Iowa State 84, Illinois 68 POSTGAME

Deleted member 173571

D
Iowa State shoots a cool 18-30 (60%) from 2 pt. Of those 30 attempts, 24 were dunks or layups.
We all know this is a disturbing pattern that is the product of the defensive design and lack of a rim protector. What is more concerning is that not only do we give up bunnies at a disturbing clip, we also give up a very high number of WIDE open 3s. I would like to see someone with coaching experience break down what is wrong with our help defense. Everyone watching can see on almost every defensive possession we are helping with sometimes 2 guys (to try to create a turnover I presume) and teams are finding open men either slashing to the basket (the player the 1st or 2nd help defender left) or sitting at the 3-point line. Underwood knows this but I think our guys are over helping and then not getting back between a man and the basket in time.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
I didn’t see the game, out for wife’s birthday. I recorded it, but saw the score and was so deflated I couldn’t watch. I’m trying to put it in perspective, that any team can have a bad game and/or suffer from a let down after a tough (and late) game, but it’s really frustrating.
I am braced for another season of losing to teams we should probably beat, and playing teams we should probably be beaten by down to the wire, only to lose.

My fear is that we are becoming a sad program that used to be something in the “old” days, at least as far as today’s ball players are concerned. I don’t want to hear kids answer “really?” When told Illinois used to be one of the better programs in the country.

I guess I’ll just keep watching...keep rooting...keep hoping. Man, it’s tough to be an Illinois fan right now. Go Illini! Please!

Wanted last night's loss to settle in a bit before I commented, especially since I was so optimistic after the Gonzaga game.

THT came out and played motivated....we don't know the full story of the AYO-THT situation, it would be interesting to know it all. But for as "pudgy" as THT might look...he'd easily be the best athlete we have (except Jones maybe, haven't seen much from him since the Ayo alley opp in practice highlight). Long, bouncy, has a handle and vision, quick accceleration and change of direction. That, plus understands the game and can shoot. Simply put, he's a basketball player. Would have been a great pick up but I don't think any reasonable person disagrees with that. But it hsows the difference between the guys on other teams and on Illinois. Guys on other teams dunk EFFORTLESSLY. I'd say the easiest dunker we have is Georgi...he doesn't need to gather himself, he just goes up and as BAM once said to Brian Randle "Dunk(s) the M***********!" Our guys who are long aren't bouncy. (again, except for Jones, but he didn't play for whatever reason)

If I evaluate things without orange colored glasses, the crazy pressure defense is fun to watch, but I'm not sure it's the best plan for this team as the constant game plan. Sure play it half the time, even 70% of the time......but I think once teams get used to it, they'll pick it apart. Play it for 5 minutes, then sit back into something new...get some damn seal outs and secure a rebound and eliminate the drive and dish. Then turn up the heat again...keep running on offense, but switch it up on defense.

I'll keep cheering and hoping last night was the aberration instead of the norm. At least my Bradley Braves won.

IllFanInMi

I
You
Are you guys at practice every day? No. How do you know he isn't lost on defense? You dont. You just make assumptions based on what YOU think the lineup should be off of recruiting rankings, size, and athleticism. Not at all possible in your world that he isn't grasping the Xs and Os like he should or at the level to be on the floor consistently. Just like it wasnt possible in your world for Giorgi to be talented before the season began.
Your points are valid and most should not disagree with them. The problem I currently have with current situation is we are 1-3 and the 1 win was a gimme, with 2 losses versus maybe good, certainty not great teams. If we are what we so far appear to be, then get your athletes and length on the floor and let them cut their teeth. I could understand more if we clearly had a legitimate shot to dance and had little choice to play the guys that are ahead from an execution standpoint. You can’t teach size and athleticism, but it’s your job to develop them. Personally I’ll accept mistakes from Tev and Samba today for what they will be later. This team DESPERATELY needs their physical skill sets and they sit; you can’t simulate game development in practice.

I would hate to see a Tev and Samba lose confidence and motivation and end up being the next wave of talent give BU the finger instead of a handshake at years end. We have seen this movie before and the sequel SO FAR is every bit as bad!

Iowa State shoots a cool 18-30 (60%) from 2 pt. Of those 30 attempts, 24 were dunks or layups.

That's terrible. We're now #327 in the country in opponent 2 point shooting % at 59.7%. Other fun stats, we're #324 in fouls per game at 23.5 and #300 with 25.5 FT's allowed per game. The good news is we're #4 in turnovers forced at 19.8 per game.....so you know there's that.

Wow, what type of shape would the Ilini be in if THC had picked them instead of Iowa State? Also, could someone shut Bill Walton up? Anyone remember when he was running with Jack and Micki Scott and supporting the SLA and Patti Hearst? What a phony, annoying, slob.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
You

Your points are valid and most should not disagree with them. The problem I currently have with current situation is we are 1-3 and the 1 win was a gimme, with 2 losses versus maybe good, certainty not great teams. If we are what we so far appear to be, then get your athletes and length on the floor and let them cut their teeth. I could understand more if we clearly had a legitimate shot to dance and had little choice to play the guys that are ahead from an execution standpoint. You can’t teach size and athleticism, but it’s your job to develop them. Personally I’ll accept mistakes from Tev and Samba today for what they will be later. This team DESPERATELY needs their physical skill sets and they sit; you can’t simulate game development in practice.

I would hate to see a Tev and Samba lose confidence and motivation and end up being the next wave of talent give BU the finger instead of a handshake at years end. We have seen this movie before and the sequel SO FAR is every bit as bad!

It's only 4 games into the season. These conversations are pointless at the moment. Jones is a freshman. Trent struggled at the beginning of last year as well. These things are going to happen with young players. I believe Tevian will get it going sometime this year and I hope sooner rather than later.

We all know this is a disturbing pattern that is the product of the defensive design and lack of a rim protector. What is more concerning is that not only do we give up bunnies at a disturbing clip, we also give up a very high number of WIDE open 3s. I would like to see someone with coaching experience break down what is wrong with our help defense. Everyone watching can see on almost every defensive possession we are helping with sometimes 2 guys (to try to create a turnover I presume) and teams are finding open men either slashing to the basket (the player the 1st or 2nd help defender left) or sitting at the 3-point line. Underwood knows this but I think our guys are over helping and then not getting back between a man and the basket in time.
I wasn't able to see yesterday's game, and I couldn't bring myself to watch it on DVR when I got home, but I've been thinking about the same thing. I think it's partly because of our "on the line, up the line" off ball positioning, which can lead to longer distances to cover to get to the rim, and then when the kickout occurs it's a long way for the next help defender to get to the 3 point line. Also, the fact that teams are now just spreading us out with 5-out looks and then driving, we don't usually have anyone near the rim to give easy help. Just my thoughts so far...

Deleted member 236589

D
Are you guys at practice every day? No. How do you know he isn't lost on defense? You dont. You just make assumptions based on what YOU think the lineup should be off of recruiting rankings, size, and athleticism. Not at all possible in your world that he isn't grasping the Xs and Os like he should or at the level to be on the floor consistently. Just like it wasnt possible in your world for Giorgi to be talented before the season began.

I do believe that you're right and it's more of a case that he's not grasping the system offensively or defensively.

That said, if you're not going to roll him out there in this type of situation (down 15-20), when is a good time? When we're up by 20 vs Mississippi Valley State? If your answer is yes, my question would be...what's the difference?

Unless BU is planning on redshirting him, it makes no sense to play a walk-on over him in a blowout win OR a blowout loss during garbage time.

What's the benefit?

I'm sure he has his reasons, but from a common sense standpoint, it doesn't make much sense unless there's an effort or rules issue that he doesn't want to reward the player for by getting him in the game.

IllFanInMi

I
It's only 4 games into the season. These conversations are pointless at the moment. Jones is a freshman. Trent struggled at the beginning of last year as well. These things are going to happen with young players. I believe Tevian will get it going sometime this year and I hope sooner rather than later.
They would be less significant, not pointless, but I believe they’re certainly valid given how our metrics, as laid out above are eerily trending towards last year. The common theme last year was we didn’t have the second line length and athleticism to cover up for the gambling pressure BU employs on the first line. I hope Tev comes along and makes the impact you believe he will, we won’t know until we know.

Wow, what type of shape would the Ilini be in if THC had picked them instead of Iowa State? Also, could someone shut Bill Walton up? Anyone remember when he was running with Jack and Micki Scott and supporting the SLA and Patti Hearst? What a phony, annoying, slob.

When you read this Twitter stream you begin to wonder if all the pain killers Walton took during his career have not caused some serious synapse mis-firings. One of the premier holiday tournaments, and ESPN can not do any better than this? They are as brain dead as the announcers.

Huh? Not not only are YOU making assumptions but YOU are also making statements and accusations that are are not true. First, I had never made a statement before the season that it is not possible for Giorgi to be talented. Second, you need to read more carefully. The statement that I made does not put blame on either BU or Tevian, the statement says that his non-utilization is a big concern. Third, stop making assumptions on who I have seen play or not, because those would be wrong too.

We had recruited in this class another two bigs (Higgs, Kane) that the hope was that they could provide at least some minutes. They have not, and do not even seem to be considered for garbage time. That is a big concern as well, independent of whether that is their own fault or the coaches' fault. We also recruited Tevian (who BTW I had seen play) who I personally expected (as stated in a post) that it would take some time to adjust, yet we only seem to utilize him in garbage time. That is again a concern independent of whether it is his fault or the coaches' especially in a team that seriously lacks some size, even on the wing, and also continues to get subpar returns from Kipper (whatever the problem may be there).

I thought Higgs was injured. Is he physically able to play? Is the plan to redshirt both Higgs and Kane?

Deleted member 569417

D
I will be very concerned if Coach Underwood doesn't mix up the starting lineup. I would like to see them go younger. Start Da'Monte and/or Alan Griffin.
Agree on Grifffin, but why in the world would you want to give MORE minutes to Williams? Williams needs to see his minutes decline. He is a Jaylon Tate black hole on offense.

The Tyler Underwood playing time has a rather uncomfortable Ryan Cubit feel to it...

That said, Underwood must sincerely believe Tyler is providing something necessary as Brad Underwood is in a completely different situation than Bill Cubit. I still remain baffled why Tyler was in the game.
I literally turned the game off when Tyler was put into the game. The was the concession speech.

The difference is that Trent was getting some significant playing time, Tevian Jones is not. Actually, one can argue that Trent's playing time should have been even higher, had it not been for the coaches' decision to stick with Mark Smith as a starter earlier on. When Tevian Jones gets minutes just in garbage time, and does not come in the game until 5:56 left, despite Kipper not playing well, that is a concern. In comparison, Tyler Underwood came in the game at 8:16 in a position where our guards (Trent, Ayo, Feliz, Damonte, Griffin) have been playing much better than Kipper overall. Independent of Tyler, Tevian's non-utilization is a concern.

Last edited:

breadman

Herndon, VA
I will be very concerned if Coach Underwood doesn't mix up the starting lineup. I would like to see them go younger. Start Da'Monte and/or Alan Griffin.

Now is the time to do that. Before league play starts. I wouldn't mind seeing some different lineups. I thought he did that last year.

Agree on Grifffin, but why in the world would you want to give MORE minutes to Williams? Williams needs to see his minutes decline. He is a Jaylon Tate black hole on offense.

Our backcourt is not the problem, our frontcourt is. Trent, Ayo, Feliz, Damonte, and Griffin, collectively, have been good, individually contributing each in his own way.

Deleted member 746094

D

He brings a TON to the team other than his offense and last night our entire offense looked lost and unsure. His defense will create TO’s and right now that seems to be the only way we can create transition to score.

Deleted member 746094

D
The difference is that Trent was getting some significant playing time, Tevian Jones is not. Actually, one can argue that Trent's playing time should have been even higher, had it not been for the coaches' decision to stick with Mark Smith as a starter earlier on. When Tevian Jones gets minutes just in garbage time, and does not come in the game until 5:56 left, despite Kipper not playing well, that is a concern. In comparison, Tyler Underwood came in the game at 8:16 in a position where our guards (Trent, Ayo, Feliz, Damonte, Griffin) have been playing much better than Kipper overall. Independent of Tyler, Tevian's non-utilization is a concern.

I don’t care what Tyler brings off the bench(which is nothing), he is one of the last to come in a game! Tevian has all the tools to be a great player at this level and he needs minutes. You want to see the future of the program transfer out after one year, keep putting your kid in before the guys that passed on other D1 scholarships. These kids have pride and aren’t going to be insulted. Hell, I was pissed for Tevian! “Hey January, Coach U is playing his son before me in garbage minutes. Forget what I said, don’t sign that LOI as I ain’t going to be here next year...”

I still like BU, but decisions like this made me scratch my head last night.

Even if this is a motivational tool because Tyler works harder in practice and knows the offense and defense and Tevian does not (I’m not saying that’s necessarily the case but Tevian does appear lost in games at times), the optics are horrible with Tyler being the coach’s son. If coach thinks Tev needs to sit until he shows in practice that he’s earned minutes, he should play another walk-on—not his own son.

IllFanInMi

I
He brings a TON to the team other than his offense and last night our entire offense looked lost and unsure. His defense will create TO’s and right now that seems to be the only way we can create transition to score.

Agreed, but at some point, and probably in the not too distant future, DW must step his offensive confidence up, he’s passing up shots that I would like to see him take. We are limited dimensionally enough already and need guys who have the ability to score the basketball to look to score.