Jaylon Tate's case dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recall that the members of this discussion board wanted all 3 BB players dismissed from the squad, thrown out of school, and John Groce fired and sent to the Russian Front as the usual knee jerk reactions before any facts were forthcoming. Have we calmed down?

The sole motivation was to see Groce fired because he hasn't won enough basketball games. That is the lens through which any piece of information about Illinois Basketball is interpreted by the majority of the fanbase. It would be a complete 180 opposite if we wanted Groce to stay.

The sole motivation was to see Groce fired because he hasn't won enough basketball games. That is the lens through which any piece of information about Illinois Basketball is interpreted by the majority of the fanbase. It would be a complete 180 opposite if we wanted Groce to stay.

Once again. WE?

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
Matt Loveless ‏@MattLoveless 11m11 minutes ago
Attorney Evan Bruno says they'll also have sworn affidavits with two ppl who say they were with Tate all night, and Tate didn't do anything.
From personal experience, I've covered court cases for news and often times I've witnessed when the State receives an affidavit from the alleged victim in the case, the State makes a motion to dismiss the case and the charges are then dropped. The two individuals that were with Tate on the night of the alleged incident have filed theirs, which would help the defense.

The one thing I question is why Pieruccini hasn't filed one an affidavit yet when she reportedly told Defense Attorney Bruno that Tate was not responsible. Unless if she does, then the State can dismiss the case, then the charges are dropped. Otherwise, the case would drag out longer.

JT family press conference

I read on the other board that Tate's family will be giving a press conference tomorrow. Anyone know of this is true?

I read on the other board that Tate's family will be giving a press conference tomorrow. Anyone know of this is true?

Tate's court date is Friday @3:00p.m., so I'm assuming the press conference will be after the court appearance.

My guess is that whatever information Tom Bruno got to the State's Attorney's office has convinced them to drop the charges, and afterwards Tate's lawyer and family will publicly proclaim his total innocence and criticize the rush to judgement which surrounded his arrest.

That's just the vibe I got from the announcement that the press conference was happening, I could be totally off.

whovous

Washington, DC
Reading comprehension issue on my part. I thought I saw May 3 above.

My updated guess is that resolves today, since the court date and the presser are today. Right now in fact, I think. So we may have our guesses vetted very soon.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
My guess is that whatever information Tom Bruno got to the State's Attorney's office has convinced them to drop the charges, and afterwards Tate's lawyer and family will publicly proclaim his total innocence and criticize the rush to judgement which surrounded his arrest.

That's just the vibe I got from the announcement that the press conference was happening, I could be totally off.
I agree. Any admission of guilt, or leaving of the program would come in the form of a statement, not in front of any reporters able to ask any further questions

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Guessing Tate's case is dropped and this is a "we are happy to report Tate has been absolved of all this" type press conference. Just going based on the confidence of his attorney and the general scuttlebutt out there... fingers crossed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If a trial date has been set, the judge must have granted the State's motion to allow in the hearsay evidence. Had he denied the motion, I am guessing he would have given the State more time to decide what it wanted to do before setting a trial date.

whovous

Washington, DC
Probably should fix the "pieruccini's lawyer" part, as the exhibits were offered by the State.

Derek Piper ‏@DPiperScout 3m3 minutes ago
#Illini Jaylon Tate's mother, Arisa Johnson, addressed the media. Said UI basketball program has "stood by Jay...Especially Coach Groce"

As I've always said, this is out of staff's hands. University Dean of Studentsl will determine Tate's fate. That way Groce and staff will not look bad. Charlie Moore's fate will long be decided before June 7th.

As I've always said, this is out of staff's hands. University Dean of Studentsl will determine Tate's fate. That way Groce and staff will not look bad. Charlie Moore's fate will long be decided before June 7th.

There are 6 people with affidavits that confirm they were with Tate all night. If the state doesn't come up with anything on Tate, I hope this ends on June 7.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]ZRgxyXB2bjg[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.