Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the last 10 years, Memphis Tigers have 1 guy in the NBA, UI has 2, so go figure.
I was saying that also I think a lot of penny sells is the NBA to kids. come learn from a former all-star and a sharpshooter and play with other top recruits.

Bring on Bryce Hopkins and Jaden Schutt. What's not to like about a double/double machine and the best shooter in the Midwest. Didn't Hopkins parents go to UI??

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
"At first, I was really, really, really going to Illinois,"

C'mon guys...it's not like he was really, really, really, really going to Illinois!

Can we replace crystal balls with reallys?

B-ILL

Working From Home
"At first, I was really, really, really going to Illinois,"

C'mon guys...it's not like he was really, really, really, really going to Illinois!

Can we replace crystal balls with reallys?
This is really, really, really just another way of saying "recruiting is fluid." :noidea:

My 2 cents.

What an absolute joke. Maybe Iā€™m wearing orange tinted glasses here, but seriously? Letā€™s just take a second and really look at this. Penny Hardaway was a great NBA player, donā€™t get me wrong. But what the hell has the guy done thatā€™s bringing in these guys? Memphis!? I posted yesterday about Wiseman going there and then becoming ineligible and thereā€™s a reason. This recruitment absolutely reeks. That Memphis program has reeked since Calipari was there. Youā€™re telling me a guy who has never coached anything but a high school team just walks into a mid tier D1 school and starts raking in talent? Something Tubby Smith couldnā€™t do a year earlier!? Ya know....Tubby Smith. A National Championship winning coach. What the hell changed for Memphis when they hired Penny!? Same facilities. Same arena. Same location. Why play for Tubby Smith when you can play for the next Coach K Anfernee Hardaway. šŸ¤£ Crazy how Penny had just helped Wiseman and his family out a year or two prior to getting hired. Not saying Penny had secret motives behind it, but itā€™s crazy how of all people in the world he helped out, it just happened to be the #1 recruit in the whole country. Iā€™m sure Memphis had no idea about that (sarcasm). And donā€™t tell me every program plays this game. Iā€™m so sick of that excuse. I think Penny has taken a page out of his old coach from Blue Chipsā€™ playbook. Give me a freaking break.

Hopefully Penny can develop talent and coach for the sake of all these kids heā€™s recruiting. It will be a boatload of wasted talent if not. Also, I donā€™t see whatā€™s happening at Memphis as being sustainable. I am happy with the system we have in place and our current trajectory.

That being said, Iā€™d love to crush Memphis in a tournament game on our way to the Final Four this year.

Hopefully Penny can develop talent and coach for the sake of all these kids heā€™s recruiting. It will be a boatload of wasted talent if not. Also, I donā€™t see whatā€™s happening at Memphis as being sustainable. I am happy with the system we have in place and our current trajectory.

That being said, Iā€™d love to crush Memphis in a tournament game on our way to the Final Four this year.
The way the selection committee likes to do things, you just may get your wish. Like to see it and prove to kids that B1G competition, coaching, and player development can Trump NBA hype.

Maybe Penny can coach, but he can't give them B1G competition every night and who knows if he can develop their talents....he has to prove it not talk it. Underwood has proven what he can do, and it is exactly what truly talented players...WILLING TO PLAY HARD EVERY DAY ON THE HARDWOOD AND IN CLASSROOM....want from their coach. There are a plethora of elite, talented players not willing to do that or seeking such challenges. But Ayo and Kofi are perfect examples. There are others and BU and staff are casting a huge net in looking for just those types....and they have found a bunch of really good ones.

From the article above:

It was more than just one phone call that sold Nesbitt on the Tigers, however. Nesbit has a longstanding relationship with the Memphis staff. A relationship the touted prospect says was built on honesty.

ā€œThe bond I built with Coach Penny was very different from the relationships Iā€™ve built with most coaches,ā€ Nesbitt said. He was real with me from the start. He didnā€™t tell me stuff like ā€˜come here and start right away.ā€™ Instead, he just gave it to me real and told me, ā€˜I love you game and I feel like if you put in the work, youā€™re one and done. He just gave me the real.ā€

I honestly wish we had gotten him. And it sucks we didnā€™t...and I know the staff has been moved on for days by now.

But I agree with TCT here. Who does he (or whoever told him to say/write those words) think heā€™s fooling?

Those statements read like pre-canned, contradictory gibberish.

He just gave me the real.ā€
reality distortion field.jpg

Letā€™s say Memphis got him through the dirtiest recruitment possible. Straight cash, a house, a car and high paying jobs for minimal work for his parents.

All hypothetical, but is there anyone here who wouldnā€™t take this offer? You have to maximize your earning potential while you can, and the ncaa doesnā€™t necessarily work fast on these things. If you are a true 1-2 and done, youā€™ll be in and out before it catches up to you. You and your family gotta do whatā€™s best for you.

i donā€™t pretend to know the Nesbittā€™s situation, but if Memphis makes it better than we offered, he did the right thing. A freak injury that ends his career and nba level earning potential and I guarantee you they wouldnā€™t regret this choice if they got the hypothetical benefits I listed earlier.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Letā€™s say Memphis got him through the dirtiest recruitment possible. Straight cash, a house, a car and high paying jobs for minimal work for his parents.

All hypothetical, but is there anyone here who wouldnā€™t take this offer? You have to maximize your earning potential while you can, and the ncaa doesnā€™t necessarily work fast on these things. If you are a true 1-2 and done, youā€™ll be in and out before it catches up to you. You and your family gotta do whatā€™s best for you.

i donā€™t pretend to know the Nesbittā€™s situation, but if Memphis makes it better than we offered, he did the right thing. A freak injury that ends his career and nba level earning potential and I guarantee you they wouldnā€™t regret this choice if they got the hypothetical benefits I listed earlier.

If it were my son, I might ask him to read up on wire fraud before making the decision.

illinihawk16

Chicago
From the article above:

It was more than just one phone call that sold Nesbitt on the Tigers, however. Nesbit has a longstanding relationship with the Memphis staff. A relationship the touted prospect says was built on honesty.

ā€œThe bond I built with Coach Penny was very different from the relationships Iā€™ve built with most coaches,ā€ Nesbitt said. He was real with me from the start. He didnā€™t tell me stuff like ā€˜come here and start right away.ā€™ Instead, he just gave it to me real and told me, ā€˜I love you game and I feel like if you put in the work, youā€™re one and done. He just gave me the real.ā€

I honestly wish we had gotten him. And it sucks we didnā€™t...and I know the staff has been moved on for days by now.

But I agree with TCT here. Who does he (or whoever told him to say/write those words) think heā€™s fooling?

Those statements read like pre-canned, contradictory gibberish.

The bolded parts really stuck out to me, too. How many guys don't start but also turn into one-and-done...?

Status
Not open for further replies.