Iowa 19, Illinois 10 POSTGAME

Deleted member 645583

D
Couldn't watch the game; I was at an all-day conference. Don't got no smart phone.

To lose by only 9 at Ioway? Tells me Illini could've won this game. I'm disappointed, yes, but way to go team!

What a difference a year makes. 63-0, 19-10.

Hope Peters is all right; and rest of Illini are okay.

Now clobber NW! 7-5! That's very respectable. What a turnaround. I don't want no 6-6 record.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
Couldn't watch the game; I was at an all-day conference. Don't got no smart phone.

To lose by only 9 at Ioway? Tells me Illini could've won this game. I'm disappointed, yes, but way to go team!

What a difference a year makes. 63-0, 19-10.

Hope Peters is all right; and rest of Illini are okay.

Now clobber NW! 7-5! That's very respectable. What a turnaround. I don't want no 6-6 record.

Let's make it 8 - 5 and call it a year.

A lot of good things went on. Look forward to reading in depth about it from guys like Robert and the YouTube breakdown guy.

Illini payers are going to see that Peters garbage, 100% targeting hit on film and not be happy. There could be some bad blood with that next year when/if we play them

Am I wrong to think of it this way:

For five and a half games now, we can’t say “the offense lost us this game” or “the defense cost us a chance to win”. Yes... there were some weird decisions that happened this game, and maybe we were “lucky” against MSU, but we aren’t sitting here discussing and entire side of the team being completely outmatched. I loved watching this game from beginning to end. Not because I thought we could win (I did), but I KNEW we weren’t going to just get rolled over on.

We played well, and we looked good.

It was enjoyable watching Illinois in a loss. Who woulda thunk it a couple months ago.

We played a nice game. We had several opportunities that we didn't close out on, but they were there. We just didn't get many breaks that went our way. We were still in it until the end. Happy to see the progress. One missed catch, one missed tackle, one missed field goal, fewer plays missed due to injury, one of more of those going the other way and this game was ours..... Oh well, nothing to hang our heads about on this one. Onward!

Last edited:

IlliniRocketFan

Rochester, IL
How was that not targeting?
Targeting? Maybe 50/50 in my opinion. Bigger question is why no flag for roughing the passer or at least late hit. Crazy no call in any direction.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Bebe was off all game? He just did not seem like the same player from 2 weeks ago. I think the second Int was due to him being out of position and being forced out of bounds.

No matter what, I enjoyed watching this whole game and was impressed with the defense throughout. GO ILLINI!!!

Deleted member 533939

D
Targeting? Maybe 50/50 in my opinion. Bigger question is why no flag for roughing the passer or at least late hit. Crazy no call in any direction.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Bebe was off all game? He just did not seem like the same player from 2 weeks ago. I think the second Int was due to him being out of position and being forced out of bounds.

No matter what, I enjoyed watching this whole game and was impressed with the defense throughout. GO ILLINI!!!
The entire passing offense was off all game, not just Bebe. That INT was 100% on Peters, though, brutal decision.

The entire passing offense was off all game, not just Bebe. That INT was 100% on Peters, though, brutal decision.

Disagree - I think the execution was bad all around. To sell the flea flicker the RB had to hold on to the ball a little longer and sell the run. Clearly no DB was fooled there.

Generally a piss poor effort from the WR/TE crew. I don't know that I've ever seen a WR with the build of Reams, he looks like a FB/TE and rarely gets open. BheBhe drops too many routine catches. Barker had a huge drop as well. Justice Williams should have been able to make play on that one throw from Peters in the end zone. Navarro had a big drop on that end of 1st half drive that put us into the 4th down situation that coaching staff bungled. Griffin Palmer on that throw back - slowest upfield run I've seen in some time.

Surprised Sandy / Trenard Davis couldn't get tick this year. T Davis showed pretty good hands last year and had a knack for getting open.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
How was that not targeting?

remembering the targeting calls on us this year, that hit on Peters was worse than all our targeting calls combined...You have a QB having released the football and taking 3-4 steps afterward getting hit in the jaw by the idiot defender and having to leave the game was embarrassing to the officials and I'm wondering what kind of weed or booze the replay official was on to not make that call...

it was such an obvious infraction the B1G dept of officials should issue a reprimand against all officials involved and issue an apology to peters and the Illini team for missing such a blatant foul

If i here one more time about how the big ten conference and the NCAA cares about the players health i am going to throw up, i watched the hit at least 25 times and can say that people in every game across the country are thrown out for far less

remembering the targeting calls on us this year, that hit on Peters was worse than all our targeting calls combined...You have a QB having released the football and taking 3-4 steps afterward getting hit in the jaw by the idiot defender and having to leave the game was embarrassing to the officials and I'm wondering what kind of weed or booze the replay official was on to not make that call...

it was such an obvious infraction the B1G dept of officials should issue a reprimand against all officials involved and issue an apology to peters and the Illini team for missing such a blatant foul

Agreed. Don’t they especially try to protect the QB? That guy chose to go high, unlike Green and others who have been tossed for plays where they really couldn’t change where they were hitting so late in the motion.

Deleted member 654622

D
Like most, I was satisfied by looking like a competitive B1G team. Really impressed with how we stopped the run. But my big takeaways have got to be
1. All the talk about Behbey leaving early for the NFL should stop. Physically he has all the tools but he drops way to many balls. And I don't think he has the game experience just yet to "take a game over". Gonna be a great thing to have him back next year
2. We gotta get some pass rush from our D line. A lot of young talent on that roster, and going to have Wole again next year. Coach Clark better show his worth and get those dudes producing. Every QB we play is allowed to just sit in the pocket. A pass rush takes us to a whole new level defensively!
3. I LOVE the way the defense is trying to lay a hurting on the ball carrier! Physicality with Attitude. Especiallly Witherspoon. That dude looks like he is going to be a hell of a player

Last edited by a moderator:

somebody on Reddit was saying that rule is that if it is questionable, it should be called targeting. The ncaa has tried to take out any and all gray area with that rule.

I noticed that Ferentz didn't run his usual fake punt against the Illini. However, why did he try to score an extra touchdown against us with about two minutes left in the game rather than take an easy field goal? Was he just being a jerk, or was he trying to beat the spread?

APS iMBA

Urbana, IL
I noticed that Ferentz didn't run his usual fake punt against the Illini. However, why did he try to score an extra touchdown against us with about two minutes left in the game rather than take an easy field goal? Was he just being a jerk, or was he trying to beat the spread?
Given last years's 63-0 score, I think the guy's just a jerk. I'd use more colorful language, but I like being on this board.

somebody on Reddit was saying that rule is that if it is questionable, it should be called targeting. The ncaa has tried to take out any and all gray area with that rule.
Yeah Reddit is where I go for a breakdown on rules. /s

Yeah Reddit is where I go for a breakdown on rules. /s

Maybe you should.

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

• No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Maybe you should.

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

• No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul.

i thought it was with the crown of the helmet, which this play was too. Some say he let up? BS, he still made significant contact to Peters head, so much so that Peters had to be helped off the field. Besides the letter from the BIG, is there any way the iowa player can be suspended their next game?

Re targeting: I saw some Iowa fan saying that Stone (who hit Peters) had stepped away from Peters and Peters stepped into Stone's path. Right. If you look at slomo of the collision or specifically a still at the moment of contact, so can see that Stone's left foot is planted and his helmet is tilted to the right and his right shoulder is raised, helmet and shoulder hitting Peters and spinning him around.

Then after the targeting is waived, Stone is out there pumping up the crowd to cheer while Peters is leaving the field to go not into the tent but into the locker room. And worse, the crowd obliges him. Hey, my wife has Iowa relatives--her mother's whole side of the family--and I'm definitely glad they're Iowa State. That's the worst display of sportsmanship I think I've ever seen.

Deleted member 533939

D
Disagree - I think the execution was bad all around. To sell the flea flicker the RB had to hold on to the ball a little longer and sell the run. Clearly no DB was fooled there.

Generally a piss poor effort from the WR/TE crew. I don't know that I've ever seen a WR with the build of Reams, he looks like a FB/TE and rarely gets open. BheBhe drops too many routine catches. Barker had a huge drop as well. Justice Williams should have been able to make play on that one throw from Peters in the end zone. Navarro had a big drop on that end of 1st half drive that put us into the 4th down situation that coaching staff bungled. Griffin Palmer on that throw back - slowest upfield run I've seen in some time.

Surprised Sandy / Trenard Davis couldn't get tick this year. T Davis showed pretty good hands last year and had a knack for getting open.
LOL so you're blaming the RB for not selling the flea flicker? The QB inexplicably threw the ball.

Did anyone have as many yards running against Iowa this year, as we did. That's the thousand dollar question. Could some computer person look that up? Now we will have some relevant information to talk about. Facts, just give me the facts. Dragnet TV show, 1970's.

Wisconsin. By a little over 100 yards.

If our passing offense would have just clicked a little better this game, we would have won. And honestly, by possibly a couple touchdowns. But, "ifs" don't count.

Football is a very cyclical game. Two weeks after extensive analysis, I really felt our coaching staff let the kids down and the young men simply willed themselves to victory with some wild backyard ball. This week, I feel the opposite. I felt the staff called a fantastic game all around, the kids just didn't quite have it in them to make the plays.

Obviously, the end of the first half was a debacle and it ended in a 3 point swing. That's devastating in a game this tight. Outside of that, I didn't have many complaints. The flea flicker would not have been my ideal call for that down and distance and I hate these rubs screens Rod keeps calling (We've yet to execute one successfully. At some point, we need call it a day) but these are minor issues that we can nitpick in every contest. I thought our gameplan was fantastic, thought the playcalling was solid, we just didn't make the plays. 6-7 dropped passes by my count, a couple at very crucial times. Josh had what, 3 himself (2 for guaranteed 1st downs)? Rod calls a nice easy design for Brandon to pick up a 1st down (Which he did) and the ball pops out. Dele has Terry Bradshaw dead to rights and he can't wrap him up. That was a 50 yard swing that ended in 3 points for them. James missed a 50 yarder. Dele finishes that play and James makes that kick, it's a 3 point game. The kids just didn't quite makes the plays Saturday against a team that is built to play that type of game. Hard to swallow but it does happen. Hopefully this Saturday we make them.

One thing that did not go well was pressuring the QB. We have got to find a pass rush.

Last edited: