Illinois Loyalty Location Census

Where do you currently live?

• IL - Chicago

Votes: 34 6.3%
  • IL - Chicago Suburbs

Votes: 76 14.0%
  • IL - Northern Illinois (Not Chicagoland)

Votes: 22 4.1%
  • IL - Central Illinois

Votes: 112 20.7%
  • IL - Southern Illinois

Votes: 37 6.8%
  • Another state in the Midwest (IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, OH, NE, ND, SD or WI)

Votes: 77 14.2%
  • A Northeastern state (CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT or DC)

Votes: 25 4.6%
  • A Southern state (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA or WV)

Votes: 85 15.7%
  • A Western state (AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY)

Votes: 64 11.8%
  • Outside of the United States

Votes: 10 1.8%

• Total voters
Born and raised in the Metro East been here ever since. Lifelong Fighting Illini and Cardinal fan.

Born in ATL, grew up in a little town called Anderson right outside of Clemson, SC into a family full of Clemson fans. If further asked I’ll elaborate exactly how I became an Illini fan but my family could not stand the fact that I was cheering for a different team in Orange. That was back in 2003 when my Illini fandom begun, and everytime I played NCAA football on my old ps2, I choose juice Williams and the Illini and set the computer up as Clemson to beat them every time. I got the honor experience Deron, Dee, and Luther on the basketball squad in my early fandom days. Beating #1 Ohio state in football had me more excited than any Clemson game I’d ever been to. Honestly, I’ve never had the honor of going to an Illini game in Champaign, but I’ve been to several of their games in my area. The football game against UNC a few years back when we got blown out, and most notably the two Illinois-Clemson basketball games that have been played at Clemson. The first was the legendary 20-point second half comeback that Illinois pulled off. Wore my Illini shirt amongst my family and friends that were in full Clemson gear to that one and the most recent game when the only person on our team to hit a 3 was Tracy Abrams. While Clemson has been in the National Championship the past couple years, and I’m currently in my last semester as a student at Clemson, I have yet to find as much joy watching them as I have the Illini throughout my life. I could’ve had it made cheering for a football powerhouse that my whole family loves, as a student too, but as is the life of an Illini, it never goes as planned. I found passion for a team with so much potential that never got national respect or the credit they deserved. I watched the fall from grace when I first become a fan in 2003 to now, but I still love them just as much and have faith in this university’s future. Just goes to show, from someone who’s never been to an Illini game in the home state, and has absolutely no ties to being an Illini, this Place is family no matter what, and I’m blessed to call myself a fan of the Illini through thick and thin. I see great things ahead for this program, the players, the coaches, and the fans. If I could go back in life, even knowing all the pain we’ve suffered as fans and what would become of Clemson, I still wouldn’t change the day I decided to become an Illini fan before all other teams, regardless of sport or league

sacraig

The desert
Well that is a shame

You don't exactly see a lot of Blackhawks or Cubs fans south of I-72. Shoot, this year, you don't see a lot of Blackhawks fans north of I-72, either.

Grew up in the Quad Cities (Rock Island specifically)...
High School in Aurora....
Attended UIUC...
10 Years in Denver, CO...
Now in Bakersfield, CA (don't ask...)

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Born in ATL, grew up in a little town called Anderson right outside of Clemson, SC into a family full of Clemson fans. If further asked I’ll elaborate exactly how I became an Illini fan but my family could not stand the fact that I was cheering for a different team in Orange. That was back in 2003 when my Illini fandom begun, and everytime I played NCAA football on my old ps2, I choose juice Williams and the Illini and set the computer up as Clemson to beat them every time. I got the honor experience Deron, Dee, and Luther on the basketball squad in my early fandom days. Beating #1 Ohio state in football had me more excited than any Clemson game I’d ever been to. Honestly, I’ve never had the honor of going to an Illini game in Champaign, but I’ve been to several of their games in my area. The football game against UNC a few years back when we got blown out, and most notably the two Illinois-Clemson basketball games that have been played at Clemson. The first was the legendary 20-point second half comeback that Illinois pulled off. Wore my Illini shirt amongst my family and friends that were in full Clemson gear to that one and the most recent game when the only person on our team to hit a 3 was Tracy Abrams. While Clemson has been in the National Championship the past couple years, and I’m currently in my last semester as a student at Clemson, I have yet to find as much joy watching them as I have the Illini throughout my life. I could’ve had it made cheering for a football powerhouse that my whole family loves, as a student too, but as is the life of an Illini, it never goes as planned. I found passion for a team with so much potential that never got national respect or the credit they deserved. I watched the fall from grace when I first become a fan in 2003 to now, but I still love them just as much and have faith in this university’s future. Just goes to show, from someone who’s never been to an Illini game in the home state, and has absolutely no ties to being an Illini, this Place is family no matter what, and I’m blessed to call myself a fan of the Illini through thick and thin. I see great things ahead for this program, the players, the coaches, and the fans. If I could go back in life, even knowing all the pain we’ve suffered as fans and what would become of Clemson, I still wouldn’t change the day I decided to become an Illini fan before all other teams, regardless of sport or league
Okay. Have to ask. How did you become a fan? Yours is definitely a different story than most (but love it!).

YOU, my friend, deserve the highest ILLINI FANDOM honor that could ever possibly be bestowed - how about a GO FUND me to get you to Champaign!!

Deleted member 654622

D
You don't exactly see a lot of Blackhawks or Cubs fans south of I-72. Shoot, this year, you don't see a lot of Blackhawks fans north of I-72, either.
That is correct you do not. As a Blackhawk and Cubs fan, living this close to St. Louis has helped solidify my distain for the Cardinals and Blues

jmilt7

Waukegan
Okay. Have to ask. How did you become a fan? Yours is definitely a different story than most (but love it!).
I second that. I would find it interesting how someone who, as you/Clem says, has no ties to Illinois, lives in SC and grew up in an atmosphere of Clemson fandom, became an Illini fan.

illini55

The Villages, FL
Born in Indiana, raised south side/calumet city, made it to champaign 05-09. Worked at champaign central 09-10 school year and moved to the Austin area in central Texas (cedar park 2010-2014 and Leander 2014-present) where I’ve been ever since.
I went to grammar school in CC.

Born in Alton but moved to a small town in NW Ohio in middle school. Refused to become a Michigan or tOSU fan and stuck with the Illini (thanks, Dad). Moved to Columbus 7 years ago and always look forward to Illinois coming to town.

SactownIllini

Coleman Hawkinsland
Grew up in the Quad Cities (Rock Island specifically)...
High School in Aurora....
Attended UIUC...
10 Years in Denver, CO...
Now in Bakersfield, CA (don't ask...)
Hey, I'll be in Bako the night of the national championship game. We'll have to watch us play in the title game together!!

I live in Sactown now but grew up in the glorious NW corner of the Land of Lincoln, an hour from Rock Island.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Loved reading your story! (From your neighbor in Greenville, SC.)

Tacomallini

Washington State
Born in Aurora and have lived 2 plus decades in Oswego/Aurora, in two different stints. 10 years in Chambana in 3 different stunts - undergrad while serving in Army National Guard, left thanks to the Iraq fiasco and spent 1 year in Baghdad with 233rd MP Co. out of Springfield, back to CU afterwards for a while, a couple years in Chicago and back to UIUC for grad school. U of I did me a huge solid and kept me “on the books” as a student even though I’d completed coursework, so I could get a student visa to study for a year in Barcelona as a 27 year old exchange student. Met my wife in Spain, completed a mountain of paperwork and she moved to US on fiancée visa. Happily married now (10 years in August) in Tacoma w 2 kids, waiting for my wife to give us the green light to move back to Spain. Not holding my breath on that, lol, but would make the move in a heartbeat. Hoping rumored Gonzaga-IL home and home series pans out, or Western region NCAA seed cause I haven’t seen the beloved play in person since #7 IL beat #4 Michigan State at the Assembly Hall on 2/6/2001 with Dickie V inthe house. Enjoyed reading this thread fellow Illini fans!

Deleted member 4333

D
LaGrange Park --> Mt. Prospect --> UIUC --> Galesburg --> UIUC --> Schaumburg --> Arlington Heights --> Roselle --> Arlington Heights, where I've been for 30 years. Grew up a Badger fan, as my grandmother, father and big brother all went to UW. Became an Illini fan for life when I stepped onto campus in the fall of 1969.

Born and raised in Paris. U of Arizona grad while all my buddies are U of I grads. Now live in Springfield, Mo. after stints in Chicago, Nantucket, Ma., Vero Beach and Tarpon Springs Fla.

Deleted member 746684

D
I moved from Champaign to Chicago for a year, met my future wife and moved to Austin, TX almost a decade ago.

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
Grew up in the buffer zone between the South suburbs and Central Illinois, 4 years at UIUC, 5 years in Cincinnati, and now a few years in Chicago (North Side).