Indiana 80, Illinois 74 POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weber's hurdles are on him and next year Groce will get judge on his production since the 2013 class will be juniors and should be capable of leading the team on their own.
Several of you seem to be more concerned with assigning blame than evaluating the strength of the program Weber and Groce were and are recruiting to.

Weber's early recruiting, when he was recruiting to a program flying high, was inexcusably awful. Completely agree. But his later recruiting was better, despite the fact that the program was in much worse shape.

I'm not talking about excuses. I'm talking about the reality of Weber's recruiting over his last 4 years or so. He wasn't recruiting off the success of the preceding coaches at that point, so was pretty much recruiting to a program very much where Groce found it.
As noted, 2012 was really a null class and while Hill was a good recruit, the fact that he stayed at UI makes you wonder whether he was an Illini recruit or a Weber recruit. But independent of that, when you go 2 complete classes with just Hill... his last 2 years were terrible IMO. If nothing else, Groce has avoided that.

But the bottom line is that the furthest you get away from success, the hardest it becomes. Harder in 2014 than 2009... we let the program slip too far and that was on Weber and Illini AD. JMO.

Several of you seem to be more concerned with assigning blame than evaluating the strength of the program Weber and Groce were and are recruiting to.

Weber's early recruiting, when he was recruiting to a program flying high, was inexcusably awful. Completely agree. But his later recruiting was better, despite the fact that the program was in much worse shape.
I think we sort of agree my thing is Weber had created a culture of losing and disappointment by then. If Weber would have had those classes from the beginning and learning from veterans who have been there especially from players who experience going to the Final Four, Weber would still be here.

Good call. Still extremely low compared to the last 15 years or so however.
Ethan Happ, Chasson Randle, Larry Austin, Van Vleet, KBD, Hill all depending on your definition of talent and downstate and your time horizon. Just throwing some names out there.

The amount of talent in Illinois as a whole during the past few years has been extraordinary though. You'd be hard pressed to find a better time than '13, '14 for Illinois HS basketball talent.

Apparently you missed the word "many", and think that guys who make it to the NBA are the norm.
I didn't miss it and no, I don't think NBA bound players are the college norm.

You must have missed that 21 of 25 players cited had bettered their three point shooting percentage after college, in spite of the fact that the arc is 1.25-3 feet farther away.

I also didn't miss that you prefer qualifiers like "many" rather than sources for your edicts.

I didn't miss it and no, I don't think NBA bound players are the college norm.

You must have missed that 21 of 25 players cited had bettered their three point shooting percentage after college, in spite of the fact that the arc is 1.25-3 feet farther away.

I also didn't miss that you prefer qualifiers like "many" rather than sources for your edicts.
21 of 25 NBA players. I'm talking about college players.

Yeah, I think starting:

PG: Tate
SG: Nunn
SF: Hill
PF: Black
C: Egwu

makes the most sense. Egwu had a really bad game, but unrealistic to expect not to start or get major mins.
That should be the starting 5.

Starks and Cosby fight to show the hot hand. Morgbret fight to show if they can sub Egwu.

That should be the starting 5.

Starks and Cosby fight to show the hot hand. Morgbret fight to show if they can sub Egwu.
I don't really care who starts. Nunn, Hill and Egwu have to play. After that, just see who is playing well and give them more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.