Admin
Illinois vs Hawaii
Monday, November 18th
7:00pm CT
ESPNU

:illinois:

foby

Bonnaroo Land
A full weeks rest and a lot of angst. First game we hang a hundred this season. Maybe. But we will take care of business regardless.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I sense that once again this game will be closer than we'd all like. Hope I'm wrong (in a good way).

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
What an awesome road trip for Hawaii! Illinois in November!

tenor.gif

We are conditioned to think we suck, but I remember more than a couple of WTF blowouts in years we’ve been good. Those incredibly exciting and fulfilling 2000-2006 teams all lost some deflating games, sans 2005 and perhaps 2001 (can’t remember). An absolute thrashing at Indiana stands out in 2002, lol.

I happen to think Arizona might be close to a top ten team, especially as their freshman studs progress. We take this one on the chin and move on. If we don’t handle Hawaii easily, THEN I’ll really start to re-evaluate this team’s potential this year. I predict we go on a run now.

Hawaii 71
Illinois 93

Hawaii is currently 1-1 and are playing in the Rainbow Classic, their early season tournament. They defeated Florida A&M 65-52 on Friday before losing to South Dakota yesterday 81-75. They still play Pacific later tonight in that tournament in addition to having a regular non-conference game at home vs. Portland State on Friday before taking on the Illini next Monday.

Deleted member 652751

D
Hawaii is currently 1-1 and are playing in the Rainbow Classic, their early season tournament. They defeated Florida A&M 65-52 on Friday before losing to South Dakota yesterday 81-75. They still play Pacific later tonight in that tournament in addition to having a regular non-conference game at home vs. Portland State on Friday before taking on the Illini next Monday.
What is their scoring avg and shot %? You can pretty much add 10-12% to the % and probably 10-15 pts. given our lack of D.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
We’ll win, but even if it’s by a bunch I just don’t think it will tell us enough about the team right now. I see us struggling until we figure out how to play together in this configuration. And, of course, our horrible defense just has to tighten up.

My feeling is that it’s going to be a roller coaster, but that we could get hot mid to late season when everything starts to gel, and who plays where and when gets sorted.

Our last game against Hawaii (@Hawaii in 2012) was one of the most underrated Illini games ever. DJ Richardson hit a game winning 3 in OT at the buzzer when we were down 2. He got the shot off with 0.1 seconds left on the clock.

In 2007 Chester Frazier had to score 19 points on 6 of 10 shooting from the floor and 4 of 6 from the line to sneak past Hawaii 79-77...I wouldn't call that one an underrated Illini game of all time though. That was a season high output for him that season. That game was also on the road...I don't trust when we play them in Honolulu. I think we're better off when we play them stateside.

Appear to be mainly a guard oriented team and not very deep. Last two games they've shot very well from 3. Hopefully a comfortable win for the good guys.

What is the boards feeling on us playing more zone, it seems like we can not keep our man from going by us in our man to man

What is the boards feeling on us playing more zone, it seems like we can not keep our man from going by us in our man to man

Would love for us to try a 2-1-2 Zone...Griffin/Ayo/Frazier/Feliz up top....Williams/Griffin/Nichols/Jones in middle and Kofi/Nichols/Giorgi on baseline?

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
Would love for us to try a 2-1-2 Zone...Griffin/Ayo/Frazier/Feliz up top....Williams/Griffin/Nichols/Jones in middle and Kofi/Nichols/Giorgi on baseline?
If we're going to run a non 2-3 zone, then in my opinion we should run a 1-2-2. Very few holes, only question is if we're comfortable with Kofi chasing people out to the line.

I love zone defense. I like the high and wide 2-3 we play with our wings. Really wanna see some of that 1-3-1 we ran vs the zags last year and in Italy. We also did some mid-possession defensive switches in italy, and I’d like to see some of that too.

This or the 2-1-2 is the favored I believe over the 2-3 zone....it covers more area (3's) and lends itself to allowing more aggressive defense. Unless your name ends in Cuse.....the 2-3 is the most easily gameplanned for as well.

Deleted member 652751

D
Appear to be mainly a guard oriented team and not very deep. Last two games they've shot very well from 3. Hopefully a comfortable win for the good guys.
Don't see it being easy if they are a strong 3 shooting team. Our defense has not shown it can stop a team from making threes, in fact most teams seem to shoot better than their average against us. Our guards have trouble stopping guard penetration as well. Hope we have a good week of practice figuring out how to improve those areas.

Deleted member 652751

D
It seems we give up 42% 3 point shooting and shoot 29% as a team. They shoot 35% as a team. Yea, if that holds true don't see this being easy.

i like it. Have they practiced it though?
If we're going to run a non 2-3 zone, then in my opinion we should run a 1-2-2. Very few holes, only question is if we're comfortable with Kofi chasing people out to the line.
What guard can stay out in front of defenders?

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Hawaii plays Portland State at home this Friday (tomorrow). They play at Illinois Monday, then go back to Hawaii to host New Orleans the following Sunday. That is an awfully long and I would guess expensive trip for just one game. Wonder what kind of guarantee Illinois is giving them for the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.