Iowa 63, Illinois 0 POSTGAME

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Hazell got 4 years at Purdue. Beatty almost 4 at Kansas. Wilson 5 years at Indiana. O course all those ultimately failed

Mike MacIntire has been a pseudo success at Colorado after 3 weak seasons, so theres that
Side note: sounds like MacIntyre is getting the ax. Lost their 6th straight today and had a bad year last year.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
63-0. To a middling Iowa team with nothing to play for, who coughed up a complete hairball of a performance last week against NU when they did. I just don't get it.

Homecoming and Senior Day aggregate score: 109-7, not us.

Deleted member 649710

D
Worst loss and worst defense in the 100+ year history of the program just can’t happen in Year 3 of a regime. Recognize that this is a failure and try again.

Lovie did not seem willing to accept that they are doing anything wrong...reached for the injury excuse... I still don't see how you can possibly put such an incompetent defense out there each week. Injuries contributed..could accept that if you lost 28 to 3.

Points allowed to Big Ten Opponents not named Rutgers

Good for 52.7 points per game

If Illinois allows 29 points vs Northwestern, 2018 will go down as the worst scoring defense in the history of the program.

Another record - attendance. We averaged 36,151 paid attendance this year. You have to go back to 1945 to find a worse season.

The Big Ten network money is obscene. I suspect there is money to make the change if needed. Ya gotta have a better option though.

Just out of curiosity who was the last coach, or has there ever been a coach that resigned and said I am just not up to the task, my heart is not in it.
There was that guy in D3 who called timeout and walked off into the sunset. Is that the type of thing you meant? Sounds like a blessing right now

I started being an Illini fan when Bob Blackman was the coach and Kurt Steger was the QB. I recall some serious beatdowns over the years. There was the time in Ann Arbor where Bo put 70 points on Mike White’s team. And a few years later when Nebraska came to Champaign and romped. I think that was the same season that Chuck Long’s Iowa team beat Illinois 59-0. And I remember the time that Penn State crushed us in a night game, and thankfully JoePa held the score down in the 2nd half. But in all those games, the opponent was very good. I don’t think today’s Iowa team is that good. That’s what makes today’s defeat so disheartening for me. I would not want to be in Mr. Whitman’s shoes right now. His only real option, it seems to me, is to stay the course for now.

joncoker22

Rockford, IL
I just hope we have a good showing against Northwestern and then somehow keep Williams and Beason from decommiting... That is a tall order

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Can anyone please get some actual feedback from Lovie on what he thought the team's plan was coming into today? What did they see on film and how did they practice that had them feel like they were the least bit prepared on either side of the ball? Did he feel like they were prepared? That's kind of a lose-lose question, but either way, this was complete and utter failure that cannot be explained away.

Usually, I can at least laugh it off or have some ability to justify the losses with rationale, but today has me completely embarrassed to be an Illinois football fan without much ability to defend anything about the program or its direction.

While I have a sliver of hope for the future with Williams and Beason coming in, what core is there to build around? Will they even decide to stay committed? I thought the idea was playing all the freshman last year and this year so that Year 4 would be the turnaround, but the overwhelming majority of the team has either not improved, gotten worse, or isn't trying anymore at the end of Year 3. Not sure how Lovie sits down with Whitman after this game and has any justification for what's going on. Complete and utter failure today.

Can't remove Lovie for several reasons, but need to make some decisive changes and overhaul the vision. It's not working as is.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
It sucks, but team is still awfully young with a lot of key players hurt. We are playing boys against men and it shows.
There are no "buts" in 63-0. This was out-coached, out-schemed, out-scouted, out-hustled, out-performed, out-willed, out-manned, and routed at home on Senior Day. It's boys against men in every aspect of the situation right now from the top down, and this team didn't show any fire or desire to fight for each other or for the Illinois on their jerseys. That's the most concerning thing. Iowa is a mid-tier B1G team; this wasn't Michigan.

sacraig

The desert
At this point, I choose to look on the bright side of things: at least I will be more productive on Saturdays since I won't feel obligated to watch our "football" "team".

Deleted member 569417

D
Whitman didn't hire Groce and the UofI did not owe him 10M if he was fired.
And that was not the point. The point responding to someone saying Whitman was sticking with a coach due to upperclassmen, schedule , and some fantasy of a recruiting class.

Neidermeyer

Faber College
I watched the first half live and watched the second on DVR. I forced myself to watch it. The whole thing. I made myself watch it fully knowing what was going to happen. I'm sad and despondent. How bad is it when you see your opponent laughing at you? Or slapping you on the back like a little brother? I like Lovie but not sure he's the answer at this point.

And that was not the point. The point responding to someone saying Whitman was sticking with a coach due to upperclassmen, schedule , and some fantasy of a recruiting class.

Groce wasn't hired to rebuild the program for scratch like Lovie was. The supposed debate at the time which I think you are alluding to is whether Groce should be kept on the basis of his perceived strong recruiting class. That is not what is being suggested here. The suggestion is that Whitman hired Lovie to do a rebuild and after year 3 one of the very important considerations has to be what direction is the recruiting going. The class to this point isn't a fantasy and is shaping up to be Lovie's strongest yet. I'm sure that if it continues Whitman will take that into consideration of how the rebuild is going

The state of the our football program
Illini Outhouse.jpg

At least we're gonna have a new practice facility! :ROFLMAO:

We should just scrap football and give those scholarships to other sports. Maybe re-form the men's swim team or something. Enough with this :poop:

There are no "buts" in 63-0. This was out-coached, out-schemed, out-scouted, out-hustled, out-performed, out-willed, out-manned, and routed at home on Senior Day. It's boys against men in every aspect of the situation right now from the top down, and this team didn't show any fire or desire to fight for each other or for the Illinois on their jerseys. That's the most concerning thing. Iowa is a mid-tier B1G team; this wasn't Michigan.

The inept coaching on tackling alone is enough to move in from this staff. Teaching this “stand and strip” nonsense as opposed to sound fundamental tackling is mind-numbingly stupid. How many times do we need to see guys break off long runs in traffic before the staff realizes what they are doing is just horrible scheming?