Pregame: Illinois vs Wisconsin, Wednesday, January 23rd, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't bring myself to predict a win vs. Wisconsin until we actually get one. :( I heard after our basketball loss to them last year that it is now the longest losing streak we have ever had vs. any Big Ten team in any sport ... that is VERY sad when you consider the historical prestige of programs like Ohio State and Michigan and how bad our football program has been vs. our basketball team. I will guess that we are down 4 at half and lose by 9. We just can't seem to figure ANYTHING out vs. that team ever. They make us look so unprepared.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Hold Happ below his season averages and put him on the FT line and we have a chance....Also hold that pritzel (sic) dude down and hit 40 % of our 3's and it could be interesting...

Dan

Admin
Underwood: Iowa is good. Pretty impressive you when you watched it again on film.

I don't know if we drank the poison of success or just being a little bit different & young & not being in that gym at all until game time.

We were flat & they were really good.

Underwood: On to Wisconsin & probably the most valuable player to his team in college basketball in Ethan Happ. Pretty impressive to look in the record book & see him in the top 3 or 4 in so many categories.

Underwood: Preseason, I thought (Wisconsin) was the best team in the league.

Underwood: I've told Giorgi to watch a lot of film of (Happ). Their skill sets remind me a lot of each other. Giorgi doesn't have that much freedom yet. That's a really big compliment to Giorgi. Hopefully he gets there.

Underwood: Had some conversations with Kipper the last couple days. Not going to say he's in 'a great place'. Frustrated that he hasn't played the way he's wanted to play.

Got to get him back to the basic things of just loving the game.

Underwood: When Samba completely understands the positioning, you see what his length and athleticism provides. We need him to do his work early to not get pinned in.

Every minute he plays, he gains confidence.

Underwood: Anthony Higgs will not play this season. No sense jeopardizing a year with what he could be. He gets an extended offseason.

Underwood: This is Coaches vs. Cancer week. You'll see us in sneakers and ties. Our guys were incredible yesterday at the Cancer Center.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

Last edited:
Underwood: I've told Giorgi to watch a lot of film of (Happ). Their skill sets remind me a lot of each other. Giorgi doesn't have that much freedom yet. That's a really big compliment to Giorgi. Hopefully he gets there.

I love to see this. If Giorgi can even come close to being Ethan Happ with a jump shot by his senior year, he'll be scary good.

7 players ranked in the Top 100 without counting Luther.
2002-2003 Roster.jpg

Hmmm..either BU is BSing or I doubt his talent evaluation...I have watched Wisconsin play a couple times...outside of Happ, they are pretty average...Ford looked like he was coming on...of course they flop more than any team in Big Ten... I give us a 1 in 3 shot at winning this game.. maybe less if we let Happ do what he wants..iirc, and maybe I don't, last year we did.

Deleted member 29907

D
That is a pretty ominous soundbyte on Kipper.
Kipper is kind of a spot shooter at this point - he's always been a bit awkward taking it to the hoop (and would twist away from contact). I'd like to see us take advantage of his 3 pt shooting more by penetration and kick outs, etc. He's not looking for his shot and he's got to have the worst luck over these last 3 or so games where everything he does is a foul.

This game is a huge contrast in styles (1/2 court, grind-it-out vs run and score in transition). I think the Wisconsin experience and discipline wins out and they impose their will on this game. I'll consider it a success if we hold Happ to under 30 points (without immediately fouling him as soon as he touches the ball).

On a completely unrelated note...I think Giorgi could be Happ-like by the time he's a senior.

I think we match up better with Wisconsin than Iowa. I can't predict a win, but I'll say it will be a better game (low bar, I know).

Deleted member 3875

D
Trent & Ayo clicking at the same time gives us a chance.

Hold Happ below his season averages and put him on the FT line and we have a chance....Also hold that pritzel (sic) dude down and hit 40 % of our 3's and it could be interesting...

Well finally something we are good at.

Gambling trends show that early money went on Illinois at +6 which moved the line down to +3.5-+4. Typically early jumps like that are caused by the Sharks because the public very rarely jumps on early lines. Take that as you want, but seems like big money thinks we have a shot or Sharks put money early on Illinois to get the line down to take Wisconsin big before the game at -3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.