Pregame: Illinois vs Baylor, Wednesday, December 2nd, 9:00pm CT, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention, Baylor isn't just any old #2 ... I think in the eyes of the college basketball world, Gonzaga is effectively the 2005 Illini squad, and Baylor is the 2005 North Carolina squad. In other words, most fans think the dropoff after the top 2 is huge.

The more I've read leading up to this game, the more I get a sense that's a legitimate comparison. Hard to make that characterization this early in the season, but Gonzaga certainly looks the part of an elite team, and Baylor has the remaining #1 votes in the polls.

No idea if the guys can take them down, but it should be competitive. If they hang, I like the team's ability to close out. And if they lose, I don't see a downside to this one, honestly. A top-5 match-up is only going to help them understand what it takes come tournament time.

When I saw this on the schedule, I was thinking it's a W, but as people have stated, the more I learn about Baylor the more I'm hoping we can at least keep it close and play a solid game with a chance to win. A win would be huge, but I'm no longer overly-optimistic, especially after the Ohio game.

When I saw this on the schedule, I was thinking it's a W, but as people have stated, the more I learn about Baylor the more I'm hoping we can at least keep it close and play a solid game with a chance to win. A win would be huge, but I'm no longer overly-optimistic, especially after the Ohio game.

FWIW, ESPN's BPI metric has Baylor favored over Gonzaga, and only a few percent different from our matchup win percent.

If we can do this a majority of the time, we can match up with Baylor and maybe even beat them by a 10 point difference 👇

It seems we keep hearing how great their guards are, probably because that's their strength. But I for 1 don't think our guards take a backseat to any teams all season, and they don't have a Kofi. Cut down on turnovers, shoot well and make fts we should be fine. Some on here are acting like staying within 10 is fine, not me.

It seems we keep hearing how great their guards are, probably because that's their strength. But I for 1 don't think our guards take a backseat to any teams all season, and they don't have a Kofi. Cut down on turnovers, shoot well and make fts we should be fine. Some on here are acting like staying within 10 is fine, not me.
I agree. We need to rebound as well. In other words do all the basics better than Baylor and we win.

From the Baylor fans' comments, Ayo v. Mitchell should be a treat to watch: one of the best driving guards v. one of the best defenders. Ayo does turn it over sometimes, so to start a discussion, I'll say we need him to keep it at no more than three for the game.

If his first drive ends with an assist, I'll like our chances here.

Also wonder if Brad brings out the defensive game plan he used for Michigan last year: chase 'em off the line, wasn't it?

Dicky Vitale giving no respect to the Illini (i think he said Baylor was playing Oregon) while gushing all over himself about Baylor. Someone needs to post this in Ayo's locker tmr.

sacraig

The desert
Dicky Vitale giving no respect to the Illini (i think he said Baylor was playing Oregon) while gushing all over himself about Baylor. Someone needs to post this in Ayo's locker tmr.

People still pay attention to Dick Vitale? Also, Dick Vitale is still on TV?

sacraig

The desert
Diaper Dandies are a coming.

giphy.gif

This should be a great test of our guards. All American against All American and excellent complementary guards. Advantage on paper for them is their ability to shoot the three. If we shoot per this years stats we will have no problem. If we shoot like last year we will be run over. Just need to play the guards even and Kofi will take care of the rest.

Game day people! Let’s go! No complaining from the majority of you folks in the central time zone, us East coasters will be having an afternoon coffee for this one.

Go Illini

Status
Not open for further replies.