Iowa Football Program Culture Criticism

BillyBob1

Champaign
I’m sure all these players hosted recruits on campus. Did they bother to warn any of these players Or did they keep their mouths shut?

Hmmm, so Doyle has been the Strength and Conditioning Coach since Ferentz got there back in '99.

I would be absolutely floored if this is the first time Kirk has heard of these allegations.

Hmmm, so Doyle has been the Strength and Conditioning Coach since Ferentz got there back in '99.

I would be absolutely floored if this is the first time Kirk has heard of these allegations.

There is no way he had no idea, or else he has the worst coach-player relationships in the country. You have a guy on your staff for nearly a quarter century and pretend you had no idea kids felt this way or had these experiences? BS.

There is no way he had no idea, or else he has the worst coach-player relationships in the country. You have a guy on your staff for nearly a quarter century and pretend you had no idea kids felt this way or had these experiences? BS.
I have to agree with the above statement about KF had to know. The culture is his, he is the CEO, he should own it. Especially with comments about the tank top and tattoos regarding the "Iowa Way", what a joke.

I have to agree with the above statement about KF had to know. The culture is his, he is the CEO, he should own it. Especially with comments about the tank top and tattoos regarding the "Iowa Way", what a joke.

“Lack of institutional control”

I’m sure all these players hosted recruits on campus. Did they bother to warn any of these players Or did they keep their mouths shut?

This is not helpful or productive. Why blame the harassed for failing to prevent the actions of a harasser? Sure, it would have been ideal to address this earlier, but they're also dealing with the trauma from racially-based harassment and worries that their "dreams and career [are] on the line" in that moment (notice that the person that first tweeted about this did so from the relative safety of employment in the NFL). What does it help to critique when the players chose to speak out rather than the despicable actions of this coach?

If it really bothered them, why didn’t they speak up and prevent others from having to go thru the same situation? Yes the coaches are the guilty ones to start, but if you can’t speak up for yourself to prevent others from having to experience the same problem, it doesn’t say much for you to stop the problem yourself.

"Yeah, the guy committed harassment, but why didn't the person being harassed stop him? They must not have cared!" is not a take I expected to see here.

If you had a chance to fulfill a life-long dream of playing in the NFL and you fear that outing your coach would jeopardize those dreams, why should you be blamed for not doing something just because someone else is an ***? Players receive scholarships, and their livelihood, mostly based on the approval of their coaches -- do you not think this power imbalance might make one hesitant to upset the boat? These players did not ask for this. It is not their fault the guy is racist. They shouldn't be expected to sacrifice their future (or their mental health) because of him, just like you aren't expected to apprehend and prosecute the person that steals from you. Stop blaming the victims.

When the gymnasts first got public attention with their complaints against Dr. Nassar, people asked 'if it was true, why hadn't anyone spoken up about it?' Then as it was investigated, we found out that people had been speaking up about it the entire time! Often it's not a matter of speaking out, it's getting the right people to listen.

If true, there is ZERO chance that Kirk Ferentz was clueless about this. It'll be interesting to see the moral gymnastics that the Iowa admin does to let people keep their jobs
Better yet, does KF keep his gig? Especially under the current climate and the MSU gymnasts and Sandusky. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Better yet, does KF keep his gig? Especially under the current climate and the MSU gymnasts and Sandusky. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I think he does, even though he has apparently tolerated an antagonistic environment, he will say it was all "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". Even though words do hurt, they don't compare to PSU or MSU. we shall see, of course

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...re-college-football-players-speak-being-heard

I'm hopeful that we don't have to worry about Lovie and this staff becoming one of the several schools with complaints listed in this article. I'm really glad that these players are feeling empowered to speak out.

100% agree.

This is an empowered movement and I hold hope that true changes arise from it. Tough conversations are happening and a great deal of people are genuinely listening. Here's to keeping it moving forward.

giphy.gif