Illinois Loyalty Location Census

Where do you currently live?

• IL - Chicago

Votes: 34 6.3%
  • IL - Chicago Suburbs

Votes: 76 14.0%
  • IL - Northern Illinois (Not Chicagoland)

Votes: 22 4.1%
  • IL - Central Illinois

Votes: 112 20.7%
  • IL - Southern Illinois

Votes: 37 6.8%
  • Another state in the Midwest (IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, OH, NE, ND, SD or WI)

Votes: 77 14.2%
  • A Northeastern state (CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT or DC)

Votes: 25 4.6%
  • A Southern state (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA or WV)

Votes: 85 15.7%
  • A Western state (AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY)

Votes: 64 11.8%
  • Outside of the United States

Votes: 10 1.8%

• Total voters

SKane

Tennessee
Lived in Indiana, then Champaign, then Chicago-area, southern California and now Tennessee.

First fandom started right before the slush fund.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Grew up in Elmhurst, graduated from York, graduated from Illinois in ‘74, where I met my future husband and where both of us had season football and basketball tickets all four years. Married into his hometown of Rockford, where we‘ve traveled to Champaign for many, many basketball games and held football season tickets for 35 years.

Grew up in Springfield and was on freshman team in 1967 when Springfield HS went to the state basketball tournament and finished in 3rd place due to our starting center, Dave Robisch (went to Kansas and had a good NBA career). He held the tournament record back then scoring 39 points or more in 3 out of the final 4 games (scored 25 in the other). We lost to Pekin and Fred miller who went on to play for the Illini. That experience at Assembly Hall (even though I was sitting behind the bench) convinced me to go to U of I.

I graduated and moved to LA and received graduate degree there. Moved to AZ in 1979 and have been here ever since.
I was in the stands for that tournament! Barry Moran who later played for Northwestern was on Pekin’s team and all tourney. Robisch was unstoppable. Carbondale with Peaches Laster, Billy Perkins and LC Brasfield had upset undefeated Benton (with Rich Yunkus who went to Georgia Tech) and SIU had Walt Frazier taking them to the NIT so the announcer was giving scores out over the PA. Little Lawrenceville near my tiny hometown was one of the faves, finishing 4th in the final poll pre tourney, but upset pre Champaign in double OT and led by All Staters Greg Ritchie and Bob Montgomery (Bobby pitched against us in the Regional baseball finale that Spring and as a sophomore that year I got a couple of hits off him). A great year to be at Assembly Hall for the tournament!

Deleted member 654622

D
I grew up in the STL area on the Illinois side. I did my 4 years at UIUC, went to grad school at Texas A&M, lived in New Mexico for a couple of years, and now I am in Arizona working for... ahem... a different university.

The Fighting Illini are and will always be my #1, no matter how many other universities I have attended or that have employed me.

EDIT: I should have also included that Mizzou will always be my number infinity no matter what other rivalries I take part in. That STL Metro East upbringing sticks with you.
Especially as a Cubs and Blackhawks fan!

Grew up in Elmhurst, graduated from York, graduated from Illinois in ‘74, where I met my future husband and where both of us had season football and basketball tickets all four years. Married into his hometown of Rockford, where we‘ve traveled to Champaign for many, many basketball games and held football season tickets for 35 years.

This is one of my favorite stories on here!

Born and raised in Glen Ellyn. Went to UIUC in the mid 90’s. Transferred to Mpls and was there 4 years. Next, to Orlando for three years and back to Mpls for the next 12. Recently transferred back and am living in Chicago (Wicker Park).

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Fellow York grad here, albeit in '95. Ran under legendary coach Newton. Sister still lives there with her fam so still get to visit.

I was Born in Indiana and moved to Northern Ohio at age 2. Moved to Champaign at age 10. To Kankakee at age 14. Graduated from high school there and came to the U of I where I stayed a year and a half. Transferred to ISU, graduated, and lived in Bloomington for 9 1/2 years. Came back to U of I for graduate work in '84 and have been here ever since. Was a casual Illinois fan until coming back to Champaign the last time. Started getting season's tickets at that time and have been a die-hard Illini basketball fan ever since. Third times a charm?

Born in Peoria. Lived in the greater environs as a lad. Took a year off to go to Minny-soda and Cincy before heading back to Peoria area again. Moved to the Rockford area when in high school. Married a south suburb girl and took her away from all that excitement for the quiet life. Laugh that both of my kids couldn't wait to move into Chicago.

azillini1

Scottsdale
Lived in Indiana, then Champaign, then Chicago-area, southern California and now Tennessee.

First fandom started right before the slush fund.
Steve Kuberski and 2 other Illini basketball players caught in the Slush Fund incident went on to play in the NBA. Also, several football players including Bob Trumpy from Springfield HS were not allowed to continue. Trumpy was a top receiver in the NFL and announcer after he retired. I believe he left Illinois and went to Utah State or Utah.

Grew up in Elburn (far far far West Suburbs), followed by Grand Rapids, MI --> Knoxville, TN --> Louisville, KY --> Lubbock, TX --> Cincinnati, OH

I have been to Elburn many times. Made a number of mad dashes there to take my kids to the train. Usually as we pulled into the station I would hear, "Dad I don't have enough money to pay for my fare." Naturally they didn't think to tell me before we left home. After I had to give one of them my "Special" $20 bill I never let them leave the house without money.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Fellow York grad here, albeit in '95. Ran under legendary coach Newton. Sister still lives there with her fam so still get to visit.
Went on a student bus (8 student buses, including a bus for the band) to the IL State CC Meet in C/U all four years Fall ‘66, ‘67, ‘68, 69-Won it all twice! “Newton is the greatest!”

Tacomallini

Washington State
I got to run in the '94 Cross Country championship, which York won, of course. Crazy to see and hear their band in the final stretch to the finish line at Detweiller Park in Peoria. Banana, I'm sure you already know about this but for those that don't, there's a good documentary about Coach Newton and his 2005 team. I saw the whole film on Youtube, looks like it's been pulled but here's a preview if anyone's interested.
R.I.P. Coach - he seemed like a pretty righteous dude.

Went on a student bus (8 student buses, including a bus for the band) to the IL State CC Meet in C/U all four years Fall ‘66, ‘67, ‘68, 69-Won it all twice! “Newton is the greatest!”

Another duke here! Graduated in ‘15 and run under Newton like Banana. Went to UIUC and graduated this past May. I’m in a rotational program for my first year of work and I’m bouncing around seeing the USA. I hope to be back in the Chicago soon! Glad Elmhurst and the Dukes are represented well here

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I got to run in the '94 Cross Country championship, which York won, of course. Crazy to see and hear their band in the final stretch to the finish line at Detweiller Park in Peoria. Banana, I'm sure you already know about this but for those that don't, there's a good documentary about Coach Newton and his 2005 team. I saw the whole film on Youtube, looks like it's been pulled but here's a preview if anyone's interested.
R.I.P. Coach - he seemed like a pretty righteous dude.
'94 was my senior year and I was at that championship at Detweiler, too (our 4th State Championship in a row)! My now brother in law was in York's Top 5. Also it was two of my classmates (who I still keep in touch with) who made that documentary. Great memories.

Born in Indiana, raised south side/calumet city, made it to champaign 05-09. Worked at champaign central 09-10 school year and moved to the Austin area in central Texas (cedar park 2010-2014 and Leander 2014-present) where I’ve been ever since.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
Grew up in Fairbury, IL but now live in burbs (Wheaton). Since we grew up close it was just the home team appeal to root for the Illini. When I was in 8th grade they went to the final 4 with Deron and Dee and I've been hooked ever since. I've proudly been the only Illini fan I knew while in college in Ohio and living in Rochester, MN.

I lived in Salem from '84 to 90
I was born there and then my family moved to Bethany while I was still a infant. Still have family in Salem, one of my favorite visits when I was growing up. I was in the Army from 84 to 89.