Illinois-Ohio State Game Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re not playing because they initially had some positives and then they had more positives after they tested last night. Whose to say that after playing the game, there wouldn’t be additional positive tests tonight by players who played in the game — potentially infecting Illini players.
Exactly. Worst case scenario: we still lose to a covid diminished OSU roster, and then are unable to play two more meaningful games vs Iowa and Northwestern.

Sorry, but you should never be happy to avoid a game based on whether or not you fear losing.

Health comes first sure - but for some reason we had positives and contacts and we were able to manage it. This smells like OSU was concerned about their ability to compete and just decided to call it a day and not waste the travel.

Cancelling a game because of risks to people involved is not "avoiding a game." It is simply doing the right thing.

As far as OSU being scared about being able to compete, just... really? They have backups of backups who could start for us and their temporary head coach could be as good as our actual coach. On top of that for all we know they did reach cancellation threshold and it's just not public knowledge. OSU would never cancel this game unless they had to.

Deleted member 29907

D
Cancelling a game because of risks to people involved is not "avoiding a game." It is simply doing the right thing.

As far as OSU being scared about being able to compete, just... really? They have backups of backups who could start for us and their temporary head coach could be as good as our actual coach. On top of that for all we know they did reach cancellation threshold and it's just not public knowledge. OSU would never cancel this game unless they had to.
1. I don't disagree with cancelling if you are concerned that the risk to other people. It is the right thing.
a. That all of course assumes they were being honest and were concerned. Perhaps they are, but then why not let the numbers out? And why so quick to
keep the MSU game open? Seems to me, Covid does not leave the team in 1 week.
b. Were you saying the same thing when we had cases of Covid and contacting? If not, then what is the difference? Are we that much better than OSU
in handling the risk? We managed it by following the rules. Without full transparency - why are we saying OSU is?
2. The afraid comment was not mine, it was yours "Lot of really strong opinions about not playing a game we would've lost. On top of that, we weren't even the
ones who cancelled. Health comes first, always." My response is that Our Team should not be relieved to not play a game because we were afraid we would
lose.
3. How do you know OSU would not cancel a game unless they had to?

To Note: I was full on in favor of having an early Spring Season rather than play now because I thought the risks were too great. I became "OK" with it when the UofI and others announced their rigorous testing process. Once the rules were set, all should be following. If OSU is doing that, then ok. But be transparent.

Last edited by a moderator:

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
Let's put aside the issue of health and focus on $$$. OSU aims for the CFP. It has an athletic budget of nearly $220 million (compared with perhaps down near $100 million for Illinois?) I imagine that nearly everything Gene Smith does this fall regarding football is aimed at maximizing OSU's chances to play in the CFP and reap the prestige and $$ that result. A lackluster victory over Illinois this year, let alone the disaster of a loss, would harm those chances materially. Right now, Cincinnati is nipping at OSU's heels.

Gene's not going to risk it. My sense is that, in contrast, Josh Whitman's philosophy this fall is that our boys play for the sake of playing, even if lots of starters are sidelined. The two programs are in dramatically different places. I feel badly for our players today. It's a gorgeous day for football in Champaign and too bad they don't get to take on one of the sport's best programs. On to Iowa.

My two cents. I don't believe I'm being cynical.
I will be cynical. This is best for Illinois- first, of course, for the health of the players. The other (cynical) reason is - we want a team in the CFP/championship game. I believe the B10 splits all bowl revenue amongst all the teams in the conference. The more teams we have in more (and more prestigious) bowls, the more money our athletic department gets. While that’s always important....in this resources stretched thin COVID year, it’s critical.

Sorry, but you should never be happy to avoid a game based on whether or not you fear losing.

Health comes first sure - but for some reason we had positives and contacts and we were able to manage it. This smells like OSU was concerned about their ability to compete and just decided to call it a day and not waste the travel.
We need to remember that OSU has 5 star players on their 3rd team.

So if they decided upon themselves to not play, isn't that a forfeit?
That is what Dabo was complaining about with the FSU game. FSU refused to play and that should have been called a forfeit since Clemson traveled to Florida. Same thing here. They should have called this game earlier in the week other than keeping things in limbo. OSU should not be allowed to play inn the Championship game

That is what Dabo was complaining about with the FSU game. FSU refused to play and that should have been called a forfeit since Clemson traveled to Florida. Same thing here. They should have called this game earlier in the week other than keeping things in limbo. OSU should not be allowed to play inn the Championship game
Disease doesn't spread on a timetable.

