Italy Tour

Hello guys! Hope you remember me. It's been a while as I've been watching from afar. Just a few thoughts I have...

1 - I keep seeing all this talk about Da'Monte not scoring. Da'Monte can shoot it and score. He's a team player, and has a great basketball I.Q. If he can be like the next Roosevelt Jones, I'm all for it. Jones was an unorthodox player at Butler, yet he could fill up the stats and I liked his game.

2 - I know the competition in Italy hasn't been the best so far, yet I'm encouraged from what I've seen. I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Really liked what I've seen from AG and Tev. The one thing I'm impressed with is Ayo's three point shot development. It has developed nicely.

3 - Finally, I want to give a shoutout to one of the Illini managers. His name is Macklin Snyder, and some of you may know him. He's from my hometown and I'm proud of that boy. Helped lead the Manager's team in their championship run last year. I saw a few photos of Mack in Italy as he's helping out the team. Brought a smile to my face.

That's all I've got to say for now. Go Illini!

Love the positive vibes! Keep posting!

Mike

C-U Townie
Illini Twitter has us down by 9 at half.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
Illini Twitter has us down by 9 at half.

This is probably a good thing. Four blowouts can lead to overconfidence. Good to get a wakeup call in a game that counts for nothing. I figured the Dutch team would be pretty good. They have several players in the NBA, and the Dutch tend to be pretty tall, producing a good talent pool for basketball.

PJD86

Texas
This is probably a good thing. Four blowouts can lead to overconfidence. Good to get a wakeup call in a game that counts for nothing. I figured the Dutch team would be pretty good. They have several players in the NBA, and the Dutch tend to be pretty tall, producing a good talent pool for basketball.

Agreed, even though DePaul beat this team fairly easily earlier this week, the reports that the gym is 95 degrees at tip, and we are still shorthanded, definitely says please, no one get hurt, learn something, have fun and get home safely

This is the Netherlands National B Team, not A Team!

Might have done a little better against the Netherlands with two additional players. Just sayin...

Imo this means very little. We for certain are missing two of our top 6 guys. The key additions this year are not there either. Kofi at 7 ft 290 and Verdonk at 6'8" and physical 235. I didnt see the game but I imagine the lack of more physical strength inside showed up today. I wont be surprised if Verdonk challenges Tev, Kip. AG, and DW for getting the 7th or 8th most minutes tthis year because he can shoot and is likely the strongest of the group..

Deapul had a 20 pt lead on this team. Like others have said not having Kofi, Feliz, and Verdonk hurt. Also an exhibition probably tried players, rotations, schemes that wouldn't be used later.

Deapul had a 20 pt lead on this team. Like others have said not having Kofi, Feliz, and Verdonk hurt. Also an exhibition probably tried players, rotations, schemes that wouldn't be used later.
IMG_20190810_150204.jpg

I think not having those two big dudes on the end and no Feluz would impact any game we play. They look like exactly what we missed last season and likely today. I think it's great DW,AG, and Tev got stronger but we will need big dudes at times vs some teams. Other than GB the two new guys appear taller, much bigger and stronger. Verdink looks as tall as GB and stronger.I cant wait to see those guys cause match up issues for others fir a change.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29907

D
Yeah, DePaul beating this team really means nothing. These are exhibition games - 1) teams (on both sides) can use them for different purposes, and 2) unless you analyze the box score or watched both, you really can't make a judgement from score only - missing players, depth each team played, who is actually coaching the team, etc. Glad the young men had this experience and a few of our sophs got a chance to break out.

16/9 assist/TO ratio is just outstanding. Also 19 steals (don't know if this is typo or just a generous scorekeeper or real) was just 1 short of school record set in 1978 and again in 1987. Also, Tevian Jones individual 5 steals comes just 1 short of making the all time top 10 list. For you historians, Bruce Douglas holds the record with 8 back in 1984.

Goodness, it seemed like Douglas was getting 4 or 5 steals most every game. So, too, Derek Harper.