Indiana 73, Illinois 65 POSTGAME

Indiana shoots 27 fts the 2nd half; familiar. 4 to's to start 2nd half; all too familiar. Indiana shoots 50% in 2nd half, seen it before. I'll try again, were fouls legit or did Il get jobbed

I've been all the sky is falling lately myself, but I was pleasantly surprised with tonight's game. Ayo and Georgi played well. DeLa Rosa came in and was a decent back up center. Seemed like the defense in the first half of the first half, we weren't doing the mad go double everything and actually played some fairly decent defense. The switch to zone a few possessions was ok, but IU quickly found the gaps in it (not sure why we can't do the same). And although everyone is crapping on the offensive system, its simple and creates mismatches when its executed (and we make shots). It always seems to me when we take the screen at the elbow, and do the fan dribble to reverse direction, we actually turn our back to the post just at the time he is open.

But, we simply aren't long and athletic enough at enough positions...and that includes Trent Frazier who is my favorite player on the team, and Demonte, who is the son of my all time favorite illini. If we had 3 guys who were long and athletic, you could overcome their shortcomings. Justin Smith would look great in Orange and Blue...he'd be what we unfairly expect Kipper to be.

And for everyone pining for Finke...c'mon. I appreciate his desire to be an Illini as a legacy and am a fan of his, but he's averaging less than 10 Pts for GCU, is shooting 33% from 3, and doesn't have a block yet this year. If he was playing for the Illini we'd still be asking why aren't we seeing more Samba.

I can't disagree with the fact that we play a bit robotic at times...and Griffin needs to work on his handle. I'm hoping Underwood lets Tevian play and he makes us all wish he hadn't missed 8 games.....we shall see.

With what I posted above, it can't be understated how important Kofi could be to turning this whole thing around in a hurry!

To that end, I did like seeing Georgi at the 4 a little with Adonis at the 5. it's not as if Kofi was worried about having to battle Georgi for minutes, but exciting to see what it might look like.

Our defense was good at times but to [B said:
give up 35 free throws[/B] and our offense only get 12 free throws is tough to overcome.
We actually matched them in rebounds 29 - 29.

I'll grade the 35 free throw on a curve. I feel like IU get's more home town whistles than any program other than Duke.

The rebounding was a pleasant surprise. I think the difference was our offensive rebounding was much improved.

Very impressed by Illinois tonight. This style of D has given the Hoosiers fits all year. Problem was made worse since our starting PG wasn’t cleared to play as was expected. If every team was starting a Devonte Green you guys would have a much better record.

Illinois won the first 12 minutes and the last 8. Both teams need to learn a lesson about playing for 40 minutes.

I know a lot of you are down at the moment but as an outside fan I do see a foundation being built. Be patient we went thru a long rebuild under Crean and I never saw that under him.

I was happy to see the offense working through Giorgi a lot tonight, things move noticeably smoother with him getting touches. I also liked seeing him out there with Adonis. I hope we see some Giorgi + Kane time in the future.

Deleted member 236589

D
From a defensive standpoint...the last 3-4 minutes of the game should be the lesson from now on...the whole game at this pace or sit. Play the young legs, Griffin gets either some of Jordan some of Kippers of both mintues. Kane gets to play 5 with Giorgi up top, and Ayo plays 1 with Frazier off screens for quick 3's as he is the only one with a quick jumper to shoot.
Play the young legs? All of these guys are between 18-22. What 40 somethings is he going to bench.

This isn't one of Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams.

It is absolutely impossible to play "40 minutes of hell" unless you can go LEGITIMATELY 10 deep. Not just playing 10 guys, but get bonafide contributions from 10 guys. We can't get consistent contributions from more than three.

They try to play that style, but each and every game they get into foul trouble and wear down.

It's obvious what BU wants to do, he just doesn't have the horses to do it. Thus, we get the same ole losses, in the same ole fashion.

Recruit better, get deeper, see results.

Indiana shoots 27 fts the 2nd half; familiar. 4 to's to start 2nd half; all too familiar. Indiana shoots 50% in 2nd half, seen it before. I'll try again, were fouls legit or did Il get jobbed
I would say the fouls were legit. Not every call perfect, but a good game by the refs

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Very impressed by Illinois tonight. This style of D has given the Hoosiers fits all year. Problem was made worse since our starting PG wasn’t cleared to play as was expected. If every team was starting a Devonte Green you guys would have a much better record.

Illinois won the first 12 minutes and the last 8. Both teams need to learn a lesson about playing for 40 minutes.

I know a lot of you are down at the moment but as an outside fan I do see a foundation being built. Be patient we went thru a long rebuild under Crean and I never saw that under him.

Thanks BC. As much as I hate every fiber of your being because you’re a Loosier fan, I appreciate the kind words.

;)

Deleted member 633632

D
Notice that you haven't heard any negativity from the players. Only some of the parents are voicing their frustrations via social media. But the players are not showing it. They are tight lipped and they are a family! Our former coach use to make me laugh when he would talk about togetherness, but there's a whole lot of family vibezz beaming off our boys! They've been tested, from the coaching staff on down and it's building real grit, real unity, real toughness! True togetherness! Going to war for your brothers and always laying it all on the line for your family!! Just look at Ayo's quotes on Werner's story before the game... "That's my best friend" when referring to Trent. Forget what the blogs and social media sites are saying, this young man is doing his best to befriend someone he just met to the point of brotherhood, becauae he knows its what's best for the team and it will result in victories on the court in the future!!

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I agree with every stat you posted, but consider Frazier didn't have A game, along with Kipper, with early foul trouble, way too many turnovers and fouls resulting in ft points, we had a chance late on their home floor and did most when most throw it in, I love the fight, good games by Ayo , and GB also Aaron solid but wish a few more points, we're getting better but need to work in Tev and Kane sooner rather than later.

huh ? played no defense last night getting blown by on every player he guarded....
the 10 point Illini lead had me hopeful but getting outscored 40-15 from there allowed reality to sink in....we have yet to play a full 40 minutes to our potential, so another "tough loss " by a " young team " has us at 4-10 with few chances of a win in the near future....

Indiana set a school record defensive stat, holding opponents to 6 shot clock violations.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Gonna be a glass half full/half empty season. Team really looked like they fought til the end. Hopefully it's a sign that this team is not gonna quit. I think these guys will stick together. I dont believe coach has lost this team at all after last night. We are younger than most other teams and are missing pieces to the puzzle but still being competitive. I think the players can see that they are learning on the fly and its gonna be a steep climb. We get Samba and Jones back and we can pull off a couple feel good upsets throughout the rest of the season. Maybe take out a big dog in the B10 tourney to give these youngsters a lift of confidence going into the summer. Coach or the players will never use it as an excuse but the truth is we are just young and inexperienced. Our few upperclassmen aren't floor generals just role player quality guys. That will change in time. Go Illini

Here’s their shot selection. Dunk city. Need I say more? Worst defensive team in America. D6BB547A-86CD-45C9-9CE9-BD106849F4FD.jpeg

illini80

Forgottonia
IU shot 58.3 % on 2 pt shots. 21 of 36.
That’s what they do. Not a great 3 point shooting team, but very efficient at getting to the basket. Unlike us, they have the size and strength to get that done. IU was 2-12 from 3 or it wouldn’t have been close.

Georgi had a nice effort, but his 5 turnovers really hurt.

Actually one of the better ones so far...not so much "coach" speak...more seemingly honest/ clean answers. The team played better overall with a different gameplan, at least initially, they did better. The press conference reflects that imo.

"The pressure the Illini put on you is just so hard to replicate in practice. Nobody else in the country plays defense quite like a Brad Underwood team does. Our scout team was asked to do a lot this week. At one point we asked them to not guard anyone inside 15 ft just to duplicate that swarming Illini defense." - Archie Miller

"I don't know if you guys are stat people, but we just forced a great...not good...GREAT Indiana team to 15 turns. We had an EXCEPTIONAL week in practice...EXCEPTIONAL. We put in some stuff this week in practice too, so that was good...putting in some stuff is always hard but we did it. I asked a lot of the guys this week and beat them up pretty bad in practice...and I mean that, I literally beat them up this week I was so mad. So we asked Fletch to do a lot this week to get them game ready. Another thing I wanted to mention, and this is off the record and doesn't leave this room, but Giorgi B is an EXCEPTIONAL dancer...EXCEPTIONAL. " - Coach Brad Underwood

Play the young legs? All of these guys are between 18-22. What 40 somethings is he going to bench.

Meaning play the freshman....instill the offense, defense, pressure, attitude, expectations etc for the rest of the year with the likes of Griffin, Kane, Jones, Williams, etc as much as possible.

This team will be at best a 7-whatever team....work next year with the players that can contribute the most. We know what we can get out of a couple of upperclassman (old legs), this will not change now that we are into the B1G schedule. The youngest players led us last night, add to that with the other younger ones as we can. The older (upperclassman) need to be used to supplement, not implement our new culture/spirit or whatever you want to call is all.

"I don't know if you guys are stat people, but we just forced a great...not good...GREAT Indiana team to 15 turns.

I agree our team played much better team defense (except while in zone), however Indiana outside of Langford is not well equipped at the guard position, so when you have forwards/centers/backup guards handling against our pressure, we should get 15 or more.