Pregame: Illinois vs Wisconsin, Saturday, October 19th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Hopefully Lovie rolls out a few more of his wrinkles on the defensive side.

7c00847a2d3a63ce3535880afe06a4fe177dde87v2_hq.jpg

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Perhaps the most discouraging and damning thing about this season is how Lovie keeps saying we don’t need to change the system, just execute better.
Hard to fix problems if you have no idea what they are. Talking about executing better or adding a few wrinkles to things is like trying to dab on some spackle during a fully involved house fire.

illini80

Forgottonia
I mean, this isn't wrong at all, though. Misguided though his scheme is, it definitely isn't being executed properly. Our secondary scurries around the field like a disturbed nest of ants.
Pretty much every defense works if you execute it properly, but Lovie refuses to recognize that his players can’t play “his” defense, and then refuses to try new approaches that may better match our abilities. This is the single biggest reason I am giving up on him.

Deleted member 654622

D
Perhaps the most discouraging and damning thing about this season is how Lovie keeps saying we don’t need to change the system, just execute better.
Like others, the execute better statements also infuriate me.
1. It is your job to assemble a coaching staff to coach these players up to execute better. If they are not executing your scheme, then you are not teaching them. That is the coaches fault
2. It is your job to assemble a coaching staff that recruits players that have the talent to execute your defense. If the roster lacks the talent, then that is the coaches fault
So which is it Lovie, the coaches fault or the coaches fault?

BZuppke

Plainfield
And amazingly, we still have people who embrace and cling to this crapitude. smh
I’m not sure if the craptitude but if you mean the idea that Chicago recruits come easy I agree. Chicago is not a college town nor do they have the type of in state loyalty that other states have. That being said, I believe that our issue has always been not hiring the right guy and at times having poor monetary support for paying assistants etc. Kansas State, Va Tech, Stanford, NW among others have managed to turn perpetual losers into respectable football programs because they had the right coach. There’s no special curse at Illinois.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I’m not sure if the craptitude but if you mean the idea that Chicago recruits come easy I agree. Chicago is not a college town nor do they have the type of in state loyalty that other states have. That being said, I believe that our issue has always been not hiring the right guy and at times having poor monetary support for paying assistants etc. Kansas State, Va Tech, Stanford, NW among others have managed to turn perpetual losers into respectable football programs because they had the right coach. There’s no special curse at Illinois.
I specifically meant hanging on to coaches who have long since proven themselves not up to the task.

It’s so immensely important that we never forget this ... hell, there’s the opposite of a curse; we’ve just managed to squander everything.

Lovie needs our help. Can you imagine how difficult it is to think of something different to say at the post-game press conference after every loss.
Please contribute to the list. :) :)

We Have to Learn to Stop the Run

We Have to Learn to Cover their Receivers

You have to Play to Win the Game

They Were Who We Thought They Were

Dad Gum It!

I'm Proud of the Way We Performed in Practice this week.

I'm Proud of the Fact We Kept Fighting out there

We've Got to Keep Chopping Wood

One Game, Does not a season make.

Our Team Gives 110 Percent Every Time We Are on the Field

The Better Team Won Today

Losing is part of the game. If you never lose, you are never truly tested, and never forced to grow.

Failure is never fatal. It’s courage that counts.

You have no choices about how you lose, but you do have a choice about how you come back and prepare to lose again.

The hardest skill to acquire in this sport is the one where you compete all out, give it all you have, and you are still getting your brains beat ou no matter what you do.

Do you know what my favorite part of the game is? The opportunity to play.

Losing is often not temporary and can be all encompassing. You must simply study it, learn from it, and try hard not to lose the same way every week..

That's what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.

I really don’t think we need to play with more consistency.

We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play.

OK, maybe it really is as bad as it seems! Probably about 50% of teams are winning, while about 50% are losing. I've known a number of great coaches who had awful losing seasons.

I was a lot better coach when I had great players

And amazingly, we still have people who embrace and cling to this crapitude. smh

Not many. I didn't post much on the fball forum because there were so many optimists, and it felt out of place to pee on their parade. Even with our weak non-conf schedule, 3.5 O/(U) for wins seemed right to me. Turns out the under looks better now.

Sometimes the silent majority is out there, but it takes a bit for the faithful to lose faith.

Oh, and Whitman's "full support" is only a public thing. You can bet the beach house that his "full support" is for actually finding someone who give fans some hope.

So make one thing clear to me. It’s all the coaches’ fault, so you’re going to make the players go out in front of an empty stadium, because that way you’ll make an administration that doesn’t care about winning suddenly start to care and fire the athletic director, so maybe we can get someone worse, who wouldn’t have hired a basketball coach who seems on the cusp of success, wouldn’t have built the new football facility, who wouldn’t be bringing in D-I hockey? Or do I have something wrong here and should stay away in droves, and make sure to leave early, because that’ll show ‘em?

Deleted member 654622

D
So make one thing clear to me. It’s all the coaches’ fault, so you’re going to make the players go out in front of an empty stadium, because that way you’ll make an administration that doesn’t care about winning suddenly start to care and fire the athletic director, so maybe we can get someone worse, who wouldn’t have hired a basketball coach who seems on the cusp of success, wouldn’t have built the new football facility, who wouldn’t be bringing in D-I hockey? Or do I have something wrong here and should stay away in droves, and make sure to leave early, because that’ll show ‘em?
I think most people here think Whitman isn't the problem, unless he retains Lovie for another year. Lovie is the focal point

Status
Not open for further replies.