Illinois ranked #24 in AP Poll (Jan. 13th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're actually fortunate this year. After losses to Miami(at home) and Missouri....it would have been an uphill climb to the last week of the season to overcome that. This year, every week(except this one), we play multiple "quality" opponents. We actually overcame those debacles before mid-January.

I expect there to be some separation in these next few weeks. I can't believe 10-12 teams are going to be this tightly bunched over the next 6-8 weeks. How many teams can this conference rationally get into the tournament?

We're actually fortunate this year. After losses to Miami(at home) and Missouri....it would have been an uphill climb to the last week of the season to overcome that. This year, every week(except this one), we play multiple "quality" opponents. We actually overcame those debacles before mid-January.

I expect there to be some separation in these next few weeks. I can't believe 10-12 teams are going to be this tightly bunched over the next 6-8 weeks. How many teams can this conference rationally get into the tournament?

Well the 13th(last) place team in the BIG is ranked 21st in the whole country. If that holds, I say more than ever.

Zorak

Naperville
Well the 13th(last) place team in the BIG is ranked 21st in the whole country. If that holds, I say more than ever.

Nobody credible actually believes OSU is the 13th-best team in the Big Ten.

Those are still bad losses. A little cushion would have been great. The B1G is brutal this year.

illini80

Forgottonia
Good recognition of the work that the team has done, but hopefully the team isn't satisfied. Still a long way to go and I think this team has the right mindset to get it done. I know the B1G is recognized as a very good league with solid teams throughout, but I wonder if this constant beating up of one another really helps or hurts? For example, Illinois beats up on Purdue, Purdue beats up MSU, MSU beat Illinois....how is the committee supposed to evaluate that?! I don't know how to evaluate that...and each of them was a bit of a blowout (on paper at least). I hope we get 10 in, but I wonder if we don't start to establish clear leaders that it'll be very confusing to evaluate when all said and done.
I mentioned earlier that AP poll will look more at W/L and teams will drop as they have. We had what 4 teams in the top 10 at one point? Now the highest ranked is 15th. But the NET rankings will remain strong and thats probably more important to post season aspirations.

I think the open question is still can the B10 win on the road in tourney games if this continues?

I'm waiting to hear from them!!
They were busy delivering the AP results.

brad underwood king.png

I mentioned earlier that AP poll will look more at W/L and teams will drop as they have. We had what 4 teams in the top 10 at one point? Now the highest ranked is 15th. But the NET rankings will remain strong and thats probably more important to post season aspirations.

I think the open question is still can the B10 win on the road in tourney games if this continues?

No they can't, because they don't play any road games in the Dance, just neutral site games. This type of conference prepares the B1G for the NCAA better than any other type. Bring it or you lose!

Zorak

Naperville
Pre/early season, people thought they were 2nd or 3rd best team in the B1G. What now?

You're making my point. You can't use OSU's place in the standings as evidence of how good the Big Ten is because we all know they're better than that.

You're making my point. You can't use OSU's place in the standings as evidence of how good the Big Ten is because we all know they're better than that.
Why not? OSU was highly rated and yet they are finding a load of trouble in a great league. Argument works fine in my world.

11 Big Ten teams either Ranked or receiving votes by my count:

Rank Team Points
15 Michigan State (735)
17 Maryland (616)
19 Michigan (358)
21 Ohio State (270)
24 Illinois (109)
26 Iowa (88)
29 Indiana (50)
31 Penn St (36)
34 Wisconsin (19)
37 Purdue (10)
41 Rutgers (8)
With the highest only ranked 15th nationally. What a weird season.

One thing is for sure, no one else in the conference is going to be afraid of a number next to our name. Hope the guys realize that. Thus far in the season, we had... some issues... handling success. That needs to change starting Saturday.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
They were busy delivering the AP results.

View attachment 5460
I don't think the ranking today vindicates anyone. We had bad losses and there was simply no justification to rank us until now. I always felt the potential to be good was there, but hadn't really put it together consistently on either end of the floor. To me, it was turning into another disappointing season (especially after the Miznoz loss but couldn't believe how badly MSU shredded us). At least we can lean on defense now - hopefully we find a way to improve our 3% shooting too. If we do, look out!

Good recognition of the work that the team has done, but hopefully the team isn't satisfied. Still a long way to go and I think this team has the right mindset to get it done. I know the B1G is recognized as a very good league with solid teams throughout, but I wonder if this constant beating up of one another really helps or hurts? For example, Illinois beats up on Purdue, Purdue beats up MSU, MSU beat Illinois....how is the committee supposed to evaluate that?! I don't know how to evaluate that...and each of them was a bit of a blowout (on paper at least). I hope we get 10 in, but I wonder if we don't start to establish clear leaders that it'll be very confusing to evaluate when all said and done.
Trying to figure which way this goes: We killed PU, they killed MSU, so in the rematch MSU is toast. Or PU killed MSU, MSU killed us, so We are toast in the PU rematch. Guess both could be true.

haasi

New York
Here’s what’s true IMO:
1. MSU is better than we are and outplayed us significantly when we played them at their place, but we can beat them on a good day especially at home and especially if we learn from some of the things that doomed us last time around.
2. Purdue is much much much better at home than on road. Basically two different teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.