Iman Shumpert update

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
This premium story is probably free right now because Scout is allowing free access for a few days. In an abundance of caution, I won't give it away, so check the link if you can. There's not much new here: same timeline, same schools. North Carolina gets a visit only if they offer. Iman Shumpert sounds like he has the whole recruiting process completely under control. I really like his maturity.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=169&p=2&c=656006

Springfield
CY- I am not an "insider" at scout (am registered as a guest member) - I got the complete article - FWIW.

Banned
Seattle area
This premium story is probably free right now because Scout is allowing free access for a few days. In an abundance of caution, I won't give it away, so check the link if you can. There's not much new here: same timeline, same schools. North Carolina gets a visit only if they offer. Iman Shumpert sounds like he has the whole recruiting process completely under control. I really like his maturity.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=169&p=2&c=656006
Me, too. From the outset, he has handled this in a very mature manner. He seems to have his feet on the ground, and he must be getting some very solid input and advice. It's all you can ask. We hope his information gathering process cements his interest in Illinois, but, in the end, he needs to make the best possible choice for himself, his family, and his future. Everything about his approach suggests that he is in control and handling things properly so that his decision will be well-informed. The only thing worse than taking "inducements" in the process, would be making a wrong choice or deciding for the wrong reasons, and later regretting it (this, perhaps, is what happened to Eric Gordon, not that I'm in any sense approving of how he backed out of what he decided was a premature decision).

Banned
Seattle area
That last sentence didn't come out as I intended. Taking inducements clearly is the worst thing. The next worst thing is a poorly informed choice that turns out badly. Sometimes, despite doing everything right, a bad choice is made. But that's just life and probabilities.

Chief Optimism Officer
Chicago
That last sentence didn't come out as I intended. Taking inducements clearly is the worst thing. The next worst thing is a poorly informed choice that turns out badly. Sometimes, despite doing everything right, a bad choice is made. But that's just life and probabilities.
The worst thing for Shumpert would be NOT choosing Illinois. Period. :cool:

God, I want this guy to commit. Pleeeeeeeaaase come to Illinois, Iman! Please! Please! Please!

Banned
Roscoe, IL
Does the comment about UNC leave anyone else with that feeling..... None of the other schools mentioned make me nervous, but UNC has that mojo, that aura that kids go crazy for.

Banned
Seattle area
Does the comment about UNC leave anyone else with that feeling..... None of the other schools mentioned make me nervous, but UNC has that mojo, that aura that kids go crazy for.
Yes, it makes me very uncomfortable, too. Saying, "I'll only visit if you offer me," is another way of saying, "Please offer me!" I never like it when Illinois has to go head to head with an attractive, high-profile program. We haven't won one of those contests in many moons.

Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka
Nice post. Gives some perspective on his thought process.

I had a dream last night that Dunigan and Hump made a joint announcement that they were committing (to Illinois). Then Weber closed recruiting because Jamar and Jackson were coming back. Then I woke up and nobody had committed!

Banned
Seattle area
Nice post. Gives some perspective on his thought process.

I had a dream last night that Dunigan and Hump made a joint announcement that they were committing (to Illinois). Then Weber closed recruiting because Jamar and Jackson were coming back. Then I woke up and nobody had committed!
I have to say, I'm not sure which is worse, the nightmare, or our reality . . .

Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka
I have to say, I'm not sure which is worse, the nightmare, or our reality . . .

I'll take the two commits.

Clearly I spend too much time thinking about this, its infultrating my dreams.

North Carolina
UNC has not had a good recruiting year. Shump has opened the door, and I think UNC will respond. He is a mature kid for his age, and seems to be able to analyze what's important. I would not, however, be willing to trade our position with any other school, including UNC, for his recruitment. All things considered, it now looks like August before the next wave of action commences. Prediction: final three for Shump--Illinois, Wisconsin, UNC. If Dunigan commits to UI, we get Shump.

Banned
The Windy City
UNC has not had a good recruiting year. Shump has opened the door, and I think UNC will respond. He is a mature kid for his age, and seems to be able to analyze what's important. I would not, however, be willing to trade our position with any other school, including UNC, for his recruitment. All things considered, it now looks like August before the next wave of action commences. Prediction: final three for Shump--Illinois, Wisconsin, UNC. If Dunigan commits to UI, we get Shump.
Wisconsin is not in the Iman Shumpert sweepstakes, sorry. He eliminated them a while ago, at least that's what I'm hearing. Clemson, GT, Marquette, and Illinois are at the top of his wish list IMO.

I don't think UNC will respond, they've got bigger fish to fry still IMO. I think it'll take a month or so if they do offer. Iman knows what he's doing, he's playing the game. He loves getting offers and he's handled this thing very, very well. He has not shown his hand at all and that just speaks volumes of his maturity.

I've heard a couple places that he gives off the read that he knows where he wants to go. And I think all the rest of this stuff is just fluff.

Banned
Too Far From Assembly Hall
What happens if we don't get any of those top 5? What does Illinois do then?

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
Wisconsin is not in the Iman Shumpert sweepstakes, sorry. He eliminated them a while ago, at least that's what I'm hearing. Clemson, GT, Marquette, and Illinois are at the top of his wish list IMO. I've heard a couple places that he gives off the read that he knows where he wants to go. And I think all the rest of this stuff is just fluff.
Bingo! And you're still exactly right, as of today.

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=688151

Banned
The Windy City
Bingo! And you're still exactly right, as of today.

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=688151
*Stands up, takes a bow.*

I'll be here all week folks. :D ;) :p

Eh, if you've followed his recruitment those 4 schools weren't hard to nail down as his favorites. Surprised he didn't name off Marquette in there, because he did take a visit to them recently last month I believe.

It's going to come down to us, Clemson, and Marquette IMO. And maybe this is just me, but I feel really good about him (knock on wood). Call it a hunch.

Edit: Don't take that as we "lead" but I feel we're in the best position right now out of anyone. We'll see though, it could be the kool-aide talking. :D

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
What happens if we don't get any of those top 5? What does Illinois do then?
Shut the hoops program and allocate the scholarships to football. Seriously, we have six new guys in the class of '07 and we need more scholarships for '10, so we don't have to give out all two . . . or three . . . or four in '08. But we're going to be fine in '08. A little patience goes a LONG way. We haven't seen a single one of our realistic main recruits commit yet. I've been saying for weeks, if not months, that DeAndre Liggins isn't going to UI, so I don't count him as a realistic main recruit. I mean Scott Suggs, Iman Shumpert, Michael Dunigan, Matthew Humphrey, and Darius Miller. And now Terrence Jennings is in the mix, so we actually have MORE top recruits available than we did two months ago. It's hardly time to hit the panic button.

*Stands up, takes a bow.*

I'll be here all week folks. :D ;) :p

Eh, if you've followed his recruitment those 4 schools weren't hard to nail down as his favorites. Surprised he didn't name off Marquette in there, because he did take a visit to them recently last month I believe.

It's going to come down to us, Clemson, and Marquette IMO. And maybe this is just me, but he's ours to lose right now (knock on wood). Call it a hunch.
Is he still taking a visit to Notre Dame and Bradley? Dont sleep on Bradley in this thing

Illini Foot Soldier
Shut the hoops program and allocate the scholarships to football. Seriously, we have six new guys in the class of '07 and we need more scholarships for '10, so we don't have to give out all two . . . or three . . . or four in '08. But we're going to be fine in '08. A little patience goes a LONG way. We haven't seen a single one of our realistic main recruits commit yet. I've been saying for weeks, if not months, that DeAndre Liggins isn't going to UI, so I don't count him as a realistic main recruit. I mean Scott Suggs, Iman Shumpert, Michael Dunigan, Matthew Humphrey, and Darius Miller. And now Terrence Jennings is in the mix, so we actually have MORE top recruits available than we did two months ago. It's hardly time to hit the panic button.
Cosign. Haha classic :)

Banned
The Windy City
Is he still taking a visit to Notre Dame and Bradley? Dont sleep on Bradley in this thing
If he chooses Bradley over the schools he just listed, I'll be floored. They are a good MVC school but the MVC is still the MVC and doesn't get near the exposure that the Big Ten and ACC does. He likes Bradley but I think he'll pass.

Mainly because he has not mentioned them lately and from all the things I'm getting, it's a 3 horse race. Possibly a 2, but Sturdy seems to think Iman knows where he's going, just taking his tame.

