Iowa 72, Illinois 65 POSTGAME

sacraig

The desert
I don't know why I see so much complaining about home cooking. I honestly thought this game was reasonably well officiated. The real key is that Giorgi and Kofi simply aren't as good as Luka at this point in their careers and couldn't reliably slow him down past the first portion of the first half and the couldn't really score against him.

I do think we likely win that game at home. It was kind of a toss up.

Xfactr

Lake Forest, IL
Great bulletin board material for the rematch at Chambana. Every time Garza gets the ball get in his head. I’m sure the Orange Krush will be ready for that to come.

We have a tough stretch of games ahead. I’m excited to see the next few games!

Someone needs to buy Garza a hair trimmer, the dude looks like Lurch. can't wait to get revenge in Champaign. lots of squawking after every shot by the Squawks. ayo was nonexistent in the 2nd half

I put this loss squarely on Giorgi. Can't make that stupid !!! lackadaisical pass at that point of the game. All we had to is hold on to the ball. At worst take a 2 point lead down the stretch. But no, he handed Iowa the tie. I wish Brad would have kept him out the rest of the game as punishment.

That pass changed the whole momentum, sometime Giorgi looks unfocused on the court.

I don't know why I see so much complaining about home cooking. I honestly thought this game was reasonably well officiated. The real key is that Giorgi and Kofi simply aren't as good as Luka at this point in their careers and couldn't reliably slow him down past the first portion of the first half and the couldn't really score against him.

I do think we likely win that game at home. It was kind of a toss up.
Watch the game again and watch kipper have great position 3 times and get called for the foul... They cleaned it up a little bit but by no means was it an even called game. Not blaming this on the refs, but Garza walks on water in the big ten.

That pass changed the whole momentum, sometime Giorgi looks unfocused on the court.
It was a great heads-up play by the Iowa defender. Iowa pressures constantly. You can't rest for a second against that pressure. We had a few times we rested when we should have been awake.

I have no problem with the dunk. He was 1 on 0 and we couldn’t figure out if we were fouling or conceding. We sent like 3 guys at the ball.

The majority of coaches teach their guys to dribble out the clock. If it were the other way around and Giorgi would have dunked that ball, BU would have ripped him a new one.

I don't interact with iowa fans nor am I near an abundance of them in my current locale. I was always confused as to why some of our fanbase had such a distaste for iowa. I get it. I totally get it.
Go back 30 years and understand it even more. There's a liar head coach at Auburn that fake-newsed his way into getting Illinois on NCAA probation. Destroyed the last few years of Lou Henson's career.

t7nich

Central IL
Garza is a beast. Plain and simple. He’s going to get his. Only hope is to outscore them. I feel like if Da’Monte or Kip has any semblance of a 3 point shot this is a game we probably win. Definitely would have helped break that zone.
Want to give credit to Kip today though. Thought he played pretty well, and got screwed by the refs a couple times.

audie

The Great Northwest
Cripes. We are whining about the dunk and the refs?? Be better and win the game or shut up. We had our chances.

We played really tough and it was a physical and emotional game. Really proud of our effort in a really difficult environment. We just didn’t make the plays at the end and they did.
Well said. i agree wholeheartedly. I L L . . .
On to Maryland

As a lifelong Illini fan currently stuck in Nebraska, Iowa and it's fans are hot garbage. I am driving 7 hours on March 8th to the Iowa game for the revenge game.
Silver lining for today - we're still in first place and they aren't, so Garza can pin that in his unibrow and enjoy it.

BillyBob1

Champaign
After showing his dad, you know where he gets hi
Someone needs to buy Garza a hair trimmer, the dude looks like Lurch. can't wait to get revenge in Champaign. lots of squawking after every shot by the Squawks. ayo was nonexistent in the 2nd half
s good looks.

illini80

Forgottonia
Iowa shot 50% for the game and 43.5 from 3. IL 41.4% for the game and 36.4 from 3. Youre not going to win @ anywhere with those percentages. It’s fine. Iowa is good. We didn’t play our best. On to the next.

The majority of coaches teach their guys to dribble out the clock. If it were the other way around and Giorgi would have dunked that ball, BU would have ripped him a new one.
we have been unguarded the last 10 and have dribbled it out. we strive to have class

Oh I totally get that story. I
Go back 30 years and understand it even more. There's a liar head coach at Auburn that fake-newsed his way into getting Illinois on NCAA probation. Destroyed the last few years of Lou Henson's career.

Oh i definitely understand that history. I just took it as a one off poor moraled coach.

I didnt realize the fanbase, players, and even coaches had such a propensity for douchery.

yes but we were not in clear concession mode. if we were we should have run back, let them clear half court and apply token pressure while they dribble it out. We sent guys at the ball like we were gonna foul. They got it out and threw it deep. If the defense keeps playing it’s ok for the offense to keep playing too.

Frazier and Ayo did not show up today for some reason. Maybe the defense keyed on them specifically. Feliz they let play to get his. Feliz. Just Feliz.
Trent had 12 points and chased the defense around all game.. ayo had 11 points, but Iowa took him out of the game with the zone...

Frazier and Ayo did not show up today for some reason. Maybe the defense keyed on them specifically. Feliz they let play to get his. Feliz. Just Feliz.

I actually think Ayo got hurt about 1/2 way through the Minnesota game. After a layup he flew out of
Bounds and fell into a cameraman I believe. After that he was stiffer and was short on free throws like he messed up his back or shoulder. Was wearing tape today. Was also short again on free throws which is uncharacteristic. Don’t believe he’s currently 100%. Hopefully he can heal up before Friday.

Deleted member 4960

D
I think that will put an end to the lazy backcourt passes from Giorgi. Remember last year when he used to slam the inbounds passes into the court and the guard had to wait for it to come back down? I thought for sure one of those was going to be turned over. He's been better this year, but that one today really hurt. Still, like our chances going forward.
He made a bad pass and yes it was at the most in opportune time. But we missed front ends of ft’s, Kofi couldn’t catch a pass all game how he ended up with only 3 to’s I don’t know. 3 to’s by stepping out of bounds. Missed open 3’s Kofi &!others let Garza shoot open 3’s