of here. I think if there's any take away here is that rankings dont mean anything if you cant coach up guys, and that this staff clearly is better at both that and evaluating talent, even at the top. Even BU hasn't been 100% on sure fire prospects, but we can him some slack with MS. Groce had a lot of top ranked guys burn out, for whatever reason.

whitesoxfan is the real deal. Probably the only guy over the years here who’s been able to wade through the bs and provide transparent information to us in a non-pretentious way. When he types, I read. Timing impeccable as always. Good to have you back my friend.

The most important question concerning next year is if Tyler Underwood gets another year of eligibility??? Anyone know?? 🤣🤣

I would not have a problem with that.....Tyler Underwood probably knows as much as anyone on the team roster about the offensive and defensive schemes and what the coaching staff is trying to convey to the players. Having him in the locker room, on the court occasionally, and hanging out with the players is like having a coach with the players 24-7....his knowledge with the system and rapport with the players is valuable.....don't disregard Tyler's importance to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.