IllinoisLoyalty Fantasy Football 2018-19

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The IllinoisLoyalty league returns for the 18/19 season!

It's August, which means Matthew Berry on ESPN 9 hours a day in anticipation of fantasy football season! In that spirit, we'll be kicking off the third year of the IllinoisLoyalty League. DM me if you're interested in playing this year.

A few proposed changes to the league...
  • Back to ESPN. I find their interface more user friendly than Yahoo.
  • No kickers! (and maybe no defenses???)
  • I'm still not a fan of PPR, but am willing to be convinced if others prefer it.
  • I'm also still old-school and prefer a snake draft. I know auctions are all the rage, but they frighten me.
Your feedback is welcome. Anywho...

...Fantasy League, ASSEMBLE!!!

giphy.gif

• I'm still not a fan of PPR, but am willing to be convinced if others prefer it.
  • I'm also still old-school and prefer a snake draft. I know auctions are all the rage, but they frighten me.
I'd prefer Yahoo if it all possible but I'll do ESPN if you so choose.
Kickers and defense stay. That's part of the fun of fantasy football and besides kickers and defenses aren't usually that big a key most weeks.
I have no opinion one way or the other about PPR. I'll do it whether we choose to be that type of league or not.
I didn't realize snake vs. auction was even a debate in this league. I'd much rather do snake draft anyway especially since this is the only league we do.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Since Yahoo seems to be the preference, I'll just keep the league from last year running. If you played last year, look for an email from me through the league about participating again this year. Everyone that responds to that message will be added to the league again this year. Those that don't respond will be cleared out to give others a chance to join the league.

I'll give a deadline of Aug. 17th for those who played last year to respond.

New players: Still DM me if you'd like to play and I'll add players in the order that they messaged me (assuming a few players from last season drop out).

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I will bow out this year, I only play once a decade, so the 10's are covered. It was fun last year, but I stayed up too many Thursday nights to watch games that I should of had no interest in. Spot open for at least one new player.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

I have my own league so I am more just genuinely interested, but why no kickers and no defense? Also we changed our waiver wire to FAAB and it was a ton of fun.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I have my own league so I am more just genuinely interested, but why no kickers and no defense? Also we changed our waiver wire to FAAB and it was a ton of fun.
I just find the process of finding swapping in defenses and kickers tedious, epecially kickers. And they're production is almost random so it's annoying. Anywho, it looks like most favor a tradition lineup, so we'll keep them in.

I just find the process of finding swapping in defenses and kickers tedious, epecially kickers. And they're production is almost random so it's annoying.

That's what makes it fun. Especially with finding defenses on a given week to use. Kickers you can pretty much just plug and play. Aside from a few pretty much guaranteed points guys among kickers, you can look online for someone else week to week.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
That's what makes it fun. Especially with finding defenses on a given week to use. Kickers you can pretty much just plug and play. Aside from a few pretty much guaranteed points guys among kickers, you can look online for someone else week to week.
I guess we have different ideas of fun! ;) I enjoy scouring the waiver wire for RBs, WRs, etc., but kickers and defenses just don't get my juices flowing. Oh well, must just be me.

It's looking like we'll have several spots open this year. If you didn't play last year, but want in on the action DM me!

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Ok, just three teams from last year that have yet to confirm for this season:
  • STORM
  • icengineer
  • Maddog3154
Deadline to confirm is tomorrow! After that, I'll open it up to new players.

Also, targeting Tuesday Sept. 4th, 8 pm CT for the draft. However, if too many have conflicts we can reschedule.

That should work. I may have to auto a portion of the draft depending on rec league volleyball schedule, but that won't be a big issue. I'll have a queue set if that issue arises

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Room for one more player. Send me a DM with your email address to claim the last spot.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Ok, the league is official full! Thanks to everyone who got in touch.

As far as league rules/scoring go, I've made one change from last year. I've changed our waiver wire system to FAAB, which I think will be a fun wrinkle this year. Other than that, my current plan is to keep things the same:

Snake Draft (Tuesday Sept, 4 @ 8PM Central)
No PPR (however, if there's a consensus I could be convinced to go .5 PPR)
Standard Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, Flex, Def, K

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
From "The Fantasy Footballers":

FAAB stands for Free Agent Acquisition Budget. As the name implies, you are given a budget (typically $100-500) at the beginning of the year to use on acquiring free agents. Free agents are awarded to the highest bidder. In the case of a tie, the winner is normally the player with the worse record and/or lowest point total.

Therefore...

Every player has a shot at every free agent each week. Bid too little and you miss out. Bid too much and you get your free agent, but you crush your budget and may miss out on a waiver-wire gem later in the year.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Hey Gents,

Need to move the draft as I have a commitment Tuesday night. Going to move it back to Wednesday at 8 pm. Sorry for the late change!

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Hope everyone enjoyed week 1. Most definitely enjoyed more points than my janky team (thanks LeSean McCoy/Tyler Burton).

How are people liking FAAB? I think it adds a really fun element to the league since everyone has a chance at free agents each week. That is until you run out of money, of course.

Here's to the start of week 3, and my newly founded "Blaisdell 2" franchises inevitable 0-3 start to the season that once looked so promising!

I always have been a fan of FAAB, so I'm glad that's the route you guys went with this league this season. However, it doesn't seem to be helping me do any good. D'OH!

I'm not in the IL league, but I'd love to hear some feedback on some trades I just made in two of my leagues.

Trade 1:
Team 1 receives: James Conner (RB).
Team 2 receives: Josh Gordon (WR).

Trade 2:
Team 1 receives: Odell Beckham (WR), Vikings (DST).
Team 2 receives: Stefon Diggs (WR), Rams (DST).

Which teams would you say are the "winners" in each trade? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not in this league, but I'd love to hear some feedback on some trades I just made in two of my leagues.

Trade 1:
Team 1 receives: James Conner (RB).
Team 2 receives: Josh Gordon (WR).

Trade 2:
Team 1 receives: Odell Beckham (WR), Vikings (DST).
Team 2 receives: Stefon Diggs (WR), Rams (DST).

Which teams are the "winners"?
James Conner, and its not close. Second trade is much more even, DST's are essentially worth the same, Giants are anemic.

I'd say team 1 wins the first trade (by a landslide), and team 2 wins the second (though it's probably a lateral move, Diggs is a safer player).

Only reason the Conner deal might be a little less one sided is the question of how long does he have that job? But having not seen how Gordon will get along with the other pieces in NE, its hard not to say the guy getting Conner won that one.

Trade 2, in a trade involving multiple pieces I like to be the person receiving the best player in the trade. The Giants have looked bad, but I still believe OBJ will figure it out and be a top WR the rest of the way. I believe he's the best player in the trade, so for that reason I'd give the nod in that one to Team 1.

Thank you for the feedback!

For anyone curious, I received Conner in trade #1 and received Diggs/Rams DST in trade #2. ODB showed up today, but we shall see how the season unfolds!