Jerrance Howard Fined For Drug Offense

Not trying to be snarky, but you mentioned in your original post that drinking was worse than marijuana smoking and cited the example of drunk driving causing harm to others.

I could be confused though. There is something obviously wrong with me, since I didn't smoke pot before (or after) age 25.

Drunken parachuteless skydiving is much more dangerous than lighting up a doobie on your couch, too.

New York
Not trying to be snarky, but you mentioned in your original post that drinking was worse than marijuana smoking and cited the example of drunk driving causing harm to others.

I could be confused though. There is something obviously wrong with me, since I didn't smoke pot before (or after) age 25.

I said that drunk driving was worse than marijuana smoking. high driving is way worse than smoking marijuana. i never said that drinking was worse than smoking marijuana, although the point is arguable.

in case this is still too difficult to parse:

drinking -- roughly equivalent to smoking marijuana.
driving drunk -- or high -- is way worse.

OP was saying that marijuana possession offense might be viewed like a drunk driving offense because both are against the law. i was responding that the two are completely not comparable.

just because something is illegal doesn't mean that it's comparable to a DUI -- there are lots of things that are illegal/criminal that we don't care about -- for instance this one -- http://www.theatlantic.com/business...now-a-crime-to-unlock-your-smartphone/272552/. If Jerrance unlocked his smart phone -- and somehow got cited for that, would anyone think it's a big deal? (Kelvin Sampson on the other hand)

Agreed! Who is he? Certainly don't believe "he" is Groce. Certainly Dayton should been clearer.

Dayton was almost certainly referring to Groce. There's at least one photo were you can pretty clearly see a tin of chewing tobacco in Groce's pocket.

Just to be sure, you're limiting your comment to just "drunk," right? Because if you're suggesting that those of faith don't imbibe...

Yes, I believe Christians who believe in what the Bible says should not be getting drunk. The Bible does not say anywhere that you cannot drink. It does tell us to follow laws and rules, so you should be 21.

Dayton was almost certainly referring to Groce. There's at least one photo were you can pretty clearly see a tin of chewing tobacco in Groce's pocket.

I've never seen it. Could just as well have been mints that come in similar packaging. I don't really think it squares with the image he portrays. I know Beckman has been videoed with chewing tobacco.

Last edited:
i do not know you, and i am sure you are a wonderful person, but i do not know what i dislike the most about this comment

how do people still correlate "talking about faith" with any type of expected behavior by the one doing the talking?

have you not noticed that hypocrisy is not all that uncommon among those that do the loudest talking?

I try to see the good in people and try to believe what people are saying, within reason.

I realize people are hypocrites; everyone is in some ways, though sometimes unintentional.

and i am not sure I would even call this hypocrisy anyway - what does faith in an almighty deity have to do with an enjoying drinking alcohol, even to excess?

Faith in God has to do with believe that the Bible is Truth, and the Bible says that we should not get drunk. That is all. If you do not believe in what the Bible says, there is nothing hypocritical about you getting drunk.

also, why would getting drunk be considered bad in and of itself anyway?

I doubt it is very good for your health, BUT if you do it in a responsible way (without driving for example) AND it is not against what you believe, I guess there is nothing wrong with it in and of itself.

from what very little i can reasonably think i know about him, i like john groce a lot.

I do too.

and i sincerely hope he drinks and/or uses some other recreational drug(s) in a safe, controlled manner when he has the time and opportunity to relax a little bit - because otherwise his high stress occupation is probably taking an unnecessary toll on his health.

There are lots of other things to do to relieve stress than drink and/or use drugs.

Kirksville, MO
It's not tobacco, it's coursely ground espresso beans.
Do your fake research like the rest of us.

Kirksville, MO
Is anyone else put off by the non-secular course this discussion has taken?
Justifying anyone's decisions based upon a set of religious and/or political (non)beliefs in a public forum is generally a recipe for trouble.

Last edited:
Don't know if someone already posted it, but Werner just RT'd an account stating Jerrance got a 2 week suspension.

Hard to believe this will have much affect on him. He's considered an ace recruiter. A misdemeanor, even an embarrassing one, isn't likely to hurt him. Auburn just hired Pearl, for example, and I'd consider his transgressions with the NCAA more problematic than a minor dope charge.

Lexington, KY
Hard to believe this will have much affect on him. He's considered an ace recruiter. A misdemeanor, even an embarrassing one, isn't likely to hurt him. Auburn just hired Pearl, for example, and I'd consider his transgressions with the NCAA more problematic than a minor dope charge.

I think Bradley would still want him. That program is such a mess now.

Also, its Auburn. There is a reason why people joke about Auburn scooping up all of the good football players dismissed from their programs, and thats because they value winning pretty highly, and would be willing to take a chance on someone. I am not sure a smaller school would want to take that chance.

Is anyone else put off by the non-secular course this discussion has taken?
Justifying anyone's decisions based upon a set of religious and/or political (non)beliefs in a public forum is generally a recipe for trouble.
I'm just surprised at how divisive a "JG fined" thread has become..

many vices out there...food, beer, sex, pot,....... college basketball msg boards:),

I prefer to minimize harsh judgements...humans are flawed and some are self destructive.

all that said... it will be interesting how UK handles it.

Had he disclosed this earlier this would be in the rear view mirror by now. Really dumb to try and hide this.

Elmhurst
Short term, this hurts Howard, particularly with landing a head coaching gig. Long term, its a blip on the screen.

What really hurts Howard is failing to disclose this to the guy and the university he works for. Dumb.

Short term, this hurts Howard, particularly with landing a head coaching gig. Long term, its a blip on the screen.

What really hurts Howard is failing to disclose this to the guy and the university he works for. Dumb.

The more I thought about this, the more I am not so sure that he really didn't disclose it and that Self doesn't have some blame here. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I suspect that Howard may have told Self and Self didn't want to discipline him for it and agreed that everyone just lay low and not discuss it but if it were discovered, he would just have the reaction we saw. Just say that he heard about it for the first time and then impose discipline once he had to due to public perception.

The paign born and raised

Keep in mind that's about the time things really started to heat up for them in the Cliff sweepstakes, i'm sure they knew about it but wanted to avoid a PR disaster at least until they got their last big fish.

Deleted member 10676

D
I heard he is now suspended. I think his career at Kansas is over.
as others have posted here, two week suspension.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ard-suspended-two-weeks-2014-marijuana-charge

Howard, 34, is considered one of the rising stars in coaching, working under Larry Brown at SMU and Bruce Weber at Illinois before joining the Jayhawks. He is especially known for his work in recruiting, helping land five-star prospect Cliff Alexander in last year's class and leading the recruitment of Malik Newman, one of the top unsigned players in this year's class.
"Jerrance has been a part of our family for any years," Self said. "I'm confident that he will take ownership of this and be better for it."

Keep in mind that's about the time things really started to heat up for them in the Cliff sweepstakes, i'm sure they knew about it but wanted to avoid a PR disaster at least until they got their last big fish.

Cliff was already signed, sealed and delivered when this occurred. It had no impact whatsoever. It was a million dollar blunder however because I'm sure JH would've returned to Peoria for the Bradley job if given the opportunity. He'll have to lay low for a little bit and he'll be reconsidered for HCoaching jobs down the road.