Iowa Football Program Culture Criticism

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Looking at Gundy's comments from April, it's a fascinating perspective in human psychology. I think he's being genuine when he's saying that OAN is a source of unbiased news. i'm not trying to make this a left vs. right thing. i think it's just interesting that he probably truly believes that, just like liberals probably truly believe some of their news sources are unbiased. Probably a source of a lot of our issues today.
Thank you for this explanation, I have never heard of OAN. So I googled it, "On Another Note" is all I got. So, I was confused on the offense. One America News Network, I have just learned as a far-right news outlet.

Regarding the biased vs non-biased. IMHO, all news is biased, simply by choosing what to report as news. So, even if they don't show any opinion, the choice in topics has influence. I don't watch a lot of news anymore, but, I do take all of it with a ton of salt, grain isn't enough. I know who I am watching, and which way they lean/jump. So, I do my best to filter the information. Honestly, I trust the information that I get here, over the news. More respect, though still bias, since we all have it.

Last edited:
Thank you for this explanation, I have never heard of OAN. So I googled it, "On Another Note" is all I got. So, I was confused on the offense. One America News Network, I have just learned as a far-right news outlet.

Regarding the biased vs non-biased. IMHO, all news is biased, simply by choosing what to report as news. So, even if they don't show any opinion, the choice in topics has influence. I don't watch a lot of news anymore, but, I do take all of it with a ton of salt, grain isn't enough. I know who I am watching, and which way they lean/jump. So, I do my best to filter the information. Honestly, I trust the information that I get here, over the news. More respect, though still bias, since we all have it.

John Oliver is not neutral, but he did a long report on OAN. For some, it's a little more than just a conservative slant. They use actual Russian reporters, congratulated Roy Moore after running a wildly erroneous story about how he had won the Alabama Senate race and called Black Lives Matter a criminal organization.

New allegations against Iowa. In a shocker to no one, seems like it wasn't just Doyle who was the problem
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ey-says-playing-hawkeyes-was-living-nightmare

I hadn’t been following this story closely until now.

I feel bad for the student athletes who went through this. But that athletic department has been a cesspool for decades, and as far as I’m concerned it can just burn to the ground.

Karma eventually came for Bruce Pearl. It can come for the Iowa DIA, too.

I certainly feel for the athletes who experienced these problems. I do hope that nothing like that has happened here.

Something like this did happen here. It’s just that at Iowa it seems race-related, while here Beckman was an equal opportunity prick.

By the way, some similar issues at Okie St with Gundy. Seems Beckman’s apple didn’t fall far from that coaching tree.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
It seems like 75-80% of college football coaches must be lunatics. I wonder what it would take for Iowa to cut ties with Ferentz. I realize there will be an investigation, but I suspect he has the largest margin of "error" of almost any other coach in the country.

It seems like 75-80% of college football coaches must be lunatics. I wonder what it would take for Iowa to cut ties with Ferentz. I realize there will be an investigation, but I suspect he has the largest margin of "error" of almost any other coach in the country.
He would have to go all Jerry Sandusky and then there would still be pitchforks and torches to retain him.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
“The Iowa football program's culture has suffered from racial bias against Black players and bullying by a small number of current and former coaches, according to an investigation report released Thursday.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...cial-issues-recommends-improving-culture/amp/

" Investigators found that coach Kirk Ferentz was made aware of potential mistreatment "a couple of times" over the last four years and that no changes were made. "

Iowa football investigation: Brian Ferentz will keep job following allegations of mistreatment

Iowa athletics director Gary Barta said Thursday that no additional personnel changes will be made to the Hawkeyes football staff following the investigation of racial bias within Kirk Ferentz's program.

Former strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle — the main target of the racial allegations — has since been removed via a separation agreement that provided him a $1.1 million buyout. But no other changes will be made.

Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz and, to a lesser extent, linebackers coach Seth Wallace were also mentioned in allegations of mistreatment by former players.

"Some things came across loud and clear," Ferentz said when asked if is to be believed that Doyle was the primary problem.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ootballs-racial-bias-report-1-p-m/5547100002/

Iowa football investigation: Brian Ferentz will keep job following allegations of mistreatment

Iowa athletics director Gary Barta said Thursday that no additional personnel changes will be made to the Hawkeyes football staff following the investigation of racial bias within Kirk Ferentz's program.

Former strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle — the main target of the racial allegations — has since been removed via a separation agreement that provided him a $1.1 million buyout. But no other changes will be made.

Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz and, to a lesser extent, linebackers coach Seth Wallace were also mentioned in allegations of mistreatment by former players.

"Some things came across loud and clear," Ferentz said when asked if is to be believed that Doyle was the primary problem.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ootballs-racial-bias-report-1-p-m/5547100002/

I hope they get absolutely crushed on the recruiting trail for this.

TMC999

Not Iowa

If he doesn't get chased after this, he never will. Beckman was guilty of being an oblivious goof. This is so much worse. But what their AD said? Interesting. And all of my arrogant Hawkeye friends are reallllllly quiet these days. I can't even stoop low enough to poke them about it because its so ridiculous. Plus, if their AD won't say something, where is their university president? There has to be an adult somewhere in Iowa City.

the national

the Front Range
If he doesn't get chased after this, he never will. Beckman was guilty of being an oblivious goof. This is so much worse. But what their AD said? Interesting. And all of my arrogant Hawkeye friends are reallllllly quiet these days. I can't even stoop low enough to poke them about it because its so ridiculous. Plus, if their AD won't say something, where is their university president? There has to be an adult somewhere in Iowa City.
All of my Hawkeye friends are just dead silent on this, hoping to let sleeping dogs lie. It’s ridiculous because they were the biggest cage rattlers when the whole Beckman thing went down. I have noted the strong interest from ESPN in this story, and not in a good way. It would have me think twice if I had a son looking to play in college. More and more I am really thankful we have Lovie.

Doyle was the sacrificial lamb. Heads are done rolling because of this, no matter what comes out.

Ferentz is untouchable in Iowa.