Illinois ranked #24 in AP Poll (Jan. 13th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingillini11

North Aurora
The promised land!

source.gif

Deleted member 4960

D
That’s Awesome! Keep it going boys!

Nice to be recognized, but this is only an indicator. Looking forward to the team proving themselves through the rest of the season. And then the REAL fun starts!

11 Big Ten teams either Ranked or receiving votes by my count:

Rank Team Points
15 Michigan State (735)
17 Maryland (616)
19 Michigan (358)
21 Ohio State (270)
24 Illinois (109)
26 Iowa (88)
29 Indiana (50)
31 Penn St (36)
34 Wisconsin (19)
37 Purdue (10)
41 Rutgers (8)

Good recognition of the work that the team has done, but hopefully the team isn't satisfied. Still a long way to go and I think this team has the right mindset to get it done. I know the B1G is recognized as a very good league with solid teams throughout, but I wonder if this constant beating up of one another really helps or hurts? For example, Illinois beats up on Purdue, Purdue beats up MSU, MSU beat Illinois....how is the committee supposed to evaluate that?! I don't know how to evaluate that...and each of them was a bit of a blowout (on paper at least). I hope we get 10 in, but I wonder if we don't start to establish clear leaders that it'll be very confusing to evaluate when all said and done.

Hold home court and win a few on the road and we will just keep moving up all year. Where we are at come tourney time is what matters. This is a good place to start lets keep it going.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I know the B1G is recognized as a very good league with solid teams throughout, but I wonder if this constant beating up of one another really helps or hurts? For example, Illinois beats up on Purdue, Purdue beats up MSU, MSU beat Illinois....how is the committee supposed to evaluate that?! I don't know how to evaluate that...and each of them was a bit of a blowout (on paper at least). I hope we get 10 in, but I wonder if we don't start to establish clear leaders that it'll be very confusing to evaluate when all said and done.

I think we'll be okay, since we still have 12 teams in the top 41 NET Rankings (as of 1/12/20):

12 MSU
16 OSU
17 Maryland
25 Wisc
29 Mich
30 Rutgers
31 Iowa
33 Illinois
34 Purdue
35 PSU
39 Indiana
41 Minny

(https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings)

The committee should recognize how hard road wins were to come by this year. I think home teams are 31-5 at this point.

sacraig

The desert
I think we'll be okay, since we still have 12 teams in the top 41 NET Rankings (as of 1/12/20):

12 MSU
16 OSU
17 Maryland
25 Wisc
29 Mich
30 Rutgers
31 Iowa
33 Illinois
34 Purdue
35 PSU
39 Indiana
41 Minny

(https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings)

The committee should recognize how hard road wins were to come by this year. I think home teams are 31-5 at this point.

Interesting how we actually went down in NET while on a win streak against quality teams.

Good recognition of the work that the team has done, but hopefully the team isn't satisfied. Still a long way to go and I think this team has the right mindset to get it done. I know the B1G is recognized as a very good league with solid teams throughout, but I wonder if this constant beating up of one another really helps or hurts? For example, Illinois beats up on Purdue, Purdue beats up MSU, MSU beat Illinois....how is the committee supposed to evaluate that?! I don't know how to evaluate that...and each of them was a bit of a blowout (on paper at least). I hope we get 10 in, but I wonder if we don't start to establish clear leaders that it'll be very confusing to evaluate when all said and done.
The fact that Ohio State is last in the Big and still ranked higher than us tells me that the voters know exactly what is happening. In 1979 Magic and company at MSU won the conference with a 13-5 record including a loss to last place NW. They won the national championship.

I thought that was the most balanced conference I'd ever seen. This year is much more balanced than 78-79

Look at Baylor all the way up there. I’m really surprised considering Scott Drew isn’t that good of a coach. I wonder what changed.

sacraig

The desert
Yeah, not a big fan of that. I have no clue how the whole NET Rankings thing works. We beat three top 40 teams in a week and drop. Lol. Really?

My guess it that others near us just beat like 3 top 30 teams or something. Otherwise, no idea.

This is great news and I wonder what the posters who wanted to fire Underwood 10 days ago think.

Status
Not open for further replies.