Iowa 19, Illinois 10 POSTGAME

1574540035551.png

No one really mentioned it during the game thread at the end. But sure hope Peters is okay, and for Jive Turkey saying Robinson would’ve done better, the point was already laughable but that last minute of the game shut the case pretty quick. We need Brandon back and wish him well, any hit to the head is dangerous

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Losing by 9 and holding Iowa to 19 in a game with a -2 turnover margin says two things to me:

1) We don't need a favorable turnover margin to be competitive against good teams
2) We should have every expectation of winning our bowl game.

Way too many turnovers by Peters, but the guys played hard until the end. The game was nothing like last year’s and that’s what makes happiest. Competitive and made Iowa earn it.

danielb927

Rochester, MN
Also hoping Peters is ok. I would be very surprised if he weren't in concussion protocol now as it looked to me like he may have been knocked out briefly on that hit. IMO if you knock a guy unconscious it should be targeting, end of story — yes, there will be one or two cases where it's the result of an offensive player making an unexpected move of some kind, but seems to me that "knocking a player out" would be pretty easily identifiable, easily enforced, and therefore (more importantly) consistent.

Last edited:
Losing by 9 and holding Iowa to 19 in a game with a -2 turnover margin says two things to me:

1) We don't need a favorable turnover margin to be competitive against good teams
2) We should have every expectation of winning our bowl game.
Let's beat Northwestern first but I agree. Our play calling on offense can be a bit bizarre. Our trick plays generally don't work. Either we can them or the next one is due.

This was fun. I felt the game was winnable even as our mistakes piled up.
If all you were told was the turnover margin and that this was played in Iowa, how many points would you think we lost by?
This team is improving, even when they have some uglies.

peters made a few nice plays, but his turnovers were not good for us today. that said, excited what he can do for us next year, i think there's some improvement there.

not really impressed by our O-line for the amount of starts it has - maybe the experts can yay/nay that for me, but it doesn't really pass the eye test.

that missed targeting was complete BS, and offset any favorable calls we might have got. personally feel like those favorable calls were just "let them play, this is football" type of stuff, which .... we haven't had in YEARS, so that's great, but again, **** that missed targeting. it should have been late hit, roughness, targeting, whatever.

matt robinson, i assume he's the backup b/c he makes smart decisions - game was already decided at this point, but how are you going to take sacks with no timeouts and a 9 point deficit? this is a nitpick, so whatever.

proud of the team, i think this was a good effort, esp on the defensive side. need to SMASH the mildcats next week and focus on improvement and recruiting (if this flood happens for '20, great, then let's get some early '21s) before the bowl game.

i'm loving life. this is so much better than it's been for years.

danielb927

Rochester, MN
L

Let's beat Northwestern first but I agree. Our play calling on offense can be a bit bizarre. Our trick plays generally don't work. Either we can them or the next one is due.

Great point!

Defense played well. Secondary was under attack all game and held there own, despite Peter's not getting pressure.

oops Stanley

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
It just feels nice to have a loss that doesn’t require 4 days of us discussing program-level downsides. “Keep Lovie? This looks like Josh’s swan song. Will people transfer? Welp, there goes recruiting momentum. Looking ahead we may not win another game.”

Yep, this sucked, but on to Northwestern tomorrow.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Was really impressed by the defense today. This game was winnable, but just too many turnovers and too many drops. Oh well. Good effort. Our guys play really hard.

Not impressed by our O line? What? We rushed for 192 and if the first half play calling were better it would have been 300.

Barely heard the name of AJ Espensa.
point taken in regards to rush yards, and the leading rusher was peters doing well for himself, but this is a season long observation for me. not sure how play calling is going to bring you from 192 to 300, that's >50% increase

i think a lot of the calls were to get the ball out quick - which is why we didn't hear MUCH from epenesa, this also limits what you can do