Illinois vs Nebraska in Dublin, Ireland (Aug. 28th, 2021)

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Giving up a home game for this?

Anyway, Dublin is a very cool city, I would recommend the trip with or without Illinois Football.

Dan

Admin
This was originally a home Illinois game on Nov. 13th 2021.

So, like in 2018 with the week 3 USF game, Illinois has yet again under AD Whitman given up a potentially great game at home.

With Illinois Football, the best way to boost the excitement around this program is to have great moments at home. A fun week of buildup to a huge home game, followed by (I know, I know, bear with me here) a great outcome. In order to achieve this, you just need to keep the schedule simple, nothing fancy.

I don't agree with moving potentially great home games away from home. Illinois Football doesn't need to be involved in silly gimmicky overseas promotions. Go Illini

Neale Stoner Fan Club

Tailgreat
Chiraq
Just like his hero, St. Guenther, Josh Wonder Boy Whitman is giving up a home game to play in a "neutral" site. What a joke. 6 home games in 2021, two of the first three games that season are on the road. The Champaign Chamber of Commerce should burn down the DIA.

redwingillini11

North Aurora
"If we can't qualify for bowl game.... What if we make our own bowl game???"

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il
This was originally a home Illinois game on Nov. 13th 2021.

So, like in 2018 with the week 3 USF game, Illinois has yet again under AD Whitman given up a potentially great game at home.

With Illinois Football, the best way to boost the excitement around this program is to have great moments at home. A fun week of buildup to a huge home game, followed by (I know, I know, bear with me here) a great outcome. In order to achieve this, you just need to keep the schedule simple, nothing fancy.

I don't agree with moving potentially great home games away from home. Illinois Football doesn't need to be involved in silly gimmicky overseas promotions. Go Illini

Like anybody was going to go to this game anyhow.

Deleted member 649710

D
This is dumber than dumb. Give up a home game? Play a tough opponent in the opening game rather than a patsy? Possibly lose a couple practice games due to the travel and time changes? How many players will give a hoot about visiting Ireland? WHY?!

I'm also very excited for this. I've got a group (3 Illini, 1 Nebby fan) that travel to games each year. We're all going to this. I don't care that it's in Ireland. They're going to sell more tickets to this than a home game in Champaign, and they're also going to be making money off of the ticket packages. This is probably a no brainer for the DIA to make money. It sucks for local businesses of course, but maybe it means that they'll have more fans at the remaining home games, and it offsets. I don't really know, that's just speculation.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Also, to take the non-Illinois specific college football fan view of this: Week Zero sucks and needs to go away.

And the people of Ireland rejoiced? DIA will be lucky to sell 100 tickets to this. If I was going to take a vacation to Ireland, the absolute last thing I would do would be to ruin it by watching Illinois give up 650 yards to Nebraska.

Deleted member 649710

D
Notre Dame has played in Ireland several times, with attendance averaging around 43k. Notre Dame. How many hundreds will travel for the Illini?:doh: