IMPE Scrimmage...

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I was at IMPE last night doing my usual workout and noticed that a bunch of the Illini Players were shooting around together on the basketball courts. Turns out they were there to do sort of an exhibition scrimmage for the boys basketball camp. Thus, I got a chance to watch firsthand how the new guys play together.

Naturally, since it was somewhat sloppy, being summer and players not being in "season shape". I'm sure some rustiness and lack of defense, combined with most of the guys not having played much together had some impact, too. I was still able to get a few impressions, though:

1. DMac showed some very nice passing moves in the paint and impressed me the most. He showed excellent vision especially on a few bounce passes inside, a no look pass under the basket out to Tizzy for a layup, and a nice couple of ally oops. Had no trouble getting to the basket, either. Smooth midrange shot, too. From what little I saw, I'd say he's going to challenge Chet for minutes right away.

2. Cole definitely looks like his body is ready to play. If he puts on another ten pounds by the beginning of the season, he'll be golden. His shot wasn't falling much but he did have a block and a couple nice putbacks and layups. Good hands.

3. Tizzy from what I've heard has put on some weight, but he still looks rail thin. I happened to talk to a guy at the gym who went to high school with him and they work out at the same gym over the summer. He said he is quite weak physically (I'm sure having such long limbs hampers that a bit). He did show a nice shot during the scrimmage, though. I'd say only about 40% of shots were falling for him, though. He was decent with rebounding and had a couple good passes.

4. Q was all over the court. He's got good speed, that's for sure. Had a few athletic moves to the basket. I didn't get to see a whole lot of him, though.

5. Rod-A had a nice couple of dunks and got quite a few rebounds. He looks like he'll step in nicely. Also didn't get to see much, though, so I can't really say any more.

6. JJ was there playing point for one of the sides for a while. Showed some nice court vision on a few passes and had a couple of easy layups.

7. Carlwell had several blocked shots during the scrimmage, especially a nice on Cole under the basket. He was by far the biggest if not strongest guy on the floor. I hope he's back to full health by the beginning of the season!

8. Meach, Hicks, and Holdren played, too. Nothing special to report, though, except Meach seemed pretty comfortable running the point and did a nice with passing to open guys under the basket and kicking it out from under the basket.

Of course, Coach and his assistants were there barking out commands, etc. Randle was there but didn't play (obviously after his recent surgery). Didn't see any other players there.

These were my observations from an admittedly amateur/fan perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys pan out and play together once they have some actual playing time together.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
No prob.

I'm new on here but have been lurking for several months. I like this forum and look forward to contributing my thoughts.

Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka
I was at IMPE last night doing my usual workout and noticed that a bunch of the Illini Players were shooting around together on the basketball courts. Turns out they were there to do sort of an exhibition scrimmage for the boys basketball camp. Thus, I got a chance to watch firsthand how the new guys play together.

Naturally, since it was somewhat sloppy, being summer and players not being in "season shape". I'm sure some rustiness and lack of defense, combined with most of the guys not having played much together had some impact, too. I was still able to get a few impressions, though:

1. DMac showed some very nice passing moves in the paint and impressed me the most. He showed excellent vision especially on a few bounce passes inside, a no look pass under the basket out to Tizzy for a layup, and a nice couple of ally oops. Had no trouble getting to the basket, either. Smooth midrange shot, too. From what little I saw, I'd say he's going to challenge Chet for minutes right away.

2. Cole definitely looks like his body is ready to play. If he puts on another ten pounds by the beginning of the season, he'll be golden. His shot wasn't falling much but he did have a block and a couple nice putbacks and layups. Good hands.

3. Tizzy from what I've heard has put on some weight, but he still looks rail thin. I happened to talk to a guy at the gym who went to high school with him and they work out at the same gym over the summer. He said he is quite weak physically (I'm sure having such long limbs hampers that a bit). He did show a nice shot during the scrimmage, though. I'd say only about 40% of shots were falling for him, though. He was decent with rebounding and had a couple good passes.

4. Q was all over the court. He's got good speed, that's for sure. Had a few athletic moves to the basket. I didn't get to see a whole lot of him, though.

5. Rod-A had a nice couple of dunks and got quite a few rebounds. He looks like he'll step in nicely. Also didn't get to see much, though, so I can't really say any more.

6. JJ was there playing point for one of the sides for a while. Showed some nice court vision on a few passes and had a couple of easy layups.

7. Carlwell had several blocked shots during the scrimmage, especially a nice on Cole under the basket. He was by far the biggest if not strongest guy on the floor. I hope he's back to full health by the beginning of the season!

8. Meach, Hicks, and Holdren played, too. Nothing special to report, though, except Meach seemed pretty comfortable running the point and did a nice with passing to open guys under the basket and kicking it out from under the basket.

Of course, Coach and his assistants were there barking out commands, etc. Randle was there but didn't play (obviously after his recent surgery). Didn't see any other players there.

These were my observations from an admittedly amateur/fan perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys pan out and play together once they have some actual playing time together.

Keep up the surveillance.

Meach should look good. He's a senior this year playing with some guys who have never played a minute of college basketball. I always thought he was decent.

Did Rodney look like a beast? I've heard he's built like Powell.

Isn't Ubben a better facility than IMPE? From my times at U of I, IMPE was always a bit dated and fine for the students but the entire place needed a major overhaul. And if they were scrimmaging for a camp, don't they want to impress the possible recruits by having it in a state of the art facility?

Last edited:
Of all the gin joints...
Winnetka
No prob.

I'm new on here but have been lurking for several months. I like this forum and look forward to contributing my thoughts.

Nice to have you. Just don't try to sell a copy of the Illinois Arizona game. :)

Illini Foot Soldier
Good question. Isn't Ubben a better facility? And if they were scrimmaging for a camp, don't they want to impress the possible recruits by having it in a state of the art facility?
Isn't this the period when the players can't have contact with the coaches? Maybe that means that can't practice at Ubben either. Not sure though.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Isn't this the period when the players can't have contact with the coaches? Maybe that means that can't practice at Ubben either. Not sure though.
Bruce was standing about 30 feet away from the court the whole time (in the middle of the next court over). Bruce seemed to be interacting pretty much only with the kids and camp coaches, so maybe.

If they can't have contact with coaches, that's fine but does that mean they cannot use the facilities? From the photographs of Ubben, I think it looks way better than the courts at IMPE (at least from memory).

I thought IMPE was under reconstruction and closed except for the weight rooms. Apparently not. Always great to hear from someone who has seen things first hand.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I thought IMPE was under reconstruction and closed except for the weight rooms. Apparently not. Always great to hear from someone who has seen things first hand.
The entire east wing of IMPE is still open. That includes the weight room/cardio area, some small locker rooms, plus 4 basketball courts.

Great report. I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys play. Something just smells right about this class.

BS: Welcome to IL and thanks immensely for your IMPE report. It sure is GREAT to hear some real, first hand reporting, especially in the off-season doldrums.

GO ILLINI

Elizabethtown, KY
Isn't Ubben a better facility than IMPE? From my times at U of I, IMPE was always a bit dated and fine for the students but the entire place needed a major overhaul. And if they were scrimmaging for a camp, don't they want to impress the possible recruits by having it in a state of the art facility?
Not much room for spectators at Ubben. I would think Huff would be your second choice (to watch a scrimmage). You can hold the majority of the camp at the Armory (5 make-shift courts, or so), then walk across the street to Huff to watch the team scrimmage.

Last edited:
Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
did chet play? didn't see his name mentioned. sorry for all lower case typing. slated for hand surgery monday
Oops. I forgot about Chet. He did play a very little bit (probably because of the hand), but not enough for me to remember any specific plays. I think we have a pretty good idea of how he plays, anyway.