Pregame: Illinois vs Akron, Saturday, August 31st, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate post, but I was looking for recommendations for (hopefully free) places to park around C-U for the game. My dad and I usually travel separately from hours away and we only have one parking pass for lot 42 this year. Normally we've gotten down early and he has parked in the lot behind Murphy's for free. I would pick him up from there and we would drive to lot 42. With all of the changes that happen every year, I was wondering if somebody could confirm that lots is still there and available or if you have any other recommendations for coming down to the game.

I know I can buy parking for $20 but was looking for a free alternative. Thanks in advance.

Behind Murphy's was completely redeveloped so that lot is sadly gone. You could potentially use street parking in the same area though. Lot A9 is still nearby there as well.
My family and I would frequently park on the east end of Pennsylvania Ave as some of the University lots near there didn't get turned into paid tailgating and take a nice stroll down Penn to the stadium. You could always try that area!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate post, but I was looking for recommendations for (hopefully free) places to park around C-U for the game. My dad and I usually travel separately from hours away and we only have one parking pass for lot 42 this year. Normally we've gotten down early and he has parked in the lot behind Murphy's for free. I would pick him up from there and we would drive to lot 42. With all of the changes that happen every year, I was wondering if somebody could confirm that lots is still there and available or if you have any other recommendations for coming down to the game.

I know I can buy parking for $20 but was looking for a free alternative. Thanks in advance and please remove if it inappropriate.
Hessel Park is two blocks west of Niel and a great place to park. There are also street parking around that area a bit closer. Hessell is a straight line walk up Kirby or you could cut up to Stadium drive depending on plans tailgate etc.

Yeah, I suppose that one was a little out there... but the rest of my post stands.

A really good friend of mine is a Michigan fan (so... not that good of a friend of mine). He'll attend the Michigan games at Illinois, and afterwards will always tell me how it feels like a funeral every time he's in that stadium.

He's not wrong.

Winning will change some of that... I hope...

Tell your friend that A-Train fumbled the ball and Rocky Harvey did not. Having been at that game, it game will forever stick in my craw!

blackdog

Champaign

I know I can buy parking for $20 but was looking for a free alternative. Thanks in advance and please remove if it inappropriate.

I agree with the Hessel Park option. There's plenty of street parking if you're early enough and it's walkable as well.

I'd recommend Schoolyard Tavern on Southport. It's an Illini bar and the Cubs are playing that afternoon, so it should be a pretty good atmosphere and crowd in there.

Brickhouse in Wrigleyville actually seems pretty committed to being an "Illini bar," as well, but I am guessing not so much on days the Cubs are playing. The Illini bar situation in the city really is dire, I found an old list and it's astonishing how much worse it has gotten, too:

https://www.sportbarsinchicago.com/ncaa-chicago-bars/illinois-fighting-illini/

Parlay at Joy District - I see no indication they are an "Illinois bar" at all, haha.
Brickhouse Tavern - Seems legit
The Ogden - Seems to have transitioned to only Notre Dame :(
Barn and Company - Closed :(
Schoolyard Tavern - Seems legit
Joe's on Weed - Seems to have transitioned to only Indiana :(
Bird's Nest - I see no indication this is one, either...

I guess that is what being bad does. If Illinois were good, literally every non-other-Big-Ten-rival bar would suddenly become "your home for Illini football!" of course, haha. I guess I'm betting on Schoolyard, then!

Illini will win, but it will be close. Akron will start much faster than what UoI will expect; look for Akron to cover the +16.5

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Second coming of Baker Mayfield by the time he is a senior? Anybody?

Baker Mayfield won the starting job at Texas Tech as a walk-on true freshman and threw for 2300 yards and 12 touchdowns and ran for 3 more in just 8 games.

Akron-Illinois is on BTN here. Yay!

Going to Uconn-Illinois the following week. Yay!
What, you have BTN in Massachusetts!? I don't have it in my benighted corner of Pennsylvania...and there's a team here that's IN the B1G. I just have to figure out if I will be able to watch it on YouTube TV...which I have just to get BTN.

But I'll be at UConn as well. Everybody in the eastern seaboard should be there. It's a small stadium, only 40k or so. We could paint it orange.

What, you have BTN in Massachusetts!? I don't have it in my benighted corner of Pennsylvania...and there's a team here that's IN the B1G. I just have to figure out if I will be able to watch it on YouTube TV...which I have just to get BTN.

But I'll be at UConn as well. Everybody in the eastern seaboard should be there. It's a small stadium, only 40k or so. We could paint it orange.

Largest crowd last year was 28,000. We could indeed paint the stadium orange.

Is this the start of our national championship season?

Have to beat Akron first. They are no pushovers. Tommy Zagorski is really re-vamping the offense; will have a more than capable QB in Kato Nelson to lead it on the field. The guy can both run and throw, so if Lovie doesnt put a spy on him he could be gashing Illinois for yards all day.

As I said, it will be close. They need to be ready for a nail biter.

Hoping we run all over them and get the W. Also excited to see Peters as our starting QB.

Second coming of Baker Mayfield by the time he is a senior? Anybody?

I checked into this, and it turns out that Robinson is actually the second coming of Jason Verduzco.

Have to beat Akron first. They are no pushovers. Tommy Zagorski is really re-vamping the offense; will have a more than capable QB in Kato Nelson to lead it on the field. The guy can both run and throw, so if Lovie doesnt put a spy on him he could be gashing Illinois for yards all day.

As I said, it will be close. They need to be ready for a nail biter.

The guy completed 50% of his passes, had 8 ints, and only ran for 300 yards in a pretty weak MAC conference. Not sure what team you're talking about here but this game will NOT be close.

And if it is... oof... gonna be a long season.

Guys, self-aware geezer here...

what is the origin of "Littyville"? What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.