North Carolina
It's impossible to count UNC out if they make an offer, and show a sincere interest. Get any 17 year-old-kid to stand in the Dean Dome. They look up at those banners, and think about Michael Jordan. They walk around one of the most beautiful campuses in the US. It has an impact. Nevertheless, we are in better shape than UNC--for now. Iman has said a key factor is who he plays with. It's unlikely he will be our first commit.

I'm glad to hear WI is out of the picture. Two weeks ago I read an article indicating that they have remained active in his recruiting. Marquette cannot be dismissed, although, once again I think we have more to offer. As far as Clemson goes, I just don't get it but that's what makes college sports exciting.

Recruiting Correspondent
Michigan
It's impossible to count UNC out if they make an offer, and show a sincere interest. Get any 17 year-old-kid to stand in the Dean Dome. They look up at those banners, and think about Michael Jordan.
Or they can come to UI and meet Michael Jordan. Just ask Quinton Watkins! :)

Banned
Seattle area
Shut the hoops program and allocate the scholarships to football. Seriously, we have six new guys in the class of '07 and we need more scholarships for '10, so we don't have to give out all two . . . or three . . . or four in '08. But we're going to be fine in '08. A little patience goes a LONG way. We haven't seen a single one of our realistic main recruits commit yet. I've been saying for weeks, if not months, that DeAndre Liggins isn't going to UI, so I don't count him as a realistic main recruit. I mean Scott Suggs, Iman Shumpert, Michael Dunigan, Matthew Humphrey, and Darius Miller. And now Terrence Jennings is in the mix, so we actually have MORE top recruits available than we did two months ago. It's hardly time to hit the panic button.[/QUOTE

'08 is absolutely vital for multiple reasons, foremost among them the reputation of the program and Bruce Weber as a rectruiter and motivator.

Where do you guys come up with statements like, "jumping off ledges", "hitting the panic button,", and "crapping your shorts"? Shakespeare said, rather famously, "Me thinks thou dost protest too much." Put another way, "The first smeller's always the feller." I'm wondering who's panicing here?

Shut the hoops program and allocate the scholarships to football. Seriously, we have six new guys in the class of '07 and we need more scholarships for '10, so we don't have to give out all two . . . or three . . . or four in '08. But we're going to be fine in '08. A little patience goes a LONG way. We haven't seen a single one of our realistic main recruits commit yet. I've been saying for weeks, if not months, that DeAndre Liggins isn't going to UI, so I don't count him as a realistic main recruit. I mean Scott Suggs, Iman Shumpert, Michael Dunigan, Matthew Humphrey, and Darius Miller. And now Terrence Jennings is in the mix, so we actually have MORE top recruits available than we did two months ago. It's hardly time to hit the panic button.[/QUOTE

'08 is absolutely vital for multiple reasons, foremost among them the reputation of the program and Bruce Weber as a rectruiter and motivator.

Where do you guys come up with statements like, "jumping off ledges", "hitting the panic button,", and "crapping your shorts"? Shakespeare said, rather famously, "Me thinks thou dost protest too much." Put another way, "The first smeller's always the feller." I'm wondering who's panicing here?
An unusually defensive and pessimistic answer from the usually sunny Fev.

Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka

I agree that this is the crucial year for Weber and maybe the turning point (either direction) for the program. Its our last chance to capitalize on that 04/05 team and if we don't land Suggs, Shump, Hump, or Dunigan, I don't know how we will attract talent going forward.

The quote is actually "the lady doth protest too much, methinks." Its not quite the smeller/feller scenario, rather the Queen Gertrude in Hamlet is noting an actor's unnecessarily strong denial, suggesting she is hiding her true feelings. The whole irony is Hamlet is exposing his mother's hypocrisy. The modern equivalent would be if Fev asked me if I was panicking, and I replied: "HELL NO, we are doing great, I'm confident we will land top recruits any day now, you wait, any day now, I'm not the least bit worried, Weber's got 'em for sure."

Regardless, I am starting to panic and crap my shorts. If we don't land one of the above, I don't think falling back on Crittle or Verdell Jones will cut it.

The recruiting year that only landed Chester, Jamar and CJ is really coming back to haunt us.

Last edited: