Iowa 72, Illinois 65 POSTGAME

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'll just say this, before we let it slip away at the very end...there was a stretch (that included Dre's nails) after which I thought to myself "this is the toughest Illinois team I've ever watched".

BU wasn't lying when he talked about recruiting winners. These kids are pure iron.

The fact that these guys are so tough on the road really bodes well for the postseason. Looking forward to see what they can do in March (and April).

Spirited game tough loss. Wrong person shooting 3s at the end. gb played like he had the flu. Kofi needs to strengthen his hands, work on post moves and develop a short game shot. Feliz will be missed. We cannot let this game linger but look to win the next one Go Illini.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Dre grabs that rebound and gets the bucket to put is up 59-55 and the Carver crowd was about dead. During the timeout after, the ILL-INI chat gets going and takes over that building for a second. Hawk fans were not having it. Completely changed the energy in the building and when the game got going again the place was rocking. Our bad plays cost us the game, but it honestly felt like momentum flipped on us during the break.

Need a short memory and on to the next game. This is one we were supposed to lose. Just keep getting better. Thought it would be our toughest game and hope it was. Defend home court and we are fine.

Just watched BU's post-game presser. Rock star. So happy he's ours. Probably his best yet and sincere with his love of his guys. You can just tell he's in a good place and appreciates being a Fighting Illini.

I was around him at a big ten tourney game several years back, he is a hard guy to like even if you root for the team he is coaching
I was at BTT about 10? years ago. Most Fran sentences included at least one F Bomb. I was maybe 15 feet away when he walked up near the scorers table. Only coaches can make many million per year and talk like that while doing their jobs.

No
Just watched BU's post-game presser. Rock star. So happy he's ours. Probably his best yet and sincere with his love of his guys. You can just tell he's in a good place and appreciates being a Fighting Illini.

No question on Underwood interview. Kipper Nichols amazing post game interview. Kid was so well spoken and thought out, really made me appreciate how much he brings to the team. He is playing his role really well.

I don't interact with iowa fans nor am I near an abundance of them in my current locale. I was always confused as to why some of our fanbase had such a distaste for iowa. I get it. I totally get it.

Been bad blood for a long long time. Us old timers remember that the Illini and Iowa didn't play each other in football from 1952 to 1967 because neither could stand each other and it spilled over onto the field. Add in satan as a Hawkeye assistant basketball coach and they are d-bags in both major sports.

Hard fought game by both teams. We haven't had a physically and mentally tough team like this in over 15 years. Garza was the first big this year to be Kofi's equal in size and strength. Not even Oturu could match Kofi in pure strength.

Our guys had to play some of the best D to kerp the game close and had a chance to win with 4 monutes left. Tip yoyr hat to both teams and we will get them back in Champaign.

the unwritten rule for basketball is you don’t do it if there’s clear conceding. Again, we sent multiple guys at the ball. If the defense is gonna play hard, the offense can too.
Well, when we were sending multiple guys it was down 8 with 15 seconds left. With a steal, we have a very small chance of winning. Once they actually get the ball in bounds then our chances essentially evaporate.

So once they successfully inbounded the ball, the typical thing to do in that instance is to dribble it out. Very clearly, we wouldn't have fouled. Sending them to the line would not have given us any chance to win.

As classless as they are, the Tom Davis teams were much worse.

wasnt just the lazy passes and missed bunnies . It was the pathetic defense he played on Garza. Im ready to see a bit more of Kipper. Im liken his fight

You are ready for more Kipper than Giorgi based on this game....hmmm, says alot I believe

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I noticed when both GB and Kip were in the game, Kip was on Garza and Giorgi on Kriener (I dont care enough to look up how to spell his name). Says a lot about BUs trust in Kip right now.

We lost this game by not getting the ball to the middle of the zone and inside to our bigs. We needed to get Garza in foul trouble and we settled for jumpers instead. We got it to the middle a few times and hit a few cutters nicely, (also a couple of good baseline drives), but not nearly enough. I'm hoping we get our zone offense tuned up for our next meeting.

This game was winnable. Lost due to turnovers and the inability to stop their 3 point shooting. The missed front ends of 1 and 1s didn't help. Kind of fell apart at the end but played them tough otherwise. Doesn't hurt us but would have been sweet to have sole possession of first. :noidea:

I'll preface this by saying I love Kofi's game. I'm super glad he is an illini.

BUT, as of now, that dude has hands like frying pans. You'd swear the ball was greased up when they feed it to him or when he is in traffic attempting a post move.

They will work on it and it will get corrected but it is a glaring weakness.

I noticed when both GB and Kip were in the game, Kip was on Garza and Giorgi on Kriener (I dont care enough to look up how to spell his name). Says a lot about BUs trust in Kip right now.

Hope the condescending big mouths on this board that questioned putting Kipper on Garza noticed.

I'll preface this by saying I love Kofi's game. I'm super glad he is an illini.

BUT, as of now, that dude has hands like frying pans. You'd swear the ball was greased up when they feed it to him or when he is in traffic attempting a post move.

They will work on it and it will get corrected but it is a glaring weakness.
He was getting hammered every time the ball came inside. Deflections and double teamed hammering at the ball. Iowa had a plan and executed it. Coach may be a dick but a smart coach.

Interesting point on Illiniboard. Both Ayo and DMW removed for rest of first half with two fouls very early. Ayo with 8 minutes, DMW with 15? Both ended with two fouls. There is a stat for this that puts Illinois as an outlier (345 out of 353) in playing guys with two fouls in first half. In this game, I don't think it was significant in that we got out of the first half in good shape and Ayo was mostly bottled up by the zone. Something to watch...in an up and down game or in a game we are falling behind with Ayo on bench..hope Underwood is not afraid to roll the dice a bit.

Interesting point on Illiniboard. Both Ayo and DMW removed for rest of first half with two fouls very early. Ayo with 8 minutes, DMW with 15? Both ended with two fouls. There is a stat for this that puts Illinois as an outlier (345 out of 353) in playing guys with two fouls in first half. In this game, I don't think it was significant in that we got out of the first half in good shape and Ayo was mostly bottled up by the zone. Something to watch...in an up and down game or in a game we are falling behind with Ayo on bench..hope Underwood is not afraid to roll the dice a bit.
Might have made a difference with assists. We lost that stat 12/19 and Ayo has been great in getting ball to Kofi. Really wonder if we are going to see more zone based on this game.

He was getting hammered every time the ball came inside. Deflections and double teamed hammering at the ball. Iowa had a plan and executed it. Coach may be a dick but a smart coach.

Kofi still had looks, but as in past games didn't convert the ones he should have imo. Remember he is 3/4 years in playing ball, he hasn't established the dominant Shaq like dunk and being uber aggressive at all times. This will come in year 2/3 of ILLINI ball imo with OA teaching him, you can/need/will overpower, just do this, this, this to get there. When this happens, watch out, with his size and alot of the other good bigs in the league moving on, he will dominate for us for sure. His growth will be a joy to watch.

And yes their coach is a private eye...