Iowa Football Program Culture Criticism

I don't think statements like this are helpful or will lead to racial harmony. Whether some of these young athletes recognize it or not, kneeling during the anthem is offensive to many people in this country. It's certainly their prerogative to do so, just don't expect everyone to approve.

Perhaps this is my interpretation, but I feel they are trying to convey the message that historical and ongoing police brutality against persons of color in the United States is more offensive than kneeling for the flag/anthem. The first step toward racial harmony isn't proving one's respect for the flag/anthem; it is to have those who are offended by the act of kneeling for the flag/anthem not only listen and understand the true message being conveyed, but to also join those who kneel in taking action to address the injustices lived and experienced by their fellow Americans of color. It is impossible to have racial harmony when one group's experiences is flatly denied or brushed aside by another.

When decisive action and direction is taken to make changes to the system and those changes result in significant reductions in incidence rates of police brutality, I imagine the kneeling will cease.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Hmmm, so Doyle has been the Strength and Conditioning Coach since Ferentz got there back in '99.

I would be absolutely floored if this is the first time Kirk has heard of these allegations.
Ferentz' problem is he's a Bill Bellichek-type of coach who has always said he's in command of the whole program. Now what???

100% agree.

This is an empowered movement and I hold hope that true changes arise from it. Tough conversations are happening and a great deal of people are genuinely listening. Here's to keeping it moving forward.

giphy.gif
Amen, brother. Here's to real change. We're supposed to be the home of the brave and land of the free!!

I don't think statements like this are helpful or will lead to racial harmony. Whether some of these young athletes recognize it or not, kneeling during the anthem is offensive to many people in this country. It's certainly their prerogative to do so, just don't expect everyone to approve.
The people that are offended by kneeling are missing the point. The most cherished and protected right we have is to protest actions of our government, as set forth in the 1st Amendment. That's exactly what there protests are about and what kneeling is about. Nobody is protesting the flag or the Anthem! People didn't fight and die for this country to protect the flag and the Anthem, they fought and died to protect our way of life and the freedoms that we enjoy, the most important of which many would agree are set forth in the 1st Amendment. Kneeling during the Anthem is exercising those very cherished rights that our soldiers have fought and died to preserve.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago

The offense felt by some is less consequential than the violence and threats to life experienced by others.

Deleted member 29907

D
The offense felt by some is less consequential than the violence and threats to life experienced by others.
Exactly. I think if you stop a minute to understand why the athletes are taking a knee and realize it is NOT to disrespect the flag, rather to call attention to a continuing and huge issue in this country. We can all choose to be offended by many things if we so desire but if we seek to understand why someone is taking an action, hopefully the offended will realize that is not the intent. And if recent events, let alone decades of racial problems don't help illuminate the 'why' then I am not sure what more can.

Seek not to find offense, rather understanding, empathy and become part of the solution.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I don't disagree with what any of you are posting here. I personally am not offended when some athletes kneel for the anthem, in fact I don't see the point in playing the anthem before sporting events. But I know a lot of people do take offense and I wonder if its the right method to get their point across. I just don't think saying "you have to agree with what I'm doing or don't root for Iowa" is going to help your cause.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
But I know a lot of people do take offense and I wonder if its the right method to get their point across. I just don't think saying "you have to agree with what I'm doing or don't root for Iowa" is going to help your cause.

I understand where you are coming from, but some of what people want to mitigate is unavoidable. Protests are by their very nature disruptive. They are intended to challenge the status quo and to demand accountability from those with authority or power in a given situation.

I would refine your characterization of what the Iowa players are saying. To me, they are saying that fans should think about what it really looks like to support a team and the players that make up that team. We all want to celebrate the successes. But are we also willing to stand with players to help overcome the challenges those players face? Are the players just faceless commodities to fans or do we recognize their humanity?

Asking questions and stimulating reflection are the natural results of any successful protest.

