Iowa drops four sports

That's crazy that they are hosting the 2021 men's and women's NCAA swimming & diving championships and then cutting both programs.

Something tells me part of the reason they are cutting sports is to add hockey. This gives them a good excuse to do that. Notice that three of the four programs they are cutting are men's.

illini80

Forgottonia
I'd expect to see a lot of non-revenue programs cut. Most may eventually return, but many schools have no choice but to cut all possible expenses.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
But, apparently there is money for sizeable raises for the football coaches: https://qconline.com/sports/college...cle_f177d031-350e-59a9-9650-4bc91ed9361c.html

I've said this before so gonna sound like a broken record here. Cutting sports for a P5 program in this situation is at best mismanagement and at worst greed bordering on criminal. The only downside to it is you give up a modest amount of financial flexibility (read: salary raises for the highest paying people) for a few years. I'm guessing this will be spun as an "oversight" if the backlash is strong enough (and I wouldn't be surprised if the backlash isn't that strong), but it's just crazy.

I don't know if JW will cut a bunch of sports. I really hope he doesn't.

Minnesota announces they are cutting men's track and field, gymnastics and tennis after this season.

Minnesota announces they are cutting men's track and field, gymnastics and tennis after this season.

As a former college tennis player, this makes me sad. I know several guys who played at Minnesota.

I really hope Illinois doesn't cut programs, but I am starting to get a little worried. I know Whitman had mentioned the possibility of cutting sports in order to add hockey

As a former college tennis player, this makes me sad. I know several guys who played at Minnesota.

I really hope Illinois doesn't cut programs, but I am starting to get a little worried. I know Whitman had mentioned the possibility of cutting sports in order to add hockey

I hope that these programs aren't sacrificed for hockey. Tennis has been one of our most successful programs since Tiley. Of course, fencing was probably our most successful program and it was dumped a few decades back (supposedly as a cost saving move, but in reality to satisfy Title IX). That same statute will require some move in order to satisfy male/female numbers if men's hockey is added. It is certainly cheaper to drop minor male sports than to add more female sports. In any case, adding hockey is off the table for the foreseeable future until this current economic crater is fixed.

Men's gymnastics is in trouble. I think that there will only be 12 Div. I teams left after Iowa and Minnesota drop out.

Last edited: