Illinois Music Collection

aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless
Has this been done already? A collection of our favorite Illinois related music.

I'll start the ball rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another.

A more traditional piece . . .

I always associated this song with Champaign because it came out while I was in school there and the Illinois Central railroad, of course, runs right through Champaign.

Tiny Illini
The basement of the Alamo
I too think of Champaign whenever I hear that song. Bittersweet since now I live far, far away. :)

The Fighting Illini War Chant

Captain Rat and the Blind Rivets

The Fighting Illini in Pasadena

The Three-in-One!

This is a 1938 recording of Illinois Loyalty with some older lyrics.

Mattoon-Charleston Area
rbachhuber, what year is that "Pride of the Illini" from? The musicianship is AWESOME but we never did anything near that when I was in MI (2007-2010).

rbachhuber, what year is that "Pride of the Illini" from? The musicianship is AWESOME but we never did anything near that when I was in MI (2007-2010).
I really have no idea. I just happened upon this video on YouTube and there is no source information attached to it.

When I found out a couple of weeks ago that Bob Dylan had co-written not one, but two songs called "Champaign, Illinois," I was astonished that I hadn't heard of either one. How could the man many people consider to be the greatest storyteller of the 20th century reference our town twice without making more than a blip on the local radar? Shouldn't one of them be some sort of official Champaign anthem?
http://www.smilepolitely.com/music/bob_dylan_said_champaign_illinois_twice_3737/

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
I know this is a bit off-topic, but any meaningful music collection has to include Paul Simon's rendition of "The Boxer" on the first Saturday Night Live after the attacks of September 11:

http://channel.pandora.tv/channel/v...d=ssofficer&prgid=34579920&categid=all&page=1

I vividly remember watching this with tears streaming down my face. We were all Americans, plain and simple, as we tried to regain our balance as a nation in those dark days. God bless the United States of America, now and forever.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but any meaningful music collection has to include Paul Simon's rendition of "The Boxer" on the first Saturday Night Live after the attacks of September 11:

http://channel.pandora.tv/channel/v...d=ssofficer&prgid=34579920&categid=all&page=1

I vividly remember watching this with tears streaming down my face. We were all Americans, plain and simple, as we tried to regain our balance as a nation in those dark days. God bless the United States of America, now and forever.
I don't recall ever seeing that before. Thanks.