Deleted member 29907

D
Everyone is talking about OSU being afraid of losing to us. It is not like OSU doesn't have a lot of depth.
Right. I wouldn't use the term 'afraid' as much as I would say risk vs reward. Zero reward for beating us, and 8 place drop in the polls for losing to us. So concern is more likely the term. As they have not released the number or who is out, its hard to determine if this was a risk/reward decision vs a 'rules' decision. While they have talent up and down the line, if the talent hasn't gotten alot of reps this far into the season, it can be a problem. e.g. If the first and second string QB are out - timing, play time, etc. can be an issue. As the head coach is out, that can also be a concern when you combine it with the above.

I am sure they are not afraid of playing against us - but its possible a risk/reward discussion may have come up. Again, full disclosure of numbers. If they hit the numbers, then ok. If they are playing it safe?, then forfeit the game. We played several after our covid incidents.

1. I don't disagree with cancelling if you are concerned that the risk to other people. It is the right thing.
a. That all of course assumes they were being honest and were concerned. Perhaps they are, but then why not let the numbers out? And why so quick to
keep the MSU game open? Seems to me, Covid does not leave the team in 1 week.
b. Were you saying the same thing when we had cases of Covid and contacting? If not, then what is the difference? Are we that much better than OSU
in handling the risk? We managed it by following the rules. Without full transparency - why are we saying OSU is?
2. The afraid comment was not mine, it was yours "Lot of really strong opinions about not playing a game we would've lost. On top of that, we weren't even the
ones who cancelled. Health comes first, always." My response is that Our Team should not be relieved to not play a game because we were afraid we would
lose.
3. How do you know OSU would not cancel a game unless they had to?

To Note: I was full on in favor of having an early Spring Season rather than play now because I thought the risks were too great. I became "OK" with it when the UofI and others announced their rigorous testing process. Once the rules were set, all should be following. If OSU is doing that, then ok. But be transparent.

There's no fear implied and I'm sure the Illini would rather play than not play, everyone knows that. My point is thst people are getting worked up over a cencellation for what? A free win? It doesn't make us look good and puts us right back in "poaching players from PSU" reputation level.

BillyBob1

Champaign
We cancelled ISU, Bowling Green, and UConn. Do we forfeit those games ourselves then?

There's no precedent for any of this and Dabo needs to just accept it.
ISU and UConn aren’t even playing, I don’t think. Bowling Green started after the BIG. No forfeits and no precedent.

when we played Wisconsin, the state of Wisconsin was having a large outbreak of cases, but we still went there and played. I saw on ESPN tha they are going to try and play next week. Don’t know how they can if they had number of players over the threshold. They have to sit 21 days.

We cancelled ISU, Bowling Green, and UConn. Do we forfeit those games ourselves then?

There's no precedent for any of this and Dabo needs to just accept it. If they had beat Notre Dame he wouldn't even be complaining.
We did not cancel those games, the conference did.

Just thought i'd propose a scenario i don't think anyone has mentioned. When OSU said that they were under the player threshold, my first thought was that ALL the coaches had tested positive. Having players and no coaches seems like a reason you might want to cancel the game. I can easily picture all the coaches working together at some point and passing it around.
I have not read this anywhere, i have not heard this anywhere, but it does seem to offer a path from 'having enough players' to 'canceled game,' and you can be sure that the whole organization would be tight lipped about it.

Let's put aside the issue of health and focus on $$$. OSU aims for the CFP. It has an athletic budget of nearly $220 million (compared with perhaps down near $100 million for Illinois?) I imagine that nearly everything Gene Smith does this fall regarding football is aimed at maximizing OSU's chances to play in the CFP and reap the prestige and $$ that result. A lackluster victory over Illinois this year, let alone the disaster of a loss, would harm those chances materially. Right now, Cincinnati is nipping at OSU's heels.

Gene's not going to risk it. My sense is that, in contrast, Josh Whitman's philosophy this fall is that our boys play for the sake of playing, even if lots of starters are sidelined. The two programs are in dramatically different places. I feel badly for our players today. It's a gorgeous day for football in Champaign and too bad they don't get to take on one of the sport's best programs. On to Iowa.

My two cents. I don't believe I'm being cynical.
Do all of the schools in the conference share the money that comes from one member getting invited to the playoff? If so, I think we would want a conference member to make it in.

altenberger22

South Carolina
I heard during the Penn State/Mich game today that Harbaugh senses a Covid outbreak coming after next weekend's Maryland game. Quarantining and contact tracing will force the cancellation of their finale against OSU.

As a result, the Buckeyes will be ineligible for the Big 10 Championship game........thus making 2020 Harbaugh's most successful season vs. OSU since he took over the head coaching reigns in Ann Arbor.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Ge

We get that you’re asking a legit question, Ethan. The thing is, the death rate is minimal among the demographic that includes college athletes. The problem with COVID (and why football being played, even at the pro level, was always a bad idea) is the spread to vulnerable populations.
Plus, if someone catches COVID there is also the possibility of long term effects that are only now being identified.

Ge

We get that you’re asking a legit question, Ethan. The thing is, the death rate is minimal among the demographic that includes college athletes. The problem with COVID (and why football being played, even at the pro level, was always a bad idea) is the spread to vulnerable populations.
Like I said, I was just curious if any college athletes have died, as the post I replied to implied that some college athletes have. I recall hearing after we had our outbreak that supposedly they’re having trouble tracing these outbreaks and there was no evidence it’s been jumping from team to team.
That being said I think asking college students to play outside a bubble was a bad idea. I completely agree that the problem is that relatively heathy people spread this to people at risk. My wife and I are both high risk and we’ve been living in isolation for 8 months. I’m tired of people saying they don’t care if they get sick because it won’t affect them. It’s selfish and people need to be more responsible and care about other people.

illini80

Forgottonia
I thin the general question is show me the proof and numbers. Clearly no one wants anyone either positive or in within contact - thus quarantine of those in close contact and out for those who are positive. Are you suggesting illinois was doing the wrong thing by playing our games after positive tests and contact restrictions?
Not at all. But we know our numbers and had time to do the contact tracing. This was happening in real time with additional cases during the hours before the game.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Looks like we'll end the day tied for 8th best record in the Big 10, or right at the midpoint.

Sure glad I haven't been betting on these conference games! Speculating I would have probably missed 75% vs. the spread.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
The problem is - without disclosure - which they should be forced to provide (no names), we're relying on the altruistic nature of OSU, which gives me pause. A skeptic could surmise that they might have been able to play, but chose to avoid a potential loss due to a diminished squad.

Just disclose the number of out by what (positive test, exposure, etc) and I am good. The fact that they are not releasing information makes me wonder why.
Yet. They haven't released that info yet.

It's plausible to me that they would have had several players out and still planned to play. They can do the playoff math and I guarantee that they were doing so well before we did. They could have been nip and tuck on numbers - hoping for no new positives and retest negatives, etc. - and scheduled the plane in case they got good news.

[Splitting hairs below]
I'm pretty sure the calculus would favor them playing us unless the team is simply gutted (and even then, the playoff committee might take that situation under advisement. SO... holding back info - if they do so - is not gamesmanship toward us. That's been over and done with since the announcement. If they obfuscate, it will be to leave doors open for them to snake through rules and play their next games.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Contra Rittenberg’s tweet, this ESPN article says OSU DID reach the Big 10 threshold for cancelling the game after testing Friday afternoon:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...uling-playing-game-vs-michigan-state-spartans
Quote from that article:
[OSU's team physician] confirmed Ohio State exceeded 7.5% in its population positivity rate, defined by the Big Ten as the number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk. Ohio State has not yet exceeded the 5% team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered). If both numbers are reached, Ohio State would be forced to stop all activities for a minimum of seven days before reassessing.
It sounds like the B10 established two thresholds, and cancellation is mandated only when both are met. OSU exceeded one threshold, but not the other. So their cancellation was voluntary/strategic/out of caution (depending upon which camp you fall into).

It’s a fricking football game people. I think OSU would have liked to play. This will make their second cancelled game, and if they have to cancel next week then conference championship game is out and possibly playoffs. They’re not playing because they initially had some positives and then they had more positives after they tested last night. Whose to say that after playing the game, there wouldn’t be additional positive tests tonight by players who played in the game — potentially infecting Illini players. By next week they’ll have a better handle on how bad the spread has been among the team. If it is no worse than it is now then they’ll be able to play — and without those who had previously tested positive and those out for contact tracing. There have been games canceled in B1G already this year, and I haven’t seen anyone on here yelling “show me the proof, show me the numbers” for those games. But now that it impacts Illinois it must be some nefarious plot? Come on.
Agree with this. Illinois players tested positive plus contact tracing (roommates). Wasn’t clear which day of week this was, but I believe it was before players started practicing for the week. Really limited the exposure based on timing.
afterwards there was 1 more player that tested positive? I think Moore? Situation was under control and therefore game played.
OSU practiced all week. Rumors Head coach tested positive, believe a LB tested positive. Going to take a few days more of testing to figure out exposure spread due to practicing together. Active situation still.

Status
Not open for further replies.