Iowa State 84, Illinois 68 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin

:illinois:

Last edited:
Stealing this one was just out of reach after playing so damn hard yesterday. Iowa St has more length and shut us down all over the half court. Just gotta keep building every year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 631370

D
Stealing this one was just out of reach after playing so damn hard yesterday. Iowa St to has more length and shut us down all over the half court. Just gotta keep building every year.

?

They're down 4 of their top 6 or 7 players, and Shayok sat for long stretches in the game. This wasn't a case of us just not having enough juice to steal a game or spring an upset. This was a thorough beating delivered by a depleted team that played harder and tougher.

We've gotta find a way to play without having such a foul deficit. That greatly effects the momentum of the game. We're then forced to play tentative defense and rebound with less aggression.

Also, BU would benefit from riding the refs. What's a technical if it makes the refs more apprehensive about calling a foul. Ever since Prohm got the t for yelling after Shayok's clear offensive foul, the refs swallowed their whistles against ISU. Griffin was fouled immediately shooting a 3 and they just let it go.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
We've gotta find a way to play without having such a foul deficit. That greatly effects the momentum of the game. We're then forced to play tentative defense and rebound with less aggression.

Yep. Iowa St +14 on points off FTs. We lost by 16.

This team is what it is. We have some young talented guards... and nothing on the interior except an unheralded freshman who is surpassing everyone’s expectations.

When you have a game like today with zero pace and no transition opportunities, we are going to struggle if Trent doesn’t go off for 30.

We didn’t just remodel the kitchen after last season, we tore the house down to the studs. (No offense to AJ because he plays his butt off. I was happy to see him come out strong and knock down some shots in the first half.)

I believe our roster has improved but we still have a ways to go. We really need a talented slasher who can get to the rim and more size inside. (Imagine if we had THT..)

Underwood is establishing a culture. I’m excited about the future. This season will be a learning experience for our young guys.

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Had good feelings going into this game....feeling another sub 500 dumpster fire of a season now

Three games do not a season make, but we had better find someone besides Frazier that can get free for an uncontested shot, and than make some shots, or it is going to be a long seasons.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Here's what I texted a friend last night at 1:05am...
1542759214899.png

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Now at 1-3 for the year. Am I the only one that wishes we hadn’t played Maui this year and instead played a softer schedule to give these guys some confidence going into conference play?
This is painful now, but will pay off with faster growth for this young team.

Simply looked out coached. We looked completely lost on offense and once again gave up way too many easy buckets.

After 3 games, I think this team is really similar to last years. Not necessarily a bad thing but I was hoping for more.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
This team is young, haven’t played much together, are going to have more games like this, but I think they’ll trend upward as the season goes on. That said, it’s getting harder to believe the University of Illinois will turn these programs around before I finally give up on them.

Not going to call out any player. But our upper classmen just allowed a freshmen to dominate. Play some defense, move, make him defend you. Overall several players didn't attempt to make plays or nail down shots.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Simply looked out coached. We looked completely lost on offense and once again gave up way too many easy buckets.

After 3 games, I think this team is really similar to last years. Not necessarily a bad thing but I was hoping for more.

This is the most concerning thing to me. Team looks good when buckets are falling, but it doesn't seem like they have the ability to create a scheme or strategize their way into success. And currently don't have the established talent to overcome that. Defense looks really porous...