Iowa 72, Illinois 65 POSTGAME

Agree. Unless a player is prone to fouling let em play with 2. So many games these players don't approach 5 fouls and they lose time out there
very few coaches go with this philosophy but I think it's sound. It would be a good analysis to see how it's played out.

Postgame BU said that losing DMW really killed our game plan. perhaps we should have just kept him out there. I also wonder how refs react. Would they cut DMW a bit of slack?

illini80

Forgottonia
When you've only made 54 three's in B!G play (14th in B1G) and shoot 28.4% from 3, using a zone against us is a no brainer. Plus our zone offense is questionable at best.
I think 316th was the ranking mentioned on the telecast. Not sure if that was for the season or conference schedule. Either way it's bad. Shockingly bad actually for what we thought this team could be. Actually wasn't that bad against Iowa so I'm hoping that can become a trend.

illini80

Forgottonia
very few coaches go with this philosophy but I think it's sound. It would be a good analysis to see how it's played out.

Postgame BU said that losing DMW really killed our game plan. perhaps we should have just kept him out there. I also wonder how refs react. Would they cut DMW a bit of slack?
That was the most calls I've seen all year for a jersey tug. There was zero tolerance on that when the rest of the game was pretty loose imo. I think TF has gotten some really tough calls the last 2 games.

I hate this so much. I also hate giving up and saying this is just how everyone else does it. I actually thought Pitino handled Carr and Oturu's foul trouble well in this regard, he let them play extended minutes with a high count of fouls.

I'm also of the mind that I'd rather a guy foul out at the 8 minute mark with 25 minutes played, than finish the game with only 20 minutes played. I get sitting a guy with two fouls in the first for some time, but just because convention tells you to is weak minded at best (let alone your star player).
Thing is, it's not how everyone else does it. Pomeroy tracks this number and Illinois is 345th out of 353 teams in first half minutes played with two fouls. (Minnesota, on the other hand, ranks 9th.) The B1G is conservative in this regard generally, but we're off the edge.

It's one of the two nits I have to pick with Underwood's coaching. The other one is always calling a timeout to set up a play at the end of the half. All that really does is give the other coach a chance to remind his players that Ayo's gonna get a high ball screen. Just because you lose it don't mean you have to use it...

The other one is always calling a timeout to set up a play at the end of the half

I think he only does this to try and instill a plan for 2 plays in the last minute at the end of half, which I highly support if he has the extra timeout. Sometimes they can't get the look they want in the first 10 seconds and fall out of it.

To make run in the final part of the season we have to shoot better. We missed several open shots.

To that end, Damonte and Kipper have to regress towards their career means at some point on 3 pt %, correct?

Damonte even knocking down 25% of his 3’s would be huge. Kipper too.

Kofi still had looks, but as in past games didn't convert the ones he should have imo. Remember he is 3/4 years in playing ball, he hasn't established the dominant Shaq like dunk and being uber aggressive at all times. This will come in year 2/3 of ILLINI ball imo with OA teaching him, you can/need/will overpower, just do this, this, this to get there. When this happens, watch out, with his size and alot of the other good bigs in the league moving on, he will dominate for us for sure. His growth will be a joy to watch.

And yes their coach is a private eye...
Little Richard!

Ayo has never fouled out of a game at Illinois and has not even had 4 fouls in a game this year. Sitting him out 10 minutes with 2 fouls doesn't make sense. Kofi, interestingly enough has only fouled out of 1 game this year (Mich), yet he sat 6 minutes in the second half with 3.
Coach's autobench policy does indeed result in players not fouling out as much. That's not a reason to scrap it.
This year, BECAUSE WE HAVE GOOD BACKUPS, I'm generally OK with autobench in the first half so long as the game is close. Obviously, it enables players to play uninhibited in the second half, rather than hesitant out of fear of picking up a quick fourth that will make them a defensive liability. In any event, coach is doing just fine and I'm not going to nitpick over this.