Illinois-Ohio State Game Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I to was hoping to playing a depleted OSU team. Glad we played when we had our outbreak. Kind of bs on OSU part to decide this late.

They were afraid to get run over by the LOViE TRAIN!!
Valentines Day Hearts GIF by Caltrain

They must have a good size group of players with COVID. Doesn’t that mean they have to sit out 3 games? Plus how many will miss with contract tracking? Could this mean the oSU season could be in jeopardy?

Ohio sucks, and I hope ohio state now has to miss multiple weeks and any CFP dreams.

Gotta let that slide this year. Wish the OSU team the best in health. Glad we are not playing for the protection of our players and at least one less loss on the season.
I to was hoping to playing a depleted OSU team. Glad we played when we had our outbreak. Kind of bs on OSU part to decide this late.

To me, it appears as if they weighed the risks of playing us short handed and losing vs. not playing us at all and decided that the best thing for them was to call off the game. I was HIGHLY skeptical were were going to play whatsoever the minute I saw that tweet posted about their flight arriving at 8AM tomorrow instead of tonight.

Do we know how many actual positive tests they have had?

I keep seeing people post that we played with tons of people out, but remember we only had 2 actual positive tests at first (and then a staff member later maybe? I can’t remember)

The majority of our guys were out due to contract tracing.

So if tOSU has had like 2 tests, and is canceling because 10 other dudes are being held out for contact tracing, they are being cowards.

If they actually have a lot of positive tests (like 10) then possibly half the team could be out due to contact tracing.

Also, the B1G dictates if they have positives tests over a certain % of the total roster they HAVE to cancel.

It would be good to know that actual positive test number.

Deleted member 29907

D
Ohio sucks, and I hope ohio state now has to miss multiple weeks and any CFP dreams.
They have to miss multiple weeks don't they? How can you miss just one week? Covid+ - have to sit 21 days like Brandon did. So if they did not have enough to field a team this week - seem that should carry on for 3. Or at least two if a good chunk are via contract tracing.

Figures two of the bigger mouths in the Big 10 re: playing again : 1) Nebbie sucks big time, 2) OSU can't figure a way to keep the team safe. If they magically show up next week to play i call bs.

PS: They should have to release the number of positives and the number of contract tracing. Full disclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the rules changed for the blue bloods. On can see them cite a change in protocol from CDC. I guarantee they play a weak MSU and Michigan team. End up in college playoffs.

So, the 4-game combined win streak of men's basketball and football over the last seven days continues. I suppose 5 in eight days would have been unprecedented.

Thank god they cancelled , would not want to see more college athletes dead from covid. Save one person you save the world.

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
Do we know how many actual positive tests they have had?

I keep seeing people post that we played with tons of people out, but remember we only had 2 actual positive tests at first (and then a staff member later maybe? I can’t remember)

The majority of our guys were out due to contract tracing.

So if tOSU has had like 2 tests, and is canceling because 10 other dudes are being held out for contact tracing, they are being cowards.

If they actually have a lot of positive tests (like 10) then possibly half the team could be out due to contact tracing.

Also, the B1G dictates if they have positives tests over a certain % of the total roster they HAVE to cancel.

It would be good to know that actual positive test number.
This should be pinned at the top of every page. Most reasonable post on here regarding the cancellation

This cancellation benefits us more than them. We still carry momentum of a 2-game winning streak and have a legitimate shot at a bowl game and they now run a huge risk of having their season fall apart. I see no benefit to OSU to cancelling this game. We took a big hit early in the season due to quarantines, not with a high number of positive cases. Their situation sounds like they are dealing with a large number of positive cases which then has a huge ripple effect to close contacts. The numbers can add up very quickly in these scenarios. If they have a large number of positive cases then it is best for their players and ours that the game is cancelled. Their season is in serious jeopardy though. This is just the price everyone pays for playing during a pandemic. I am just thankful to be able to watch some sports to have a little normalcy right now.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
I've seen the rules changed for the blue bloods. On can see them cite a change in protocol from CDC. I guarantee they play a weak MSU and Michigan team. End up in college playoffs.
At this point, I'd be surprised if CFB could produce four full rosters of top tier teams on schedule and at the same time.

If tOSU and the cautious B10 can't sustain a bubble, chances are as good as not that we'll see depletion and cancellation in the playoff itself.

I read on a site that their whole web room was positive. Plus you add contact tracing no telling how many players will be held out.

Tonight’s round of testing must have been bad
This. People who say Illini played with players out why can’t OSU, it is all about how many actually tested positive. I believe Illini only had two positives and rest were out because of contact precautions. I’m guessing OSU had at least a fair amount more than 2 positives meaning even those currently testing negative could be positive at some point. Sucks they won’t play, but safest thing for the players and others involved.

This. People who say Illini played with players out why can’t OSU, it is all about how many actually tested positive. I believe Illini only had two positives and rest were out because of contact precautions. I’m guessing OSU had at least a fair amount more than 2 positives meaning even those currently testing negative could be positive at some point. Sucks they won’t play, but safest thing for the players and others involved.

This is it. Our positivity rate was not over threshold and most were kept out as a precaution.

At least eligibility is unaffected in this crazy year.

Deleted member 29907

D
The problem is - without disclosure - which they should be forced to provide (no names), we're relying on the altruistic nature of OSU, which gives me pause. A skeptic could surmise that they might have been able to play, but chose to avoid a potential loss due to a diminished squad.

Just disclose the number of out by what (positive test, exposure, etc) and I am good. The fact that they are not releasing information makes me wonder why.

The problem is - without disclosure - which they should be forced to provide (no names), we're relying on the altruistic nature of OSU, which gives me pause. A skeptic could surmise that they might have been able to play, but chose to avoid a potential loss due to a diminished squad.

Just disclose the number of out by what (positive test, exposure, etc) and I am good. The fact that they are not releasing information makes me wonder why.
Completely agree. I bet they have some big name players who tested positive - and they will try to get them back on the field without the 21-day wait like everyone else. I won’t be surprised if the BIG/NCAA bend the rules for them, too.

Dang. We had 'em just where we wanted them.

I know its selfish, but it seems like we get stuck with a loss by that silly spread. Really wanted our shot to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.