Iowa 63, Illinois 0 POSTGAME

F this. I’m off the Lovie train. Problem is that no one can fix this. Not Tepper, not Turner, not Zook, not Beckman, not Lovie, not Gunther, not Thomas, not Whitman. I honestly feel bad we are wasting the time and money on this program. It could be used elsewhere usefully.

For about the last 3 to 4 years I never watch, just tape and delete if we lose. So done that a lot. Too painful to watch. Every time I think we hit bottom, we find a new depth. That said, firing Lovie is not the solution. It would feel good but just temporarily. Stay the course and give him 5 years. Let my stoning begin.

Defensive genius! Just retire already. Was at the game and lasted til halftime. No fire at all on the sideline. Sad state of affairs.

One would have to either forget about the money and save the program, truly, or not.

Hazell got 4 years at Purdue. Beatty almost 4 at Kansas. Wilson 5 years at Indiana. O course all those ultimately failed

Mike MacIntire has been a pseudo success at Colorado after 3 weak seasons, so theres that

Deleted member 569417

D
Points allowed to Big Ten Opponents not named Rutgers

Good for 52.7 points per game

If Illinois allows 29 points vs Northwestern, 2018 will go down as the worst scoring defense in the history of the program.

Deleted member 746094

D
For all of those people that think Lovie’s buyout is preventing him from getting fired, why? Louisville just canned Petrino and they owe much more than we do in addition to Petrino’s buyout from the basketball debacle.

It is about putting the football program in the best position to be successful now and in the future. It can get worse, undoubtedly, and will under Lovie. If JW is as intelligent as he comes off and as good of a salesman as he appears to be; he can run back to the same boosters, apologize, and a$k for another chance to get it right. These people don’t like to be embarrassed, especially knowing their millions are being spent on a coach/staff that can’t get the kids to at least give maximum effort for 60 minutes.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Hazell got 4 years at Purdue. Beatty almost 4 at Kansas. Wilson 5 years at Indiana. O course all those ultimately failed

Mike MacIntire has been a pseudo success at Colorado after 3 weak seasons, so theres that
MacIntyre's predecessor, Jon Embree, was sacked after 2 years for performance similar to what Lovie is bringing.

For all of those people that think Lovie’s buyout is preventing him from getting fired, why? Louisville just canned Petrino and they owe much more than we do in addition to Petrino’s buyout from the basketball debacle.

It is about putting the football program in the best position to be successful now and in the future. It can get worse, undoubtedly, and will under Lovie. If JW is as intelligent as he comes off and as good of a salesman as he appears to be; he can run back to the same boosters, apologize, and a$k for another chance to get it right. These people don’t like to be embarrassed, especially knowing their millions are being spent on a coach/staff that can’t get the kids to at least give maximum effort for 60 minutes.

I don't think it is the buyout, it is a commitment to what you believed would fix this. As horrific as this game was, the offense has improved substantially and will be largely intact next year. The defense has been abhorrent but almost by default must be better next year and you have the start of a pretty strong recruiting class.

Lovie's guys are just in their 2nd year and you gotta let them mature.

Deleted member 746094

D
I don't think it is the buyout, it is a commitment to what you believed would fix this. As horrific as this game was, the offense has improved substantially and will be largely intact next year. The defense has been abhorrent but almost by default must be better next year and you have the start of a pretty strong recruiting class.

We have given up 52+ ppg this year in the B10. That has nothing to do with maturity. That is lack of ability and poor coaching. If we were giving up 30ppg I would understand the youth movement as a valid reason. There are freshman and sophomores all over the country that are playing at this level and performing at a high level. We just got shut out in the 12th week of the season. Substantial improvement on offense? Football is a game of consistent effort and execution. We lacked execution all year and today our effort disappeared.

If JW thought this is where we would be at this point in Lovie’s tenure he isn’t the right guy to lead our athletic department.

I think you need to find a transfer qb to compete with Isaiah unless you think one of the other guys can play next year. Even if you go with Isaiah, can he hold up for a full season? Seems like our skill guys get injured every year. Lovie should either resign or be very forthcoming about why we are not competitive this year and how its going to change. I expect he will do neither.

My daughter was in MI during the Becks Era, and I didn't miss a home game. I have been firmly in the Lovie Camp since day one. I wanted so much, and believed that he would move the needle forward. I can no longer say that I have any hope or belief that he can do it. I really never believed that things could get worse than when Becks was here. However, it really seems as if we have hit rock bottom, and begin to dig.

The historically bad defense is really troubling. Lovie is squarely responsible. His DC hire is really crucial to a turn around

We have given up 52+ ppg this year in the B10. That has nothing to do with maturity. That is lack of ability and poor coaching. If we were giving up 30ppg I would understand the youth movement as a valid reason. There are freshman and sophomores all over the country that are playing at this level and performing at a high level. We just got shut out in the 12th week of the season. Substantial improvement on offense? Football is a game of consistent effort and execution. We lacked execution all year and today our effort disappeared.

If JW thought this is where we would be at this point in Lovie’s tenure he isn’t the right guy to lead our athletic department.

The giving up today is terribly concerning, I agree.

Yes the offense took a considerable step forward this season and was facing a very good D today without several key weapons. I expect next year if Smith stays they will be a very good unit

Defense is a different story. It has been an unmitigated disaster and thats squarely on Lovie. I don't think they mature another year and turn into a top 50 defense. They really don't need to for us to go bowling next year. We have won 4 games with a historically bad D. If they improve slightly and the O continues it's ascent then there is a substantial likelihood we will win at least 6 with our schedule.

I don't think Whitman is going to start over with a roster full of upperclassmen, a soft schedule and a good recruiting class emerging

the national

the Front Range
The giving up today is terribly concerning, I agree.

Yes the offense took a considerable step forward this season and was facing a very good D today without several key weapons. I expect next year if Smith stays they will be a very good unit

Defense is a different story. It has been an unmitigated disaster and thats squarely on Lovie. I don't think they mature another year and turn into a top 50 defense. They really don't need to for us to go bowling next year. We have won 4 games with a historically bad D. If they improve slightly and the O continues it's ascent then there is a substantial likelihood we will win at least 6 with our schedule.

I don't think Whitman is going to start over with a roster full of upperclassmen, a soft schedule and a good recruiting class emerging
Your probably right but I don’t like it. I absolutely hate getting embarrassed like this, especially to Iowa. It’s the worst...worst sports related feeling I can think of.

Deleted member 569417

D

Worked out wonderfully when he made the same call with Groce for that 5th year...

Your probably right but I don’t like it. I absolutely hate getting embarrassed like this, especially to Iowa. It’s the worst...worst sports related feeling I can think of.

Not sure I like it either and I have run out of adjectives for how ridiculous today was.

I'm trying to look at it like Whitman would rather than a fan but he has to be concerned with a team giving up on their coach on senior day. These guys are supposed to be young, hungry but overmatched. Today they absolutely quit. As soon as Bonner fumbled, they submitted. Cannot have that