Illinois vs Nebraska in Dublin, Ireland (Aug. 28th, 2021)

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I wonder what they will charge for tickets. At $100 per we would need to sell 15,000 tickets. How will tickets be sold? The only thing that I've seen so far are tour packages at ~$5k/person.

I assume selling to European fans/those interested. The NFL games in London sell out and nobody cares about the Bears or Raiders. We aren't Notre Dame, but in 2012, 15,000 tickets were sold in 2 hours and 35k Americans went to Dublin to watch the game.

According to the map on the sale sight, Nebraska has already sold out 7 of their 11 sections. We have sold out 0 of the 6 we have available. Lol.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
According to the map on the sale sight, Nebraska has already sold out 7 of their 11 sections. We have sold out 0 of the 6 we have available. Lol.

You can see how this all comes together. Notre Dame and Navy will play anywhere, BC can see the appeal, but they don't want to have the same teams all the time, who travels amazingly and would have fans jumping at the chance? Nebraska! But any team with that sort of fanbase would never just give away a home game (except ND who has fantasies about being a national school and does this all the time) so who's dumb enough to play the sucker here? Ooh, I know who!

Well yeah, if someone has to play the loveable punching bag for all eternity, why not us?

Maybe the endgame here is if we get people to feel sorry enough for us they'll just let us claim National Championshops on their behalf.

I guess losing in America got boring so why not lose in Ireland? We look like we'll be even more patheticin 2021 than we are this year with 30 now juniors leaving after next year

I mean...why not do it? We'd be losing in front of a pro-Nebraska crowd at Memorial Stadium anyways...might as well have an excuse to lose in a pro-Nebraska environment overseas.

ChiefIlliniwek

Omaha, Nebraska
Article yesterday in the Lincoln newspaper about the game. Not shocking but Nebraska outpacing Illinois in sales I guess:

Nebraska fans are buying up travel packages for the 2021 Aer Lingus College Classic in Ireland faster than Illinois fans. "Nebraska is certainly off to a commanding lead in that regard, let's just say," said John Anthony, a representative for Irish American Events Limited, the organizer of the game as well as four previous college football games in Ireland

I found this part pretty interesting too:

"Our package sales record for any game in Ireland is for this year's game between Notre Dame and Navy coming up this August," Anthony said. "But at this point, compared to the same point 12 months ago, the Nebraska-Illinois game is about 10% ahead of that one. We were thrilled with the initial response by fans — it was huge right out of the gate. And it's still going well."

Here is the whole article