Dillon Doyle (the strength coach’s son),who was slated to be the starting MLB for the Hawkeyes, just put his name in the transfer portal.

As some might recall, I only moved to Chicago from Iowa City recently, and I actually somewhat know Dillon. He’s a great kid, truly. I literally helped “coach” him at baseball camp when he was a youngster and I was in high school, haha. I wish the kid nothing but the best, I really feel for him.

Deleted member 29907

D
Police brutality is terrible when it is committed against anyone black, white, brown, yellow, poor, rich etc, etc. Kneeling during the anthem is a right as long as it is approved by your school or employer other than that kneel whenever and wherever you would like on your own time thats the beauty of being an American.
What significant and needed change has come about by following the rules of your school or employer? It is only now, given a sad and violent event that corporations are starting to at least acknowledge the issue.

cuillini

San Bernardino, Ca.
What significant and needed change has come about by following the rules of your school or employer? It is only now, given a sad and violent event that corporations are starting to at least acknowledge the issue.
You really believe that breaking company rules is the way to affect change? I'm glad you don't work for me.

Deleted member 29907

D
You really believe that breaking company rules is the way to affect change? I'm glad you don't work for me.
If significant change is needed (as noted in my post) yes. Not ad hoc, random breaking of any and all rules, but in a manner that is meant to call out something that is wrong - i am ok with that. Of course, you need to be able to deal with whatever consequences that follow - but yes, sometimes peaceful rule breaking is a good way to draw attention to an issue.

You do realize that company rules change over the years and decades right? Do you think all of that change is based on the benevolence of the HR department or some altruistic guy at the top?

FYI, I retired at executive level for a F100 company - so I understand all too well company (both large and small) rules and culture.

Police brutality is terrible when it is committed against anyone black, white, brown, yellow, poor, rich etc, etc. Kneeling during the anthem is a right as long as it is approved by your school or employer other than that kneel whenever and wherever you would like on your own time thats the beauty of being an American.

I'm not sure how a school has the right to control a brief moment of political protest protected by the 1st Amendment.

Anything short of Ferentz being canned would be an absolute shock to me. Kinda tough to believe he didn't know much of this was going on with the strength and conditioning coach for as long as it did. Plus any team in the conference is gaining a huge recruiting advantage over Iowa right now because of all this.

Ferentz has more power than the Governor of Iowa. It will all be swept under the rug, or some crocodile tears will be shed and all is well. As shown by the wider receiver's comments, that guy is and always has been a turd

Deleted member 746648

D
I imagine ferentz will fire the s&c coach and be done with it. He's earned enough good will in Iowa over the years to get away with something like this.

It was a rule put in place for a racist reason that banned an act that brought absolutely no one any harm. It especially did not take away from anyone's ability to play a game that hadn't even started.

the national

the Front Range
I hope Iowa fires the S&C coach but I’m not sure about Ferentz. I don’t wish ill on most other big ten teams (except Mich... such a smug program). I truly think this is a transformative time for our country and things are changing. Ferentz has a lot of power and can be a catalyst for change. Unless it comes out that he himself was involved with the racist culture, I think he can do more good by staying and enacting change within the program. For the record, I don’t think Ferentz is a bad guy. (Their fans however are the worst)

Waiting for permission to engage in a momentary protest that hurts no one ..... expecting athletes to get permission to express their outrage in a non-violent manner to me is an extension of keeping them “in line.” That is, you can express yourself so long as no has to see or hear it.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Press conference with KF this afternoon. I expect Doyle to be let go. He should also be letting his son Brian go, but I don't expect that to happen.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Looking at Gundy's comments from April, it's a fascinating perspective in human psychology. I think he's being genuine when he's saying that OAN is a source of unbiased news. i'm not trying to make this a left vs. right thing. i think it's just interesting that he probably truly believes that, just like liberals probably truly believe some of their news sources are unbiased. Probably a source of a lot of our issues today.