Jerrance Howard Fined For Drug Offense

Rockford, Illinois
So, according to the article, Jerrance never told Self about his arrest. Not good.

uh, Maine
In certainly no saint, but this is just dumb on his part. As the leader of young men, he needs to set the example.

Baltimore, MD
the word on the street in Peoria is that JH is interested in the head coaching job if it becomes available and would have been viewed as top candidate. not sure if this changes things. interesting timing (Ford on the brink of firing for BU) for this story to break considering that the offense occurred last summer.

Lindenhurst, IL
Really pretty amazing if he did not tell Self about this. You would have to think he gets some form of suspension without pay from Kansas. I also agree that certainly his near future head coaching opportunities are gone now, even though in a few years it will pass.

Alabama
How could he be under court supervision until Friday and Self is just now finding out about this? And how did it just now come out?

Doesn't Kansas ever play in Colorado? Or find a recruit in Washington that you need to visit. That's when you go shopping, Snacks

The timing of this is the Journal Star's way of trying to influence the likely coaching search. Unfortunately, much of Peoria and the BU community falls in one of 2 buckets: you dislike the current BU Admin, or you love them (or are at least afraid to criticize them) And everything done in relation to BU is done more so the other side doesn't get their way as opposed to what's best for the university. It's been pretty obvious that the athletic department has been in shambles (as a former BU student athlete it pains me to say that), but there have been rumors of growing dissent amongst faculty and financial issues as well (as an alum, that's embarrassing). I'm not saying that Howard is or isn't qualified to head the basketball program (or should with this recent news), but it's a bit of a soap opera on the Hilltop in Peoria, and the fact this reporter kept this in his pocket until now isn't surprising.

Dumb move but I think some of you are being a bit overly dramatic. Career killer for having a misdemeanor amount of marijuana on him? Good grief, this isn't the 70's anymore. More and more municipalities won't even prosecute these "crimes" anymore. He may spend an extra year in assistant coach land as a result but assuming he stays out of trouble he'll be back. Self won't fire him for this unless he sees limited value in Snacks to begin with.

Sure it shows a certain lack of judgment/intelligence but so does chewing tobacco or getting drunk. If you limited visits to your kids only to people that didn't actively do those three things, you'd have about 5 recruiters/coaches in the nation and none of them would be Illinois coaches.

As a coach and teacher of kids myself, I find this disgusting. I also find all the other illegal (with the law) crap these leaders do to be awful as well. How can you tell these young men you are coaching to stop doing drugs and make good decisions, if you can't do it yourself. I feel terrible for these peoples' families who have to deal with this stuff as well. How embarrassing. I am glad he isn't here, and I hope he gets fired.

Dumb move but I think some of you are being a bit overly dramatic. Career killer for having a misdemeanor amount of marijuana on him? Good grief, this isn't the 70's anymore. More and more municipalities won't even prosecute these "crimes" anymore. He may spend an extra year in assistant coach land as a result but assuming he stays out of trouble he'll be back. Self won't fire him for this unless he sees limited value in Snacks to begin with.

Sure it shows a certain lack of judgment/intelligence but so does chewing tobacco or getting drunk. If you limited visits to your kids only to people that didn't actively do those three things, you'd have about 5 recruiters/coaches in the nation and none of them would be Illinois coaches.

You sure about that? I am not sure about it either way. I'd like to think that a coach, such as Groce, that talk about his faith an awful lot doesn't get drunk. Maybe I am being naive.

You sure about that? I am not sure about it either way. I'd like to think that a coach, such as Groce, that talk about his faith an awful lot doesn't get drunk. Maybe I am being naive.

He certainly has been reported as chewing tobacco. It's not a crime so I get the difference but it's still an extremely stupid habit that suggests a certain lack of self-discipline and judgment.

The point I am making is that if you expect a coach that comes into your living room to be some kind of 1950's era saint, you're going to be disappointed. These are men, not saints.

Really pretty amazing if he did not tell Self about this. You would have to think he gets some form of suspension without pay from Kansas. I also agree that certainly his near future head coaching opportunities are gone now, even though in a few years it will pass.

Not telling Self is just stupid. It was going to come out eventually and it is better to be up front about the thing and take responsibility for it. That said, he probably doesn't get fired for it and it likely fades away and is forgotten. It would bother me as a recruit's parent but honestly they will likely never know unless they do their own research. Howard obviously isn't going to tell them and I am sure no one else from Kansas is going to either. Self can say its being handled internally and maybe Howard takes a suspension or something.

It might hurt his Bradley candidacy for sure. Who knows though- he was really the sort of guy Bradley needs to turn the program around. But it is hard to justify hiring him and sending him out to be an example and leader of young people and not worry that his out smoking up with them.
Pot has become unfortunately so acceptable and it is disturbing to me. Marijuana use in the NBA and college basketball (college in general) is rampant. Even most of the nation's leaders that think legalization is a good idea are largely unaware of so many of the risks and dangers of recreational use. Medical stuff can be debated I suppose. At any rate, the idea of athletes smoking anything is stupid. But photos and rumors link so many of the greatest athletes to pot use and I find it disconcerting.

Not telling Self is just stupid. It was going to come out eventually and it is better to be up front about the thing and take responsibility for it. That said, he probably doesn't get fired for it and it likely fades away and is forgotten. It would bother me as a recruit's parent but honestly they will likely never know unless they do their own research. Howard obviously isn't going to tell them and I am sure no one else from Kansas is going to either. Self can say its being handled internally and maybe Howard takes a suspension or something.

It might hurt his Bradley candidacy for sure. Who knows though- he was really the sort of guy Bradley needs to turn the program around. But it is hard to justify hiring him and sending him out to be an example and leader of young people and not worry that his out smoking up with them.
Pot has become unfortunately so acceptable and it is disturbing to me. Marijuana use in the NBA and college basketball (college in general) is rampant. Even most of the nation's leaders that think legalization is a good idea are largely unaware of so many of the risks and dangers of recreational use. Medical stuff can be debated I suppose. At any rate, the idea of athletes smoking anything is stupid. But photos and rumors link so many of the greatest athletes to pot use and I find it disconcerting.

Self may have known.

Northbrook
Self may have known.
I believe in the article he said he just became aware of it.

I don't think it should be a career killer, but it would likely be a short term career killer. I'm guessing Bradley would overlook this a few years from now, but not this year. It will be interesting to see how KU reacts.

I don't think it should be a career killer, but it would likely be a short term career killer. I'm guessing Bradley would overlook this a few years from now, but not this year. It will be interesting to see how KU reacts.

I read that Self claimed that.

Lexington, KY

It would make sense for Self to remain blissfully unaware as long as possible, because if he knew he might have to DO something. If he can just avoid directly addressing the situation, there is a chance that the whole thing would run its course without him having to address the situation. Self was probably unaware in the same way that I am unaware that the bathroom is dirty when my wife asks me to clean it.

Just to be sure, you're limiting your comment to just "drunk," right? Because if you're suggesting that those of faith don't imbibe...

It would make sense for Self to remain blissfully unaware as long as possible, because if he knew he might have to DO something. If he can just avoid directly addressing the situation, there is a chance that the whole thing would run its course without him having to address the situation. Self was probably unaware in the same way that I am unaware that the bathroom is dirty when my wife asks me to clean it.

Or in the way that Roy Williams was unaware that his athletes were enrolled in bogus classes . . .