Jerrance Howard Fined For Drug Offense

I don't know about career killer, but it might convince some potential employers that he's not mature enough to handle a HC gig yet.

You sure about that? I am not sure about it either way. I'd like to think that a coach, such as Groce, that talk about his faith an awful lot doesn't get drunk. Maybe I am being naive.

i do not know you, and i am sure you are a wonderful person, but i do not know what i dislike the most about this comment

how do people still correlate "talking about faith" with any type of expected behavior by the one doing the talking?

have you not noticed that hypocrisy is not all that uncommon among those that do the loudest talking?

and i am not sure I would even call this hypocrisy anyway - what does faith in an almighty deity have to do with an enjoying drinking alcohol, even to excess?

also, why would getting drunk be considered bad in and of itself anyway?

from what very little i can reasonably think i know about him, i like john groce a lot.

and i sincerely hope he drinks and/or uses some other recreational drug(s) in a safe, controlled manner when he has the time and opportunity to relax a little bit - because otherwise his high stress occupation is probably taking an unnecessary toll on his health.

The paign born and raised
For having a little weed? Doubtful

Not having the weed but I'm sure Self knew he smoked, how long have they known each other? Everything after that is what's going to get him fired.

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Not having the weed but I'm sure Self knew he smoked, how long have they known each other? Everything after that is what's going to get him fired.
I used to live about a mile from JHo when he was in Urbana and would see him all the time at night at the County Market on Philo. He looked a little baked sometimes, and often was buying alcohol and some snacks (he he). Not surprised.

The paign born and raised
I used to live about a mile from JHo when he was in Urbana and would see him all the time at night at the County Market on Philo. He looked a little baked sometimes, and often was buying alcohol and some snacks (he he). Not surprised.

He used to bring his car to me at the shop i was with at the time. Even when he wasn't stoned i always wondered where the "charisma" was that i had heard so much about.

Can you imagine the stories out of College Station from '05-'07 w/Gillispie and Snacks there together. :D

Not a very smart move.. That could be a career killer.. But I am sure DePaul would look past it.. I would bet money he is gone from Kansas and soon. He just lost all credibility recruiting in home. Every coach in the world will throw that fact to the parents.. Want your kid playing for a pot head? Good lord what was he thinking.

He is only gone from KU if he is ineffective as a recruiter. If it becomes an issue, then yes, if not, this offense in of of itself will not matter.

Dumb move but I think some of you are being a bit overly dramatic. Career killer for having a misdemeanor amount of marijuana on him? Good grief, this isn't the 70's anymore. More and more municipalities won't even prosecute these "crimes" anymore. He may spend an extra year in assistant coach land as a result but assuming he stays out of trouble he'll be back. Self won't fire him for this unless he sees limited value in Snacks to begin with.

Sure it shows a certain lack of judgment/intelligence but so does chewing tobacco or getting drunk. If you limited visits to your kids only to people that didn't actively do those three things, you'd have about 5 recruiters/coaches in the nation and none of them would be Illinois coaches.

It isn't a crime to get drunk or chew tobacco. It is, however, illegal to do so and then drive afterwards. I suspect people will look at the marijuana charge as a similar offense to a DUI/DWI.

Northbrook
I always wondered where the "charisma" was that i had heard so much about.

I met him a few times and I always wondered the same thing. Nice guy and friendly, but I never understood the charisma label.

If you think a pot arrest is going to hurt his ability to recruit, you are insane. Pot is ubiquitous with high school kids and becoming more legal every week. In 10 years when it is legal to have, he can say I was ahead of the times. I guarantee more high school kids will be open to this and support him than push him away because of pot.

The hand wringing over pot in 2015 is very short-sighted. I am a firm believer if you haven't smoked pot by 25 there is something wrong with you and if at 35 pot is still a staple of your life there is something wrong with you.

New York
It isn't a crime to get drunk or chew tobacco. It is, however, illegal to do so and then drive afterwards. I suspect people will look at the marijuana charge as a similar offense to a DUI/DWI.

Really going on a tangent here, but marijuana and drunk driving are nothing alike. Marijuana arguably causes harm to yourself and certainly puts others around you at no greater risk than if you'd been drinking, which is perfectly legal. Drunk driving puts lives at risk - yours and others.

Enforcement of marijuana laws -- those marijuana laws that remain -- is getting sparser and sparser. I'm a little bit in disbelief that Illinois/Peoria is still spending resources going after people on possession, unless maybe the cop and judge in this case were big Illini fans. If I were the presiding judge in a criminal case involving a coach of a rival, I'd probably have to recuse myself.

Which is all we can go on at this point.

I wish you were my high school principal. He never seemed to think my 'claims' were evidence.

This thread is interesting to read between the two arms of humanity. One that thinks there is something wrong with marijuana and the other that thinks it is no big deal.

Denver, CO
Really going on a tangent here, but marijuana and drunk driving are nothing alike. Marijuana arguably causes harm to yourself and certainly puts others around you at no greater risk than if you'd been drinking, which is perfectly legal. Drunk driving puts lives at risk - yours and others.

This thought process really needs to go away. From Colorado's year in review on Marijuana use:
The committee found substantial evidence that risk of motor vehicle crash doubles among drivers with recent marijuana use. Additionally, we found substantial evidence for a positive relationship between THC blood level and motor vehicle crash risk –that is, substantial evidence that the higher the level of THC in blood, the higher the crash risk.

This thought process really needs to go away. From Colorado's year in review on Marijuana use:

He did not say you can drive stoned. Nobody thinks that as far as I know. He was saying driving buzzed/drunk is much worse than a person merely smoking weed (not driving).

Mokena, IL
"Munchies" might be more appropriate now.

New York
He did not say you can drive stoned. Nobody thinks that as far as I know. He was saying driving buzzed/drunk is much worse than a person merely smoking weed (not driving).

Yes, thanks. of course driving stoned is completely different. I don't think there were any allegations that JH was driving stoned, so I don't know why we're talking about that here.

Northbrook
I wish you were my high school principal. He never seemed to think my 'claims' were evidence.

This thread is interesting to read between the two arms of humanity. One that thinks there is something wrong with marijuana and the other that thinks it is no big deal.
I don't know that I believe Self, but absent of any contradictory evidence, I have trouble suggesting he did.

I'm not sure I think recreational pot usage is a big deal, but it is illegal and if an employee of mine that was selling my program to families, it would be a much bigger deal. Certainly some (many?) of those families wouldn't care, but if I were the head coach and telling kids in my program to use good judgment and stay out of trouble, it would be tough to do while supporting a coach that has not done that.

Yes, thanks. of course driving stoned is completely different. I don't think there were any allegations that JH was driving stoned, so I don't know why we're talking about that here.

Not trying to be snarky, but you mentioned in your original post that drinking was worse than marijuana smoking and cited the example of drunk driving causing harm to others.

I could be confused though. There is something obviously wrong with me, since I didn't smoke pot before (or after) age 25.