Italy Tour

Kofi is in NYC. In support of DIA, supposedly UI is not alone. Rutgers, Nebraska and Cuse had problems too.

Did they all use the same travel agency?

Edit: in all seriousness I meant that as a joke, then I noticed 3/4 are big ten teams so maybe it’s not entirely out of the question.

Did they all use the same travel agency?

Edit: in all seriousness I meant that as a joke, then I noticed 3/4 are big ten teams so maybe it’s not entirely out of the question.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was a company called Delany Travel.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
giphy.gif

Watched Rob’s full game post on his website. A couple things... (TLDR: rebounding, Ayo dunks!, zone)

1. DMW and Allen are such great rebounders in the guard spots. Accounting for the fact they were playing a small undersized team, they both just attack the glass in the way you want your 4 and 5 to. It’s beautiful to watch and we need to appreciate that as fans.

2. Ayo dunked like 3-4 times. He looked like he was going up to dunk the ball as opposed to lay it up, which appears to be a shift in his philosophy from last year. One dunk late in the game was in transition with some authority. He still had a couple of those crafty Ayo layups too. We’ll see what he does vs bigger teams.

3. We played a good amount of zone in the second half. I’m kind of a zone nerd so I loved it. Mostly 1-3-1 with some 2-3 mixed in as well. BU has consistently gone to a 3-2 (with the exception of our amazing 1-3-1 run in the Gonzaga game) when he’s gone zone, so they are definitely mixing it up. He’s also talked about zone a bit in interviews.

In the 1-3-1 they were mixing guys all over the place. Good length allows for some interchangeable parts. I’d love to see what it looks like with Kofi eating up space in the middle with length around him. I was surprised by Trent on the wing though. Figured he’d be on the baseline for his corner to corner speed.

The 2-3 had a mix of basic 2-3 principles and some of the Boeheim principles at times as well. Some of the Syracuse stuff is a little aggressive for me, but that’s BU’s defensive style too. We finally have some length and athleticism out there too, so hopefully that helps us do it well.

Dan

Admin
Pregame note: Fighting Illini senior Andres Feliz & freshman Kofi Cockburn will not join the team in Italy due to visa issues that were unable to be resolved.

Feliz is in the Dominican Republic while Cockburn is in New York. They will return to the U of I campus at the same timeline as their teammates, prior to the start of fall semester classes which begin Aug. 26.

https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/

I'm really surprised that someone at the university doesn't have enough pull to get a visa turned around for 2 players on a university basketball team.

Deleted member 29907

D
Italy is being extra diligent on visiting tourists from countries requiring visas.
...cause we know terrorist organizations spend years developing basketball players to get on US college basketball teams so that they can eventually execute their plot on Italian soil...

can we at least send them down to Epcot?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
As someone who has helped secure visas for entertainers to come to Vegas for an international talents show, I can tell you it can be a long and tedious process and sometimes there are frustrating denials at the last minute. It is easy to blame those involved at the UI, but government bureaucracy is a widely known thing for a reason.

I'm really surprised that someone at the university doesn't have enough pull to get a visa turned around for 2 players on a university basketball team.

OT:

I just plugged in "The Dominican Republic" and "Jamaica" into the Italian Visa Calculator and for both those nations it said (Italy does issue iVisa, I think it is an electronic one that you produce when you board a plane and at point of entry - but that does not apply to these two nations):

Tourist Visa Required
Currently, we cannot help you process this tourist visa. You will need to contact the embassy nearest you to get more information. Safe Travels!

So, clearly, they could not resolve it without visiting a Consulate, which could take days to respond.

Which brings me to the topic ay hand. This is a DIA problem and more specifically their travel agent who booked the tickets. Have no idea how he could have booked the Maimi-Milan leg without a proper visa!!!!!!!! There have been protocols for decades on such matters.

Universities have no direct contact with Consulates or Embassies. Not done that a way.

At best they can talk to their US Senators/Congresspeople, who through the diplomatic channels MAY be able to do something.

But then there is that little "political capital" that the politician has to consider vs. what his constituent requested.

Dan

Admin
End of the 1st Quarter:
#Illini 29
Gazzada All-Stars 8

Illini defense held Gazzada to just 2 baskets in the opening 10 minutes.

Dosunmu already has 12 points on 4-5 shooting. 🔥

https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/

As someone who has helped secure visas for entertainers to come to Vegas for an international talents show, I can tell you it can be a long and tedious process and sometimes there are frustrating denials at the last minute. It is easy to blame those involved at the UI, but government bureaucracy is a widely known thing for a reason.
Different things here..If you can't get a VISA because of bureaucracy that is one thing. It looks a bit incompetent to not even realize you need one & you don't you send them to Miami if you know there is an issue.