Illinois State Redbirds Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloomington, IL
#5 Illinois State Redbirds at #1 New Hampshire Wildcats
Saturday, December 20 at 1PM CT on ESPNU and WatchESPN

Curious if anyone else is following the ISU playoff run?

I went to the 2nd round game against Northern Iowa and came away quite impressed with the ISU offense. It was good enough to watch them play Eastern Washington the following week on WatchESPN. We will have the game on ESPNU this weekend as well. Anyone else?

Tre Roberson is a very good player that could really contribute at almost any Big Ten program.

Marshaun Coprich is an undersized running back at 5-9 195 but the kid has some serious vision, burst and the legs never stop churning.

Cameron Meredith is a WR and at 6-3 200, he could play at most bigger schools as well. He played QB at ISU his first two years and switched to WR last season. He is really good.

They have some other good players too but those three are tremendous difference makers.

4th & Chalmers, a few years ago...Now? Weeki Wach
Had a lot of friends from HS go to ISU many moons ago, never rooted against them. Whether it's ISU, NIU, EIU, WIU, SIU, or SIU-E, I root for them...

I watched the highlights of the ISU/EWU game. Marshaun Coprich had a very good game with over 250 yds on the ground. Good team.

ISU's Spack has stated that he's not a candidate for the Kansas job. But, the AD at Kansas was the AD at ISU and hired Spack there. Spack's daughter is also on the football staff at Kansas currently. If you're Spack, even though you love Bloomington, Illinois, would you take a chance and multiply your salary by 6? Pretty sure my loyalty could be swayed with that kind of an increase.

ISU's Spack has stated that he's not a candidate for the Kansas job. But, the AD at Kansas was the AD at ISU and hired Spack there. Spack's daughter is also on the football staff at Kansas currently. If you're Spack, even though you love Bloomington, Illinois, would you take a chance and multiply your salary by 6? Pretty sure my loyalty could be swayed with that kind of an increase.
Uhh, Kansas already hired a coach.

Chicago, IL
kansas job? that's been filled for a week by the a&m receiver coach and recruiting coordinator, david beatty (sp?).

edit: Second and Chalmers beat me to it.

Bloomington, IL
He has made the statement that a Big 10 job would be his dream job. The four things that might keep him from making a jump are: (1) his son is on the ISU football team and is probably not quite talented enough to play at a place like Kansas, (2) he feels really good about ISU's chances of going all the way next year, (3) he and his wife love the Bloomington-Normal area and (4) if they are that good again next year, he will have opportunities next year as well. I would guess he would like to make it through 2 more years at ISU before moving on.

He has made the statement that a Big 10 job would be his dream job. The four things that might keep him from making a jump are: (1) his son is on the ISU football team and is probably not quite talented enough to play at a place like Kansas, (2) he feels really good about ISU's chances of going all the way next year, (3) he and his wife love the Bloomington-Normal area and (4) if they are that good again next year, he will have opportunities next year as well. I would guess he would like to make it through 2 more years at ISU before moving on.
That's a good point. One more really good season and he will have better options than Kansas.

Mattoon-Charleston Area
I grew up 25 miles north of Bloomington-Normal, several of my friends and high school classmates attended ISU. Add me to the list as an ISU well-wisher.

Hard to overstate what a great job Brock Spack has done in Normal. ISU's finishing up their best season in school history, playing for their first national championship, and on top of that haven't lost at home since 2012. Rooting for the 'birds to win it all this year, and for continued success for Spack wherever he ends up in the future!

aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless
Hard to overstate what a great job Brock Spack has done in Normal. ISU's finishing up their best season in school history, playing for their first national championship, and on top of that haven't lost at home since 2012. Rooting for the 'birds to win it all this year, and for continued success for Spack wherever he ends up in the future!
Champaign?

Given our stigma against MAC coaches I can't even imagine how the Illini faithful would react to an FCS coach...

I will say though, both Massey and Sagarin have ISU as the top team in the state at the end of the season. Above Illinois, above Northwestern, above Northern. Yes they all had pretty crappy years but the fact that that's even possible with an FCS team really hints at what Spack's capable of IMHO :thumb:

...depending on what ISU does next year, and how TB does with next year's team, is there a thought to keep Spack close by and not let him run away to another coaching position before first looking 45 minutes south? Who knows, too far to tell.

But I can say, ISU has been fun to watch this year. And to think its an all conference final with teams who shared the conference title. If they would have played each other during the season, there was a big possibility one of the teams would have never made it in the playoffs. Go birds.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
...depending on what ISU does next year, and how TB does with next year's team, is there a thought to keep Spack close by and not let him run away to another coaching position before first looking 45 minutes south? Who knows, too far to tell.

But I can say, ISU has been fun to watch this year. And to think its an all conference final with teams who shared the conference title. If they would have played each other during the season, there was a big possibility one of the teams would have never made it in the playoffs. Go birds.
It's a big gamble putting an FCS coach in a power 5 conference. Recruiting is completely different.

And ISU is 45 minutes northwest.

I will say though, both Massey and Sagarin have ISU as the top team in the state at the end of the season. Above Illinois, above Northwestern, above Northern. Yes they all had pretty crappy years but the fact that that's even possible with an FCS team really hints at what Spack's capable of IMHO :thumb:
You think 11-3 with a conference championship is a crappy year? I wish Illinois would have crappy years like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.